all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pistol Squat Free Leg Foot Position

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Max Parish

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello,

I'm working on improving my pistol squat (BW and weighted). I've read many of the articles here on SF about pistol squats, but can't find the answer to my question yet. Feel free to point me to the article if I've just missed it.

Why does everyone in the SF articles I've seen pull the toes back on their free leg, rather than pointing the toes? I've been doing pull-ups now for a while with pointed toes, to help keep calves and glutes tight. When I first taught myself pistol squats, I used the same technique on my free leg to keep the calf tight. But I can't recall seeing any SF folks (in pictures or videos) doing pistols that way.

Max

@Max Parish, either way is acceptable, but we have found that driving through the heel with the free leg, be it in pistols or the other way, in one-leg deadlifts, fires the posterior chain better for most people.

You're right, this isn't often discussed. I think it's easiest to experience the difference in the one-legged DL - start one, and just sort of stick the non-bearing leg out behind you, then fire it up by driving through your heel. You might find your hips move backwards a little, which you might think would make you less stable, but the opposite is true.

-S-

Hello,

I'm working on improving my pistol squat (BW and weighted). I've read many of the articles here on SF about pistol squats, but can't find the answer to my question yet. Feel free to point me to the article if I've just missed it.

Why does everyone in the SF articles I've seen pull the toes back on their free leg, rather than pointing the toes? I've been doing pull-ups now for a while with pointed toes, to help keep calves and glutes tight. When I first taught myself pistol squats, I used the same technique on my free leg to keep the calf tight. But I can't recall seeing any SF folks (in pictures or videos) doing pistols that way.

Max

I just asked the same question but the opposite. Why do people point their toes in the tactical pullup. I find the opposite. Flex your ankle up and down and you will feel the calves are much tighter when you point your toes up and back towards you.

I just asked the same question but the opposite. Why do people point their toes in the tactical pullup. I find the opposite. Flex your ankle up and down and you will feel the calves are much tighter when you point your toes up and back towards you.
Interesting. When I do pullups, I use a hollow body position, which involves pointing the toes. I think I know what you mean about the calf feeling tighter with the toes pulled back, but in that position, the calf isn't contracted. When I point my toes, my calfs get a tight contraction, which also helps lock the thigh and glute, which in turn helps the pullup.

I've started doing pistols with my toes pulled back. It does seem to make me feel more stable.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom