all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pistol tutorial

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mikeperry

Level 6 Valued Member
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Good Morning!

Here is a pistol tutorial that I put together. This has helped several people achieve their first pistol. It was originally recorded on Facebook live and I finally found a way to upload it to youtube.

I hope this helps some of you.

Have a strong day!

Hi @Mikeperry, thanks for the video, thats an interesting progression I havent seen before. I want to nail the pistols after I hit the Simple goal, so I´ll give this a shot.

I´d like to know your thoughts on that semi-shrimp squat that you do before extending the leg (how do you call it?). Have you found any particular advantage for beginners over going straight down as in a regular pistol?

It appears that the semi-shrimp assists in a few ways: First it seems to force ankle dorsiflexion with the weight of the body, making it easier to have good dorsiflexion at the bottom. Also, it seems easier to pack yourself small, tight and with the center of mass forward.

I think I´ll start practicing the bottom position of the pistol once I start working with the 32 KB on S&S, so as to have it easier when I start practicing pistols.

Hi @Mikeperry, thanks for the video, thats an interesting progression I havent seen before. I want to nail the pistols after I hit the Simple goal, so I´ll give this a shot.

I´d like to know your thoughts on that semi-shrimp squat that you do before extending the leg (how do you call it?). Have you found any particular advantage for beginners over going straight down as in a regular pistol?

It appears that the semi-shrimp assists in a few ways: First it seems to force ankle dorsiflexion with the weight of the body, making it easier to have good dorsiflexion at the bottom. Also, it seems easier to pack yourself small, tight and with the center of mass forward.

I think I´ll start practicing the bottom position of the pistol once I start working with the 32 KB on S&S, so as to have it easier when I start practicing pistols.

The shrimp squat/ airborne lunge is fantastic as well. It still takes a good amount of single leg strength, tension and mobility. I actually think people should own that before the pistol. Its also a bit easier on the low back as well.

@Mikeperry - thanks for posting this, I just came across it. Looks like its ankle mobility / positioning that's holding me back at the moment, so am going to spend some practicing the first couple of drills in the video.

Would love to do a pistol someday, these drills look like they'll help for sure.

Thanks again!

@David S Have you considered the goblet squat to improve ankle mobility? Its working great for me. Another stretch I would consider is the ankle dorsiflexion stretch weightlifters use:

Attachments

• Jon-North-Ankle-Hip-Flexibility-Barbell-Stretch-Squat.jpg
    Jon-North-Ankle-Hip-Flexibility-Barbell-Stretch-Squat.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 15
Thanks @Oscar, I'd never thought about the goblet squat that way but I see your point how it could be useful. Thanks also for posting that stretch, will keep that one in mind too!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom