all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pistol squats after ACL reconstruction

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

In addition to the above, I also would add that technique can also have an importance on the move.

For instance, it is possible that a weighted pistol seems easier (or harder) than a bodyweight pistol.

I mean that some technique can hide a lack of flexibility / or balance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@damogari , I've had acl surgery as well, 6 years ago, and I'm doing great now. I attempted pistols for many months last year following NW, but to be honest I didn't do very well. I wasn't in good condition when I started and I think I forced my progression with poor mechanics.

I have shifted my approach now: will do S&S until hitting simple, and then I think I'll be ready to start progressing to pistols with a well designed plan. I have Simple as a long term goal, and pistols as a longer term goal. Been doing S&S for 2 months now and I'm loving it. Me knees feel more stable than ever.

Good luck!

I know for my own pistol squat training after my tkr I really had to focus most on ankle mobility/ROM and calf tissue quality to have success.
I see SO many not understanding the vital importance of the ankle and it's biomechanics in the squat movement ( one leg or two)
knee and hip mobility and strength are vital in the pistol but if the ankle isn't right it just wont be a go

this was my first unaided success two years after tkr

That's inspirational stuff @Rif !

It must feel goo to be able to do that. Is the integrity of the ligaments in your knee an issue for a TKR or does the prosthesis give the knee structural integrity even if the ligaments are shot ?

@Tarzan, yes it was amazing although I don't practice them much anymore, I just wanted to see if I could do it. I do more lunges now and bodyweight deep squatting now more than anything. I don't want to test the limits of the hardware that's for sure!
I dont think there are acl or posterior ligaments anymore but my old mcl and re attached 40 years ago Lcl are still there.
the implant is pretty stinkin' solid thank goodness

with a little assistance to make up for the lack of ankle dorsiflexion it's much easier and deeper

@Rif agreed on the ankle mobility, did you do any exercise in particular about it?
Yes and no. I squat all day long, in various forms, the third world squat, hunters squat, on toe squat,seiza, etc and am always focusing on moving from my ankles and trying to increase dorsiflexion in the bottom position.

I also do a lot of calf stretching and soft tissue work. Occasionally I do specific ankle mobility drills in isolation ( band distractions with Cook mobility but that's not as common

Hello,

@Rif
Here are some ankle mobility drills:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes this is a cornerstone of what I do, but instead of the band I hold onto a bell or a post and work it that way.

an excellent tutorial on how to create torque through the ankle and hip, this foot torque idea was a game changer for me

You've got to love any training you can do with a glass of red !

That's interesting about the foot torque and the effect of turning the toes up. All my ligaments are torn in my left knee & turning my toes up is the only way I can walk without dislocating my knee. It's my substitute for a lack of ligaments.

I'm forced to use a toes out position in an ATF squat or I can suffer a partial dislocation when I hit rock bottom.

Do you think the foot positioning was a habit you developed to protect your knee before the TKR @Rif ?

Reactions: Rif
I actually stopped trying to let my knee forward or my ankle bend for so many years when I was powerlifting shooting for that wide stance, vertical shin power squat and deadlift.
It cost me.
I didn't have much knee or ankle ROM when I started but I lost that quickly and that exacerbated the stress on the knee.
We all compensate to move as best we can. the real problem is when it's done under heavy loads :)
I should have kept working my ankle and knee mobility more, as well as soft tissue work on the calf but in the end, with no cartilege at all after awhile, the end game was pre determined

Hello,

Several versions can be considered, to vary ROM or difficulty
> standard pistol
> shrimp pistol (slightly reduced ROM but stretch the quads)
> Hawaian squat (full ROM for the active leg, but reduced difficulty due to the lever of the passive leg. This version stretches the groin)
> Dragon pistol (full ROM + knee joint stretch)

They are "the same but different", with different goals. All worthy IMO.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom