all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pistol Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
As,highly rated as they are, I believe pistols are risky. The lower back rounds and thus can cause problems, I have seen this on many videos (rounding back), including Al Kavadlo and on this site. I don't deny it takes strength and works the muscles hard, I used to do these a lot but whenever I dropped weighted, regular squats and focussed on these, sooner or later my back would play up ( and it never does with regular squats , rows, deadlifts etc). I wanted them to be the best exercise for my legs, I would enjoy doing them and feel it in nearly every muscle, but the back trouble would follow. I am sure some will question my form, but it is extremely difficult to pistol without the forward lean and rounded back, as you will see in so many videos.
Eventually, I found adopting a sort of hack squat leaning back angle, a#@ to ground as they say, but holding lightly onto a chain secured to a weighted squat stand to allow me to lean back with the flat back. Hot exactly a pure exercise like a pistol, but safer and more effective I believe, still difficult, still hits all the musculature and allows a weight to be held for more resistance.

My philosophy re the slight rounding of the back at the bottom, as long as it straightens out first on the way back up it isn't really putting any undue load on the lower back.

If it winks at the bottom and stays that way as you go up, that is a problem.

I like pistols, but hack, skater squats, cossack, all do a good job. Pistols are still the most challenging.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom