all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pike press technique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello,

as my main focus this year are parallettes, pike presses are a a natural part of that.
When doing these with the hand on the parallettes and feet on the floor (on the very tip of the big toes), I noticed something: my feet rise from the floor when I am on the deepest point of the eccentric so that I am airbourne for a brief moment. Is this a good thing/does it make sense? My rationale is that it might be beneficial since you are shifting more weight onto your hands which you also have to do when doing handstand presses on the parallettes. Or would it be better to keep the tiptoes on the floor throughout the whole movement?

Hello,

Keep your toes on the ground, shift weight forward to your hands - toes still have contact - lower down and let your head touch the ground slightly press back up (vertical!) and then back to reset.

You are welcome to submit a video and the community here can give you a form check :)

Here is a pic of me doing Pike Press
Note: toes on the ground, weight shifted forward

DSC01702.JPG

GMB Fitness made a good vid about bent arm pressing - Pike Press

/Martin Joe

Thank you very much @Martin Joe
I am just starting out parallettes and it really humbles me and puts me into a beginner stage which I actually enjoy.

Just filmed two videos

Would you recommend keeping the head neutral (vs slightly extended as in the videos)?
I realized I have a slightly larger ROM when kept neutral.

Would you recommend keeping the head neutral (vs slightly extended as in the videos)?
I realized I have a slightly larger ROM when kept neutral.

You're doing great!
Keep the head neutral. In that way your back stays flat = easier to hold the tension in the more difficult progressions. Also as you have experienced that your ROM increases which will help you bridge the gab from where you are to further progressions i.eg. Bent arm stand, Handstand push-ups.

Thanks for posting the vids. It was nice to see what you were working on.

/Martin Joe

Hello,

as my main focus this year are parallettes, pike presses are a a natural part of that.
When doing these with the hand on the parallettes and feet on the floor (on the very tip of the big toes), I noticed something: my feet rise from the floor when I am on the deepest point of the eccentric so that I am airbourne for a brief moment. Is this a good thing/does it make sense? My rationale is that it might be beneficial since you are shifting more weight onto your hands which you also have to do when doing handstand presses on the parallettes. Or would it be better to keep the tiptoes on the floor throughout the whole movement?

I'm assuming you're working towards a full HSPU on the parallettes. If so the toes rising should be fine, it might just be a lack of ROM in your pike (which is not the goal). A progression would be elevating your feet anyway, and your body naturally seems to be doing that, so just keep at it.

Nice start! I also used this exact progression to get a handstand push-up. I do have a couple of suggestions for you and I will address your head position concern as well:

1. Look toward the floor during the reps. You want to just be able to see your pinkies out of your peripheral vision. Number two will help with this. When you are doing frees handstand push-ups you'll want to look toward the floor for alignment and balance.

2. Allow your head to come just a little further forward during the descent. When your forehead is level with your hands (before you descend below the parallettes) be sure you have a 90-degree angle at your elbows and vertical forearms.

3. At the top of every rep, shrug your shoulders to your ears to get your traps more involved and be sure you're getting a moderate hamstring stretch.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot guys, I think I kinda figured it out in the meantime. Currently I am at feet at 50 cm hight and hands on parallettes (30 cm hight) which allows for a full range of motion. Also, I really drive the head forward rather than just between the hands.

This tutorial is really good:
How to do Pike Pushups with Perfect Form and Setup

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom