all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Plan Strong + Strong Endurance

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NoahMarek

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey Strongfirst community! I wanted to share a bit about my training with you all.

Firstly, I achieved Simple Status for S&S last Wednesday. It felt good to hit it, and I am definitely ready to move on to something with a more formal progression scheme. My two main goals right now are to achieve a half bw kb press (40kg) and complete the 5 min snatch test (24kg). My current press 1rm is 32kg, and I have never attempted the snatch test.

With that being said, I am going to use Zsolt Derzsi's "From 32kg to 40kg" plan for my pressing strength, and Craig Marker's "Science-based approach" swing endurance protocol. My first day of the program was yesterday and it felt great! I love that everything is set up for me, and I just have to show up and hit the numbers each day.

This is not intended to be a training log, but rather I wanted to share with you all what I was doing! Let me know if you have done either of these plans. I will report back with my results (a video of my 1rm press and snatch test numbers) in 9 weeks. Have a strong day!

-Noah Marek

One more thing, I have chosen this program because it effectively combined Plan Strong principles and Strong Endurance principles! Sounds like a perfect match for strength and endurance! I chose the Zsolt Derzi's plan over Craig Marker's in his "Science-Based Plan" because it catered exactly to me pressing needs and strength right now btw. Here is the link to both articles:

http://www.strongfirst.com/wordpres...theory-plans-for-pressing-bigger-kettlebells/

A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II

Strong work - wishing you the best in pressing. My goal for this year is to get the half BW press (36Kg for me). I've done ROP w/20Kg and am currently doing the Soju and Tuba pressing program w/24Kg. In the article by Zsolt Derzi he mentions some other pressing plans - anyone know where we can get on our hands on them? Specifically, the StrongFirst Military Press Plan 410A. Thanks much!

@NoahMarek
If your goal is the 5 minute snatch test, you might want to do some snatching -- just a thought ;-).

Swings with a heavier bell will have carry over to snatching, but there is no substitute for specificity. Snatch technique also has a lot of its own nuances that will only get dialed in by putting in a lot of reps over time. If you are comfortably doing 100 swings in 5 minutes with 32kg, IMO you should be already be capable of 100 snatches in 5 minutes with 24kg -- given competent snatch technique.

I'm not so sure - the snatch test is special......

I'd agree that the 10 minute snatch test is "special," but not (at least not nearly as much, IMO) the 5 minute test.

Anyway, my intended points were more to train for a snatch test by snatching (or to not train for a snatch test WITHOUT snatching) and to emphasize the importance of developing efficient snatch form, rather than to compare the relative difficulty of snatches and swings.

Efficient snatch form is absolutely key. I agree that I don't think there are any short cuts to it either

@Steve W. Yes, that is a good point, Steve. I could have clarified further in my original post. I am trying to build more of my base through swinging a 32k kb for eventually 300 swings in one session A+A style in 30 minutes. I believe that should easily get me to passing the 5 minute snatch test Craig Marker mentioned this being the case in his article). Soon after, I will be pursuing the 10 minute snatch test and will then use an A+A style snatch protocol to achieve that.

My thinking is: build the base, then develop specificity. I am in no rush to hit this test so I will do so in a way that sets me up for success.

@NoahMarek, there are SFG-II prep programs in our blog - have a look at those since both the things you're after are SFG-II requirements.

Welcome to StrongFirst.

-S-

@Steve Freides Steve, I believe I tagged that article in the second post on this thread. I have chosen a different press protocol however because it perfectly caters to current press 1rm and goal.

To those targeting 1RM lifts with kb - why choose that rather than barbell press? I can see a slightly increased range of motion with the kb from rack compared to bb, and some core strength requirements. The use of two hands may be a little closer to pressing movements outside of the gym.

I could have clarified further in my original post. I am trying to build more of my base through swinging a 32k kb for eventually 300 swings in one session A+A style in 30 minutes. I believe that should easily get me to passing the 5 minute snatch test Craig Marker mentioned this being the case in his article). Soon after, I will be pursuing the 10 minute snatch test and will then use an A+A style snatch protocol to achieve that.

Okay to building the base. But still, if your goals are snatch-related you should be putting in lots of snatch reps and refining your technique (technique has a base to build too). Here's a purposely somewhat inaccurate analogy to make the point: if your goal is to pass a swimming test, are you going to "build your base" by running and then learn to swim?

My thinking is: build the base, then develop specificity. I am in no rush to hit this test so I will do so in a way that sets me up for success.

You've already built a substantial base by reaching Simple. If you were already good at snatching, IMO you would not need much or any further training for a 5 minute snatch test (w/24kg). If you are not already good at snatching, you have to get good at it -- and the way to do that is to practice.

Also, A+A = good. A+A+LSD = better.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am trying to build more of my base through swinging a 32k kb for eventually 300 swings in one session A+A style in 30 minutes
300 swings in one session can be tough if you use a heavy bell. For instance, the Dan John's 10k challenge, which is 500 swings on a 2 days on 1 day off frame, uses a 24 bell.

If you want to train with swings, yes the idea of very explosive ones on an MAF pace are a good approach. Simply do not go for a too heavy bell and do not necessarily train it everyday. However, you can also feel free to use proper snatches with an EMOM protocol

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Steve Freides Steve, I believe I tagged that article in the second post on this thread. I have chosen a different press protocol however because it perfectly caters to current press 1rm and goal.
I'm pretty sure there's a @Brett Jones SFG-II prep blog as well - if you find it, please post a link or, if I'm wrong about that, perhaps the man himself will correct me.

-S-

@Steve W. Yes, I see your point. I am considering switching Friday to a snatching a 24k kb for 7 reps emom in accordance to the original plan's reps. This changes Craig Marker's/ Al Ciampa's program, but it would make it almost identical to the RoP layout with 2 swing sessions and one snatch session a week.

@pet' Yes, 300 swings with a 32k bell would be a lot of volume, but it would also be for only one workout 8 weeks from now, so I don't think it is too much. If it is, I will simply stay with or decrease the previous week's volume.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom