all posts post new thread

Barbell Plan Strong for Over Fifty

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

robbeau

First Post
Hi all,

I am 51 years old and still chasing strength and health.

I am a former competitive powerlifter, trying to get back to a 200kg deadlift and 160kg squat at 80kg bodyweight.

I am after some advice please for a suitable Plan Strong routine, for squat and deadlift, from anyone with experience of training over-50's, currently I found I can recover-progress on one heavy and one light session adding reps from 3 to 5 before adding 2.5kg over 3 weeks, but the constant workload is taking its toll, especially as I also need to keep my conditioning up (I do A+A swing EMOM).

For upper body I am practicing OAPU (3× per week H-M-L) and weighted CU (1× 3x5 per week), with front levers and hanging leg raises.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

I don't follow Plan Strong, but I'm happy to compare notes.

Age 50, Masters competitive weightlifter, 102 kg class.

Currently in the midst of a cut and hypertrophy block before I switch to working on a qualifying total for American Open 2020 in September.

Hi all,
I am 51 years old and still chasing strength and health.
I am a former competitive powerlifter, trying to get back to a 200kg deadlift and 160kg squat at 80kg bodyweight.
I am after some advice please for a suitable Plan Strong routine, for squat and deadlift, from anyone with experience of training over-50's, currently I found I can recover-progress on one heavy and one light session adding reps from 3 to 5 before adding 2.5kg over 3 weeks, but the constant workload is taking its toll, especially as I also need to keep my conditioning up (I do A+A swing EMOM).
For upper body I am practicing OAPU (3× per week H-M-L) and weighted CU (1× 3x5 per week), with front levers and hanging leg raises.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
Rob

In my late forties I did multiple Plan Strong cycles for bench press and deadlift and was very pleased with the results. I started with the publicly available product (google escalating volume Fabio) then purchased plans specifically tailored to me. My contact for the purchased plans was Fabio and he was very helpful. I imagine whoever it is now will also be great to deal with. My observations are:

* Get a very accurate rep max to base the program on. Don't guess! If you underestimate your rep max you will end up spinning your wheels on sub-optimal weights for weeks. If you overestimate the high volume weeks will kill you
* I did bench press and deadlift at the same time and got a bit sore in the high volume weeks but it was fine. I wouldn't recommend you do more or add on accessory exercises until you see how you go
* I lost weight on the purchased plans, I think from memory because they were higher volume. This was a bonus but if you don't want that you might want to think about eating more
* I made better progress on the purchased plans, unsurprising I suppose because they were tailored

@robbeau, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

I am currently following PlanStrong programming at age 65. No modifications are necessary. If it matters, I am a USAPL state record holder in my age/weight/division in the deadlift.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom