all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pistol squat low rep v high rep cost benefits

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ali

Level 7 Valued Member
I've had some time off the bells for some upper body ring work and single leg.
I used to do pistols, not many just the movement and then couldn't. And now can.
Prior to training them I could sit in the bottom position mobility wise so thought I'd be good for progressing the move.
Basically, pull ups, mixed grips. Pistol.
Ring dips, airborne lunge/shrimp squat.
5 sets of 2 I've consolidated for the legs.
Usually 5 sets of 3 upper body.
Next week or week after I'm back on Q&D but intend to work the old pistol legs in between days to polish everything.
So my question for experienced pistol peeps....higher rep v loaded? Costs/benefits?
Bodyweight only at this point.....now I have it, don't want to lose it but not sure at all if it is worth pursuing beyond 5x5.....appreciate your thoughts. Thank you

Hello,

@ali
As always, I guess it depends on the goal, even though some protocols give results in both strength and hypertrophy.

Most of the time, I enjoy EMOM with pistols. That way I get a conditioning training very easy to recover from. I mostly go for 2-3 reps per side. I stop when form is not good anymore.

An alternative to this is "density training": I set a timer, let say 10 minutes, I do as much repetitions on alternate legs as I can.

If pure strength is the goal, 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with 3-5 minutes rest between sets is a sure protocol. The "Bodyweight Bear" may also be interesting (10 sets of 2-3, with plenty of rest in between). If you compress the rest, you'll get HR high.

As you noticed, all the above was pure bodyweight.

I did them weighted (about 10kg) when I performed the following circuit, during 15-20 minutes:
- 1 muscle up
- 1 pistol (each side)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Reactions: ali
Thanks @pet' .....muscle up/ pistol is a nice combo.
MU was a goal of mine a few years back. Managed a dodgy one but may revisit it as a side goal, working in the background sort of thing. Going back to Q&D before my next sprint training so see how the recovery resources go. Thank you.

Hello,

@ali
Sure Q&D can help you. Indeed, both swings and snatches are "big pulls" which transfer well to the regular pull up. So you'll get a good start for the MU.

Transition is mainly a matter of technique.

The press part may need a specific work though because I am not sure the Q&D press volume would suffice. Nonetheless, as you already have the MU, you'll get it back quite fast :)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I am currently running something similar..

Pistols can be done with VERY low volume and still be effective. I would always go with lower reps and more sets (adding weight too) vs. Adding reps.

A typical workout for me these days is

2-5 sets of very low rep pistols done full range, pause at the bottom (important),

3-5 sets of 3-5 reps on chins or difficult rows,

3-5 sets of 3-5 reps on ring dips.

..adding weight.. Eh, try adding sets instead.

Thank you....I think then in keeping the movement grooved in the context of the pistol being a side dish to keep it all low rep and pepper in an extra set here and there, a very moderate loading overtime, bodyweight.
Thanks for the inputs.

Hello,

@ali
Using GTG, I do about 7-10 reps a day. This is not a lot of volume actually. Nonetheless, it seems to be enough to drastically improve leg strength and also my running.

Kind regars,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom