all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Plan 015 Snatches

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve-piece

First Post
For this plan, is it: 0 min - 10L / 1:30 10R / 3:00 10L...etc OR is it 0 min - 10L / 3min 10R....etc?

With swings and push-ups you do an activity every 1:30, but each exercise has 3 minutes between them so I'm confused.

In my experience, 1:30 between snatches has meant about 1 minute of rest and fatigue is becoming a factor as I add weight. Any advice is appreciated!

I've seen people do 10 snatches every 3 minutes when working Plan 015. Probably too relaxed. As you noticed, 10 every 1:30 is too aggressive.

Let us compare Q&D and 015 for swings and pushes, as suggested by the Q&D book:

Q&D: 20 swings and 20 pushups, every 3+3=6 minutes
Plan 015: 10 swings and 10 pushups, every 1:30+1:30=3 minutes (half the volume at half the time)

Q&D: 20 snatches, every 4 minutes
Plan 015: 10 snatches, every 2 minutes, perhaps? (my guess, book did not volunteer this info)

Frankly, if I want to do an alternate snatch protocol to Q&D snatches, I'd up the weight and do A+A. Not as time efficient as either Q&D or 015, though.

Wow thanks, I'm glad you said that.

I was wondering if every 2 minutes might be better but did not want to stray from the program. Matching it to snatch timing of Q+D makes sense, appreciate it!

@Steve-piece -- Welcome to the StrongFirst forums!
In my experience, 1:30 between snatches has meant about 1 minute of rest and fatigue is becoming a factor as I add weight. Any advice is appreciated!
Are you switching up to heavier bells during a session? If so, I wouldn't.

My understanding is that the target physiological adaptation of 015 is fast-twitch fiber hypertrophy. In Q&D Pavel explains the 3 conditions needed to drive this:
1) sets of fast 10s
2) 3-minute rest intervals
3) lactate acidosis

Therefore, I would: stay with the heaviest bell you can do ten fast, quality reps with (+4kg from the Q&D 044 bell in my experience); stick with your timing scheme* so that each arm is snatching for 10 reps every 3 mins.; and expect some fatigue to accumulate, so a little deterioration in form too.
[Stop after 10 x 10 - on 15 minutes, not forgetting that final rest - Q&D protocols really force you to focus on mindful recovery in the rest intervals. Don't forget, "the music is in the rests."]

Edit: *the first of your two timing schema

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom