all posts post new thread

Bodyweight PL 1RM Max Estimates from Calisthenics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I went with squat 120 Kg, deadlift 125% (therefore high), and bench 83% (therefore high). I just assumed your bench would be good due to the one arm pushups, your deadlift would be rather high for all the reasons suggested by other posts, and the squat on the low side due to lack of technique and not used to a bar over your shoulders.

This all happens this coming Saturday the 14th, right? I'm not going to hazard a guess, but I'd love it if you'd post up video of at least the squat and deadlift. I realize you said you'd be using PL meet standards except touch-n-go bench, but lots of people have confused ideas about squat depth and what a hitching deadlift is. Go ahead and throw down the Bonus Challenge to your friends: Barbell Press. Some of them may be decent benchers, but I bet they all suck at pressing because most do.

Have fun.

I went with squat 120 Kg, deadlift 125% (therefore high), and bench 83% (therefore high). I just assumed your bench would be good due to the one arm pushups, your deadlift would be rather high for all the reasons suggested by other posts, and the squat on the low side due to lack of technique and not used to a bar over your shoulders.
Yeah this makes a lot of sense. The DL is a lot of back, glutes and grip, which calisthenics trains well. And I do plenty of pushing. I also plan to arch that bench like there's no tomorrow.

I also expect my Squat to be fairly low. I don't have much of a reason to believe it would be one of the better ones hehe.

This all happens this coming Saturday the 14th, right? I'm not going to hazard a guess, but I'd love it if you'd post up video of at least the squat and deadlift. I realize you said you'd be using PL meet standards except touch-n-go bench, but lots of people have confused ideas about squat depth and what a hitching deadlift is. Go ahead and throw down the Bonus Challenge to your friends: Barbell Press. Some of them may be decent benchers, but I bet they all suck at pressing because most do.

Have fun.
Yeah this Saturday. I don't think we'll be pressing; we talked about it and none of us really cared much for it.

We might curl though. Depends on energy levels after all 3 I guess :)

Was a lot of fun. The results are:

SQ: 275 lbs
BP: 250 lbs
DL: 325 lbs

A friend pulled a ridiculous 200 kilo Squat at 205 lbs while the other one a 505 lb DL at 173 (!!). Needless to say, stood no chance of winning haha.

I did get some props as my max lifts moved slower than a tectonic plate, yet I stayed with them. I think the form was all right, I just did my best. Here's some videos of some serious grinding:

Squat:

Bench:

DL:

Overall, I was really hoping the predictions that doing SS 5 years ago, or heavy Pistols a year ago, would somehow carry-over. But unfortunately it didn't :/. I felt extremely uncoordinated on the Squats and my DL just felt pretty weak. Maybe I'm an odd bird, but if it's something I did a year (or more) ago and I don't train it, it basically doesn't have any bearing today haha.

On the other hand, @Kettlebelephant was pretty on-point in that the Bench (instead of SQ or DL as those above predicted) would shine because of my proportions and Calisthenics training. And shine it did as my Bench was an absurd 90% of my SQ. In fact, my Wilks Score Bench was actually better than my friends. So that was a neat personal win.

Regardless, as for the eternal bragging rights trophy:

Okay, I'll play:

SQ: 275
BP: 225
DL: 315+

I actually think @305pelusa can beat all those numbers if he goes all out, but i would advise not to (except possibly on the DL.) With a couple months of dedicated practice I think he'd eclipse those numbers. Looking forward to hearing the results!

You are just eerily on point. @Oscar was close as well, but you were closer overall I believe (counting DL as 315 to be fair). I don't know who you are but good work with your guesstimations!

Was fun thanks for playing :)

Nice job, and very impressive results! That's awesome that you got the videos, too. Did it make you want to add the barbell to your training at all?

Good work!
On the squat, it is a technical issue. You are leading with your head, not your hips. With a few correction, you probably could squat a lot more.
You showed that strength is about principles, not tools.
Nice arch on the bench, too.

White lights from me!

Good work. Frankly, I would've knocked 80lbs off every one of those as my guesses. But that's just my skepticism about body weight training. And again frankly, I'm quite surprised how solid your squat form was: plenty deep, not too much knee slide, no valgus. There's another 20lbs out there if you learn to use your hips. Strong deadlift despite a messy setup. Looks like calisthenic training does improve ones ability to grind. Nice work.

Pretty impressive mate. I imagine how strong you'd be if you trained exclusively for powerlifting for 3-4 years while gaining about 20kg bodyweight. You'd be beastly.

@305pelusa it appears all of us underestimated the bench press right?

I didn't guess a specific number, but would have underestimated on the bench. Although seeing your arch, it's a little less surprising that you did relatively well on that lift.

Anyway, an excellent showing for someone who doesn't practice the lifts, and a very interesting experiment to observe.

And I don't think your lifts were particularly slow for limit attempts. You did a good job grinding them out.

Nice job, and very impressive results! That's awesome that you got the videos, too. Did it make you want to add the barbell to your training at all?
Thanks for the warm words. It didn't to be honest. BB training feels like doing the same movement, but just adding weight. Yeah as time goes on you get tighter, better groove, etc, but it's basically the same exercise (just heavier).

I like Calisthenics because improvement comes hand in hand with learning new movement patterns. Incidentally, that's also why I don't like weighted Calisthenics that much either. Obviously, the same excitement I get from doing an exercise I couldn't do before is the same others get when they squat a weight they couldn't before. It just doesn't personally appeal to me as much.

Good work!
On the squat, it is a technical issue. You are leading with your head, not your hips. With a few correction, you probably could squat a lot more.
You showed that strength is about principles, not tools.
Nice arch on the bench, too.
Oh I see. Hehe thanks I appreciate it ^_^

White lights from me!

Good work. Frankly, I would've knocked 80lbs off every one of those as my guesses. But that's just my skepticism about body weight training. And again frankly, I'm quite surprised how solid your squat form was: plenty deep, not too much knee slide, no valgus. There's another 20lbs out there if you learn to use your hips. Strong deadlift despite a messy setup. Looks like calisthenic training does improve ones ability to grind. Nice work.
Thanks! What you say makes sense to me.

Pretty impressive mate. I imagine how strong you'd be if you trained exclusively for powerlifting for 3-4 years while gaining about 20kg bodyweight. You'd be beastly.

That does sound pretty awesome. I'm currently aiming to enter into Street Workout competitions. I feel like that'd be a fun experience.

I didn't - but I overestimated DL and SQ.
I think if I actually did any leg strength training at all, these would've gone better. Maybe in the future. As much as I like Calisthenics and sincerely believe it's on-par with BB for upper body work, it's no match when it comes to legs.

Now we need to find someone who's rough barbell numbers equal yours, and see if they come close to the numbers you hit on your bodyweight movements...

Umh yeah that would be interesting haha.

Umh yeah that would be interesting haha.

If by "interesting" you mean "fat chance!" then that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't think any other mode transfers better across and to day to day than bodyweight, but I also view bodyweight as being more advanced technically than any other mode.

Hello,

Here is a video about powerlifting "versus" calisthenics. Of course, I do not believe there is one "better" than the other. They have mutual carryover - IMO.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom