all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pistol Flexibility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JoshuaH86

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everyone,
I just switched back to the Naked Warrior program after a couple years, I'm GTGing sets of 3 for pistols and sets of 2 for one arm pushups. My flexibility is lacking with my free leg, my heel hits the ground on the way up. I'm wondering how I can combine hand kicks with PNF stretching to fix it, and if I can do any active flexibility drills before practicing the pistol. Any help would be so great, I'm dying to finally master the pistol!!!!!

Can you do a pistol while holding onto the toes of the straight leg with one or both hands? This will help some, more than you might think.

-S-

I'm not that flexible anymore. I can get there, I have Pavel's Beyond Stretching, would hand kicks between sets help and PNF after sets for the day be the way to go?

Hey,

At the beginning, can you do some squats with a maximum depth. That way, you will first challenge your hip, back and leg flexibility.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm having trouble keeping my free leg straight/up, it should also be noted I'm still doing my pistols on a short box, not the deck.

I find that hip flexor stretches really help, I used to get cramps on my non working leg. I prefer to do them in the evenings after all training.

@JoshuaH86 If you're struggling to keep your free leg off the ground, you're likely lacking hamstring flexibility. It's been my experience that simple toe-touching stretches really help the pistol; get to the point where you can stand up with your head tucked between your knees (legs straight, obviously) and your flexibility should no longer be much of an issue.

Hey,

I agree with Harry Westgate. I did the same (toe touch + deep squats) at the beginning, just to increase flexibility. After, I began the pistol training itself.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks guys!! So should I do my stretching at the end of the day after all my sets are done? And could I do hand kicks before? My heel tapping the ground is keeping me from getting quality reps and I need some way to get past that while I work on my flexibility, if that makes sense.

@JoshuaH86 My approach is to do a quick forward bend/toe-touch stretch before each GTG set (perhaps slightly more time spent stretching (i.e. hold the stretch for 30 seconds as opposed to 10) during the morning hours; I find I lack mobility after getting straight out of bed), and then a good stretching session right before bed.

That's just what works for me, but feel free to experiment. I personally don't put flexibility/mobility anywhere near the top of my priorities, really just enough to comfortably get into the bottom position of pistols/squats, but you may have other flexibility goals, in which case you may wish to dedicate more time to it.

Hello,

I woud like to know if there is an particular "interest" to do a crossed pistol squat like

Does it work more flexibility and balance ? Is it possible to do it without a support ? (the support aims at avoiding the foot to touch the ground)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom