all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pistol Squat Form

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nihon_52

Level 1 Valued Member
Good morning,

This is my first post here, but I've been following StrongFirst for a couple of years now. I am working on the bodyweight exercises that will be required for the SFB certification. As I plan on attending a course sometime next year, I know I will need to do the OAOL push up, 5 pull ups, and a pistol squat. I've gotten the pull ups down (can do about 10 full-range pull ups), I'm working on the OAOL push up, and have developed the strength for the pistol. My question in regards to the pistol squat is, will my attempt not be counted if my out-stretched leg doesn't stay straight, as well as if there is some external rotation at the hip as I descend? I've been working hard on my hamstring and hip flexibility, but I just can't seem to keep my leg 100% straight, especially with my body requiring 100% tension throughout during the movement.

Thank you for the help!

Hi @Thomas Beasley

Testing of the pistol squat doesn't start until Nov 1, 2019 at the SFB so I'm not sure this has been determined for sure yet, but usually the testing standards are the same as the performance standards in the manual. My SFB Manual from my Apr 2019 cert says for the condition, "The student will stand on one foot holding the other leg in front of him (it does not need to be straight). He will lower himself at least to parallel and come up."

As for the external rotation of the hip, I would try to avoid, it, but there's nothing specifically that prohibits that other than "The hips descend and ascend at the same rate as the shoulders."

Hope that helps. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Hi @Thomas Beasley

Testing of the pistol squat doesn't start until Nov 1, 2019 at the SFB so I'm not sure this has been determined for sure yet, but usually the testing standards are the same as the performance standards in the manual. My SFB Manual from my Apr 2019 cert says for the condition, "The student will stand on one foot holding the other leg in front of him (it does not need to be straight). He will lower himself at least to parallel and come up."

As for the external rotation of the hip, I would try to avoid, it, but there's nothing specifically that prohibits that other than "The hips descend and ascend at the same rate as the shoulders."

Hope that helps. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Hello,

Thank you for the reply and confirmation from the manual.

The reason I'm asking now is because the SFB Cert course I plan on attending is the one in Chicago, IL in late April 2020 (it's the only certification that is close enough to me), so I figured I would get ahead of the curve now by getting everything down.

IMG_0492.TRIM.MOV

IMG_0522.MOV

Please see the attached video links. The first one is from a few weeks ago, and the second one is from last night. Please disregard my messy kitchen! :D

A bit about me: I'm a military veteran in my mid-20s. I'm service connected for both knees, both shoulders, and my lower back due to various injuries and issues throughout my service. While I have not been advised to limit certain activities, I can only push my body so far. With this, as you can hear in the second video, my knees popped on both attempts, so I really try to limit my volume before my knees and back begin to hurt. I try not to let my physical issues limit what I do, so it has been a goal of mine to do certain bodyweight exercises (pistol squat being one of them), as well as obtain my SFB certification ever since I heard of it a couple years back.

The external hip rotation of my out-stretched leg that I mentioned in my first post is more noticeable when I do the pistol squat with my right leg. When it comes to certification, I plan on doing it with my left leg because of this.

With this, I'm open to any tips or confirmation on my form in regards to the certification. I understand that because it will be a new requirement, this may be difficult, but I'm open to any and all feedback!

Thank you!

Hi Thomas!

The Pistol Squat is way harder with an extended straight leg, so there's no reason not to work towards them. A rarely seen (because those are damn hard) Pistol is the Frontscale Pistol which demands that the straight leg is held at 90° throughout the movement. So if you pay attention to the fine details of this great exercise you will get stronger as a byproduct.

In addition to your current Pistol training, start from the bottom and hold for 30s. Your main focus should be to get that leg completely straight (with pointed toes). Hold an counterweight in your hands, 5kg max. That added weight will help you keep your torso more upright so you can use the heel of the foot to eventually push back up with the right activation of the buttocks. One more tip could be to stretch the ankles to allowing more knee flexion for squats.

Hope it's helpful!

Hi Thomas!

The Pistol Squat is way harder with an extended straight leg, so there's no reason not to work towards them. A rarely seen (because those are damn hard) Pistol is the Frontscale Pistol which demands that the straight leg is held at 90° throughout the movement. So if you pay attention to the fine details of this great exercise you will get stronger as a byproduct.

In addition to your current Pistol training, start from the bottom and hold for 30s. Your main focus should be to get that leg completely straight (with pointed toes). Hold an counterweight in your hands, 5kg max. That added weight will help you keep your torso more upright so you can use the heel of the foot to eventually push back up with the right activation of the buttocks. One more tip could be to stretch the ankles to allowing more knee flexion for squats.

Hope it's helpful!
Hello!

I tried what you said. I don't have a weight I can use as a counterweight at my house, but I was able to use my TRX straps, and just leverage my weight appropriately. I was able to keep my leg straight throughout the 30 seconds, but my knees began to hurt. I think I'll use this, maybe, at the end of a workout as a good finisher.

I'm wondering if me maintaining total body tension throughout the movement causes my leg to bend a bit, as well.

Thanks for the tips and pointers!

@Thomas Beasley, I disagree with @Jakob Olsson's advice to you.

There are plenty of reasons _not_ to work towards a version of the pistol that aggravates old injuries, and there is no reason to work towards a version that's more difficult than you need unless and until you have gotten pretty good at an easier version.

You're achieving depth with a pretty large amount of spinal flexion - not ideal, and you may be cited for faulting the standard @Anna C mentioned about the hips and the shoulders descending together - your shoulders come down a lot more than your hips. You would benefit from more hip and hamstring flexibility.

Try this Google

pistol squat site:strongfirst.com

One of the first articles to come up will be this:

Getting to the Bottom of a Great Pistol Squat: 3 Tips to Improve Yours | StrongFirst

and then look at the first picture - you'll see how different the bottom position looks than yours. This is something to work towards if your body allows it.

Note that in the above-mentioned picture, the straight leg is held with a flexed ankle - driving through the heel of the straight leg can help you stay tighter overall in the bottom position.

Another article on our site, which again will appear in the Google search I suggested, is this, and it includes some things to think about before you train your pistols:

One Good Rep: How to Perform the Perfect Pistol | StrongFirst

-S-

@Thomas Beasley, I disagree with @Jakob Olsson's advice to you.

There are plenty of reasons _not_ to work towards a version of the pistol that aggravates old injuries, and there is no reason to work towards a version that's more difficult than you need unless and until you have gotten pretty good at an easier version.

You're achieving depth with a pretty large amount of spinal flexion - not ideal, and you may be cited for faulting the standard @Anna C mentioned about the hips and the shoulders descending together - your shoulders come down a lot more than your hips. You would benefit from more hip and hamstring flexibility.

Try this Google

pistol squat site:strongfirst.com

One of the first articles to come up will be this:

Getting to the Bottom of a Great Pistol Squat: 3 Tips to Improve Yours | StrongFirst

and then look at the first picture - you'll see how different the bottom position looks than yours. This is something to work towards if your body allows it.

Note that in the above-mentioned picture, the straight leg is held with a flexed ankle - driving through the heel of the straight leg can help you stay tighter overall in the bottom position.

Another article on our site, which again will appear in the Google search I suggested, is this, and it includes some things to think about before you train your pistols:

One Good Rep: How to Perform the Perfect Pistol | StrongFirst

-S-
Thank you, Mr. Freides. I appreciate the detailed response! I will take those points and articles into consideration! I think I developed the excessive flexion in my spine by "reaching" too much to maintain tension and balance. I'll be sure to work on my flexibility and maintaining a more straight back!

@Thomas Beasley, finally got a chance to watch the videos above. I think they look pretty good! I am thinking they would pass, though I can't guarantee it (not testable at my cert, which was the Apr 2019 in Chicago, so a year before the one you'll be doing).

Have you tried using a counterweight? Hold a light kettlebell or weight plate in front of you -- it can help to keep the torso more upright. Pressurizing the torso using the breath also helps.

If you are able to keep your leg straight when doing a pistol on a box (so that your non-working leg is at a 45 degree angle or so -- easier than straight out in front), that might be a way to work towards a straighter leg.

Just some ideas... hope that helps. And, thank you for your service.

@Thomas Beasley, finally got a chance to watch the videos above. I think they look pretty good! I am thinking they would pass, though I can't guarantee it (not testable at my cert, which was the Apr 2019 in Chicago, so a year before the one you'll be doing).

Have you tried using a counterweight? Hold a light kettlebell or weight plate in front of you -- it can help to keep the torso more upright. Pressurizing the torso using the breath also helps.

If you are able to keep your leg straight when doing a pistol on a box (so that your non-working leg is at a 45 degree angle or so -- easier than straight out in front), that might be a way to work towards a straighter leg.

Just some ideas... hope that helps. And, thank you for your service.
@Anna C, thank you for reviewing my videos. I appreciate all the feedback! I was able to get ahold of an old 5 lb dumbbell to use for a counterweight, like you suggested. When I saw your reply this morning, I gave it a try.

Even though my legs were sore from yesterday's workout, I was able to do a few reps and record them. I think I was able to keep more of a neutral spine, as well as have my shoulders and hips descend and ascend at the same time (or pretty close). This helped me get a bit lower without added pain to the knee. My back had less pain afterwards, which lets me know I had been arching my back too much. Hamstring flexibility is still an issue, but I feel I will be able to improve in that area by April.

I have included the videos below for your or anyone else who would like to view them:
Counterweight_1
Counterweight_2
Counterweight_3 & 4

Excellent recommendation on the part of @Anna C, and a distinct improvement in form on your part, @Thomas Beasley.

-S-
Thank you, @Steve Freides!

In regards to the counterweight: I'm sure I won't be able to use a counterweight for the SFB, so should I keep practicing with it and then test every so often without it to see if my form has improved without the weight? I plan on programming the mobility exercises and the SLDLs (both bodyweight and weighted) that were demonstrated in the second article you posted into my training, as well.

@Thomas Beasley, when the pistol used to be in the program a few years back, if memory serves, a counterweight was allowed.

The way to practice is to use as much of a counterweight as necessary to have the kind of form you want, and then you may gradually reduce the counterweight. (We also talk about this same progression for the Goblet Squat.)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom