all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pistol SQ

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tom Pintaric

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi folks,

I intend to include some weights to my pistol squats but I'm not sure when to add them.
I can currently do 5 pistols per leg per set....so would you add weight when one can do say ... 10 per leg / set ?

Hello,

@Tom Pintaric
If strength is what you looking for, I would pick up a weight that permits me to do roughly 3 reps (let say 1-5)

Then, I would do 3 to 5 sets

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi folks,

I intend to include some weights to my pistol squats but I'm not sure when to add them.
I can currently do 5 pistols per leg per set....so would you add weight when one can do say ... 10 per leg / set ?
Sets of 1-6 reps are optimal for strength. So if you can only do 5 Pistols, it is still a great choice for strength. You'd want to do sets of 2-4 reps, trying to keep one rep in the tank.

I'd say add weight once you can do multiple sets of 5-6 reps without having to go to failure. That'll be about 8-10 reps.

You can certainly add weight before but adding weight to a Pistol is dicey because your spine bends significantly. So I'd recommend trying to reap as many benefits from the unweighted version, dialing in your power breathing and bracing, before adding a load. Consider adding the least weight that gets back back in that 3-5 rep per set sweet spot. And consider adding a bottom pause to further increase difficulty without having to resort to more weight.

Good luck

Hi folks,

Adding weight doesn't necessarily make a pistol harder until you get to a certain point in weight. For some of us, me included, the bw-only pistol is what we want. Anything up to 16 kg or so makes it easier, not harder; after 16 kg, then it becomes a different kind of challenge.

I say these things to say that you needn't add weight to your pistols because the bw-only pistol is something of a different exercise than the bw-only version. The challenges of each are different in some respects.

-S-

Pavel says going beyond 5 reps is training something else than strength.

Doing 5 BW is enough to start practicing singles with a weight.
Not that there is anything 'wrong' about training something else than strength...
(The OP doesn't state his goals...)
And as Steve pointed out, adding weight makes it easier up to a point.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom