all posts post new thread

Strong Endurance Plan 060

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Pavel already did release a Strong Endurance book, The Quick and the Dead.

Having experienced the strong endurance seminar, this is more or less true. I would say Q&D is about 80% of it. And there are a lot and of very small gaps that get filled in in the seminar. Allot of finer details and specialized information.

As the method behind the madness is explained in the book, the Delta 20 principal and the minimization of glycolysis, and the principal of variable overload already presents powerful programming tools. Not to mention straight 10x10 and the victor protocol. 10 reps every 3 minutes. And the alternation between Q&D and A+A for 12 weeks at a time.

It's practically a plan for infinite GPP.

And if there's any SPP you need , you can easily intermingle and alternate those days and have some peaking program leading up to your event .

Last edited:
Little question about where to aim at phase 2? Should you aim to hit 40 minutes 600 snatches or to hit 400 snatches at 27 minutes?

Thank you guys
If you are doing 060 as per the manual (different than what I described above), then you would end phase 2 once you can hit 40 minutes (600 snatches), doing 5 reps every 20 seconds.

A quick update if anyone is interested. Doing the heart-rate version of the plan that I described at the top (slightly different than the manual) for ~4 months, ~3 days per week, my resting heart rate dropped from the mid 60s to the mid 40s . And I was never sore or tired from the sessions.

I didn't complete the whole program (ending with 800 snatches in 40 min) because I'd been on it for 4 months and I wanted to do something else.

Just recently wrote up a 3-Day BuiltStrong + 3-Day S&S program for the winter...the recovery time after a set of swings sort of blew my mind. Down to 65% in a matter of seconds.

I will 100% go back to this program in the spring!

Having experienced the strong endurance seminar, this is more or less true. I would say Q&D is about 80% of it. And there are a lot and of very small gaps that get filled in in the seminar. Allot of finer details and specialized information.

As the method behind the madness is explained in the book, the Delta 20 principal and the minimization of glycolysis, and the principal of variable overload already presents powerful programming tools. Not to mention straight 10x10 and the victor protocol. 10 reps every 3 minutes. And the alternation between Q&D and A+A for 12 weeks at a time.

It's practically a plan for infinite GPP.

And if there's any SPP you need , you can easily intermingle and alternate those days and have some peaking program leading up to your event .
I would agree with this. Except I am really partial to the intermediate fiber templates and also the "increase your reps" templates in the SE manual. #7 works every time!

A quick update if anyone is interested. Doing the heart-rate version of the plan that I described at the top (slightly different than the manual) for ~4 months, ~3 days per week, my resting heart rate dropped from the mid 60s to the mid 40s . And I was never sore or tired from the sessions.
Taylor,

That RHR decrease is fantastic. Curious, what benefits have you noticed, even anecdotally, to any traditional endurance activities? Running, hiking, biking, etc.? IIRC, st SE Derek discussed using 060, among other templates, as endurance event prep.

Thanks for sharing!

Jon

Taylor,

That RHR decrease is fantastic. Curious, what benefits have you noticed, even anecdotally, to any traditional endurance activities? Running, hiking, biking, etc.? IIRC, st SE Derek discussed using 060, among other templates, as endurance event prep.

Thanks for sharing!

Jon
Thanks Jon. I haven’t done much else lately other than work and train, so I don’t have many good comparisons to make yet. Haven’t run in awhile (I did 060 because my foot was a little too tweaky to run). Hiking is way easier and faster at same effort level, recovery time in all other training sessions is faster, high volume easier to handle, and my snatch technique is better than it’s ever been.

No doubt it would be great addition to an endurance plan but you’d want to keep some more specific stuff going as well I would say.

Quick question for you since you’ve attended a Strong Endurance seminar. I’ve been training S&S for almost 9 months now, and absolutely all-in on SE. I would like to attend one at some point.

Are most of the programs snatch-based? Or can they snatch programs be interchanged with swings?

At least now, I like swings a lot more than snatches.

I started 060 a couple of weeks ago—it's great. I can tell that this type of plan is what's been missing from my training, and I intend to stay on it all the way through!

One small difficulty I find is in using the talk test, as there's hardly enough time to say the pledge of allegiance in between sets of snatches ?

So I'm curious what you all think about tweaking the instructions to use a heart rate monitor, like this:
  • Do 5 snatches every thirty seconds, switching hands each set.
  • When your heart rate hits 85%, stop the session.
  • If you failed to make it to 20 minutes, the weight is too heavy—try again in a few days with a lighter weight.
  • If you made it to 20-39 minutes, the weight is correct.
  • When you can hit 40 minutes without your heart rate rising to 85%, move to phase 2.
So basically the same instructions as the manual, but sub "85% heart rate" for failing the talk test. I've found that people will listen to a monitor more than they will listen to a talk test.

Thoughts? @Derek Toshner
I'm curious as to why would you pick exceeding 85% MHR to end the session rather than choosing to end the session when you can no longer recover to 180- age before the next set. I take passing talk test and recovering to 180-age as interchangeable.. I think in a later post you said you have the SE manual? If so, note that the serial-interval version the template (11) that 060 is based on (10) ends a "series" based on % of MHR not a "session". The "sessions" are typically terminated by inability to recover to a target % of MHR in a particular target time.

Quick question for you since you’ve attended a Strong Endurance seminar. I’ve been training S&S for almost 9 months now, and absolutely all-in on SE. I would like to attend one at some point.

Are most of the programs snatch-based? Or can they snatch programs be interchanged with swings?

At least now, I like swings a lot more than snatches.
Many more options that snatches. Depends on the target adaptation.

rather than choosing to end the session when you can no longer recover to 180- age before the next set.
So, for the 50 yo guy that would be Z1 HR, and for someone 20 yo Z3, almost LT? How that serves everyone equally? I would agree with recovering to certain low HR value, I use the same marker, dropping to ~Z2 before next set.

So, for the 50 yo guy that would be Z1 HR, and for someone 20 yo Z3, almost LT? How that serves everyone equally? I would agree with recovering to certain low HR value, I use the same marker, dropping to ~Z2 before next set.
I'm 43 i recover to 137. I didn't do the research. I'm reporting how the protocols are structured. If you're training anti-glycolytic this is the recommendation. There are a ton of articles you can read for more information.

Don't get too hung up on 220-age (see e.g. The Biggest Lie In Fitness) and % of max (see e.g. "Sample Results" at When and How to Add High-Intensity Training: The 10 Percent Test — Uphill Athlete and this thread Max HR determination...Do you need it? — Uphill Athlete).

180-age isn't perfect, either, but the next steps for finding intensity markers in order of increasing annoyance and accuracy are probably ventilatory thresholds/RPE --> breath-to-step rhythm/maybe respiratory rate (less applicable in a KB context than to normal cyclic endurance, and the respiratory rate is a little speculative, but Stephen Seiler has been dropping some interesting hints on this) --> HR drift test --> blood lactate test --> gas exchange test. Intensity markers as % of max heart rate are probably too variable within and across individuals to be of much use.

It seems to me that 180-age is attempting to approximate the first ventilatory threshold (VT1), and the idea is that a 50 y/o working at 130 and a 20 y/o working at 160 will both be training at or near their VT1. At least that's how I've interpreted that 180-age formula.

I'm curious as to why would you pick exceeding 85% MHR to end the session rather than choosing to end the session when you can no longer recover to 180- age before the next set. I take passing talk test and recovering to 180-age as interchangeable.. I think in a later post you said you have the SE manual? If so, note that the serial-interval version the template (11) that 060 is based on (10) ends a "series" based on % of MHR not a "session". The "sessions" are typically terminated by inability to recover to a target % of MHR in a particular target time.
I picked 80-85% because it matched pretty well with when I would fail the talk test, but I could measure it. What you said makes sense though!

I picked 80-85% because it matched pretty well with when I would fail the talk test, but I could measure it. What you said makes sense though!
Also for what it’s worth the thing ended up evolving into something quite different than 060. Same target, but different approach. I was happy with the final result, should probably post.

What exactly is this Plan 060? Sorry for asking the obviously dumb question after going through the post. I understand that it is Strong Endurance based but without giving out the finer details can someone paint a few broad strokes to help those that haven't attended Strong Endurance understand?

What exactly is this Plan 060? Sorry for asking the obviously dumb question after going through the post. I understand that it is Strong Endurance based but without giving out the finer details can someone paint a few broad strokes to help those that haven't attended Strong Endurance understand?
I haven't attended the seminar, but you could take a look at this article:

I believe that Plan 060 is part of #8-11., A+A and Q&D fit #1-7.
In summary, The Quick and the Dead protocol is one of the eighteen AGT training templates presented at the Strong Endurance seminar:

Templates #1-7: Fast and Intermediate Fibers’ Aerobic Training​

Make your fast fibers aerobic—without sacrificing power and strength—for games and combat sports.

Templates #8-11: Intermediate Fibers’ Aerobic Training​

For military, law enforcement, first responders.

Templates #12-13: Intermediate and Slow Fibers’ Aerobic Training​

March or die. Lose fat.

Templates #14-16: Fast and Intermediate Fibers’ Hypertrophy​

Build more muscle—while improving your acid buffering.

Templates #17-18: Slow Fibers’ Hypertrophy​

A game-changer for wrestling and for training around injuries.

060 is a plan developed from from Strong Endurance Template #10 by Pavel. It is included in the Strong Endurance Manual.

Templates provide guidelines which can be used to create a nearly infinite number of plans or protocols.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom