all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pistol Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kyle

Level 5 Valued Member
ive never done them before , and wanted to start to learn how, im 5'11, 240, not the flexible but is there any tips or baby steps i can take on trying to learn this movements than k you

What's an estimate of your Bodyfat percentage? Depending on that, you could begin some of the progressions above, or ask to learn from an SFB. But if you carry a lot of extra fat, then Pistol progressions can be rather stressful on the knee. That could be real bad.

Baby steps are simply Bodyweight squatting. Unless your Bodyweight squat is on point, forget about the Pistol. Your time will be better spent training the two-legged variation first.

It's hard to say much else without a bit of background or training history.

Hello,

Flexibility is crucial too, especially hip opening. I worked this as a previous step.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi, Kyle
Flexibility and Maximum Strengt is everything when it comes to the Pistol. There are many steps ahead on your way to do your first pistol and you can easily get stuck on your way if you try to force the progress.

I've recommend the book "Super Joints" and master all the exercises - especially lower body exercises - along the first steps of the pistol found in the book "Naked Warrior". It is crucial to have a great deal of ankle and hip flexibility to stay free of injuries when training for pistols.

BUT .. some day you will do your first pistol and that moment is pretty awesome.

/Martin Joe

ive never done them before , and wanted to start to learn how, im 5'11, 240, not the flexible but is there any tips or baby steps i can take on trying to learn this movements than k you

Last edited by a moderator:
some day you will do your first pistol and that moment is pretty awesome.

Yes it is. I'd say it's on par with getting a first pull-up! I practiced them while walking my dog (still do, sometimes) and would practice next to signposts with the post as assistance. Occasionally I'd try unassisted, and one day, I did it! It was quite a thrill. :)

... I practiced them while walking my dog (still do, sometimes) and would practice next to signposts with the post as assistance. ..

What a cool approach to master the pistol !

Thanks for your comment :rolleyes:

I still do pistols about 1/3rd of the way down only. I get good exercise from them. I'll eventually get down to half and then full way in time. No rush. I've done them a few times in the past all the way down and up. Can't replicate that these days for some reason. I'm not worried about it.

Steve Cotter has a video where he goes through variations. One that really helped me was a two leg decent, shift weight onto one leg and come up on that leg.

@kyle , I worked for several months toward my first pistol. You must have good ankle mobility...work on improving that first if it is an issue for you. You also must be able to stay tight throughout the entire movement. If/once that's good, you can start with assisted pistols. I found using a box to sit back on and progressively lowering it helpful, starting on top of a box and dropping one leg off, using 1.5 reps to work through sticking points. Grease the groove like @Anna C describes. Practice them throughout the day, but be very mindful they are taxing on your CNS. A good alternative when you're wanting to build strength and less aggravating (to me) on the QL is the single leg Deadlift, focusing on driving the working leg into the ground.
Here is the golden ticket cue that worked for me with pistols: keep your big toe down. Do not let that sucker come up. It helps maintain balance.

@kyle I would be happy to assess your mobility and see where you are at with your pistol and which progression might be best for you. Feel free to send me a video.

other resources.. an SFB instructor for sessions, attend our SFB course or you can also check my youtube channel for 6 video series I did for an article a few years back.

However - happy to help if you send me a video - karen.smith@strongfirst.com

Here's a different thought on them:
I have gotten down pretty low before, maybe about 3/4 of the way, but typically, I just go down half the way in sets of 5. They're still good for me.

Hello,

@mikhael
What I did, in addition to regular stretching because I also had this issue was:
> I held a rope to a fix point (door frame, etc...)
> I did the move

If the rope is tight during the up or down phase, this mean I use it. If the rope is loose, this means I do not use it. The rope is used to compensate a lack of strength and / or balance and / or flexibility

At the beginning, the rope was always tight because I was both gaining strength and flexibility. The more you progress, the less you need the rope. For instance, you use it only to get up (or get down), etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom