all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Planche + Front lever training

Philippe Geoffrion

Level 7 Valued Member
Hello my fellow SF members,

I’m writing this post to gain the opinions of those who have trekked their long trail before me of achieving, or working towards, a planche or front lever.

Now, I am an Iron Man at heart (cue the proverbial riff) and admittedly, use calisthenics as a filler when the previous barbell is beyond my means, as it is of now.

However, I’ve “practiced” (in the sense I’ve trained for months and hit walls and magically a barbell appears) these movements quite frequently in the past.

The Lever seems to be coming along better than the planche, which is where the real obstacles lay. I’m wondering how those have overcome similar plateaus.

My training for the planche started with Christopher Simmer’s static holds and admittedly, holding the first progression for A FULL MINUTE is well beyond abilities. Other trainers, such as Al Kavado, suggest around 12 seconds to be adequate, which I achieved. However, the progression from tuck planche to advanced is a pretty big leap. Some days it’s there for a few seconds, sometimes I fall face first.

My training is for these movements varies but is quite often. I haven’t suffered injuries from them, so I figure GTG training is helpful. I’ve done a Tuck Planche push-ups, and leans as well to help the forward positioning of the torso.

Now, my body proportions (long limbs) seem unfavorable towards ease of progress on the planche as it’s difficult to get my hips high enough to bare the weight of my legs in the advanced tuck. My leg training is only pistol squats at the moment.

I find the ground best for planche holds as bars seem to cause excess wrist stress and more difficulty balancing but I vary between the two. My hands are at nearly 90 from my torso with the finger tips curled slightly.

So my questions for those who trained these movements:

1)What type of training/frequency did you use to work towards them?

2) How did you overcome sticking points?

3)Any tips to pass along that may help me advance?

Thanks all!

Any chance you can upload where you're at with the front lever?

I can share with you that pullups, ab wheel rollouts and dragon flags help the front lever..

Any chance you can upload where you're at with the front lever?

I can share with you that pullups, ab wheel rollouts and dragon flags help the front lever..
Ah yes, the dragon flag! It certainly presents a formidable challenge for me (as do many leg lift variations).

Yes, I’ll upload some videos.

Also, yes my pull-up is quite strong…to me anyways. I’ve done a single (very difficult) chin with 52 kgs attached at about 72 kgs bw.

Last edited:
A short tuck hold (I put some books down to elevate my palms)

Parallel bar hold (harder to keep hips/head level, more limited wrist mobility)

FL Straddle (decent, not super long. Hard to keep hollow body/hip extension and resist piking)

Some personal observations:

-With dragon flags, it seems I reach a point in the eccentric where, even while lowering slowly, I lose all abdominal strength to lower and just plummet.

-my hamstrings, seem to have some chronic tightness which is noticeable during L-sits for example. Not sure if that’s related or helpful, but worthy of note.

-I feel my lower back working harder to pull the hips from tuck to adv tuck position in the lever and perhaps lose abdominal tension, however I know no other way to navigate between the two. Also, the lower back seems to tighten when I attempt to straighten my legs for the FL.

I remember the Christopher Sommer article on Dragondoor. I recall there being some issues with the article. I had to figure out on my own how to get into tuck front lever - the answer for me was to work on inverted hang, then work on lowering myself from the hang to tuck front lever.

I was stuck at advanced tuck front lever for a while. This seems to be common among people pursuing the front lever. I thought I had to work up to a 60 min. hold too. I eventually found what other people were reporting on their front lever experiences. Some of them found that working on pulling strength was a more efficient way to progress than just working on hold time. Three options: front lever rows, working towards one-arm chinup, weighted pullups. The last I can't comment much on since I haven't tried it, but I've seen a number of guys swear by it.

I got closer to straddle front lever by rowing up in adv. tuck lever, then moving my knees and feet out to lower myself in partial straddle lever. So from my experience, front lever rows can work.

I also tried mixed-grip chin up, which is the next step after regular pull ups in a progression towards one-arm chinup. One arm pulls more, other arm assists, then at the top, shift weight towards the working arm until the load is high enough to force the eccentric. This is a more intense pulling exercise, and the abs are forced to contract intensely too if you're already in the habit of squeezing butt and abs for pull ups. However I haven't gotten around yet to testing any gains on my front lever from OAC progression work.

Yeah, the lower back does get some work in any front lever variation beyond tuck FL. However the abs should be working hard enough to protect the lower back.

On the planche side, you're actually ahead of me so you can take or leave whatever I say here. Just as increase pulling strength helps the front lever, increased pushing strength should help with planche progression. I have at least gotten as far as pseudo planche/leaned forward pushup. I like this particular approach because it includes a 3-5 sec. isometric hold for the planche gains, as well as the strength work, and it also works the abs nicely

The next progression is tuck planche eccentric, leaned forward concentric

Next progression after that is the hardest planche variation you can handle for the isometric hold and eccentric, and switch to a planche variation that is easy enough to allow you to perform the concentric.

Last edited:
I remember the Christopher Sommer article on Dragondoor. I recall there being some issues with the article. I had to figure out on my own how to get into tuck front lever - the answer for me was to work on inverted hang, then work on lowering myself from the hang to tuck front lever.

I was stuck at advanced tuck front lever for a while. This seems to be common among people pursuing the front lever. I thought I had to work up to a 60 min. hold too. I eventually found what other people were reporting on their front lever experiences. Some of them found that working on pulling strength was a more efficient way to progress than just working on hold time. Three options: front lever rows, working towards one-arm chinup, weighted pullups. The last I can't comment much on since I haven't tried it, but I've seen a number of guys swear by it.

I got closer to straddle front lever by rowing up in adv. tuck lever, then moving my knees and feet out to lower myself in partial straddle lever. So from my experience, front lever rows can work.

I also tried mixed-grip chin up, which is the next step after regular pull ups in a progression towards one-arm chinup. One arm pulls more, other arm assists, then at the top, shift weight towards the working arm until the load is high enough to force the eccentric. This is a more intense pulling exercise, and the abs are forced to contract intensely too if you're already in the habit of squeezing butt and abs for pull ups. However I haven't gotten around yet to testing any gains on my front lever from OAC progression work.

Yeah, the lower back does get some work in any front lever variation beyond tuck FL. However the abs should be working hard enough to protect the lower back.

On the planche side, you're actually ahead of me so you can take or leave whatever I say here. Just as increase pulling strength helps the front lever, increased pushing strength should help with planche progression. I have at least gotten as far as pseudo planche/leaned forward pushup. I like this particular approach because it includes a 3-5 sec. isometric hold for the planche gains, as well as the strength work, and it also works the abs nicely

The next progression is tuck planche eccentric, leaned forward concentric

Next progression after that is the hardest planche variation you can handle for the isometric hold and eccentric, and switch to a planche variation that is easy enough to allow you to perform the concentric.

Very cool tips my friend. I appreciate the input.

Coincidentally, I’m actually working on OAC as well and oddly, feel closer to this goal than front lever.

Here in Paris, I train in the outdoor parks, which is sometimes misery due to the cold but I’ve observed a lot more FL than successful OAC. I’ve been able to do a single rep of assisted OAC with the “non-working arm” only using a pinky, and with the hand on shoulder..like so.

(Actually this one hand is on the bicep)

But I digress…

Yes, I think it may be my midsection not up to par to hold FL but also, the ability to press the hands further down to hips, which is also lay/oblique/grip etc.

The planche is quite finicky no? I think wrist mobility and serratus/protraction and midsection and hip extension demands also seem monumentally challenging compared to FL. But yes, I also understand these things take a good deal of time/commitment to develop.

Are you still practicing these moves?

(Actually this one hand is on the bicep)

But I digress…

Yes, I think it may be my midsection not up to par to hold FL but also, the ability to press the hands further down to hips, which is also lay/oblique/grip etc.

The planche is quite finicky no? I think wrist mobility and serratus/protraction and midsection and hip extension demands also seem monumentally challenging compared to FL. But yes, I also understand these things take a good deal of time/commitment to develop.

Are you still practicing these moves?

Nice OAC progression work!

For my pseudo planche pushup, I turned my hands slightly out, so that my thumbs are pointing forward. This allowed for greater forward lean with hardly any strain in the wrists. Next time I work on it, I will try doing my first set or 2 on the floor to keep building wrist strength, then switching to parallettes, with my feet elevated. I notice some trainers preach keeping the scapula protracted through the entire movement. I tried that, but it just felt more natural to allow the scapula to retract at the bottom and protract at the top, maintain protraction during the isometric hold, then release during the forced eccentric. Also you can't get that nice stretch of the chest at the bottom of the movement if the scapula is protracted.

I injured my shoulder working on pike pushups in 2022. That was my fault. I should have done a few weeks of high volume work on pike pushups on the floor, before progressing to pike pushups on parallettes with elevated feet. This would have prevented the injury, which most likely resulted from the abrupt increase in load.

Because of the injury, I could no longer reach overhead without pain, so that put an end to OAC progression work. I tried continuing with pseudo planche pushups but then decided not to risk aggravating the shoulder. So for this year I'm working more on isometric overhead press and high volume KB clean-and-press to restore shoulder health, grow more muscle, and strengthen the tendons. I'm also doing isometric seated row. I started doing isometrics after I injured my other shoulder late 2020, and after that shoulder healed, my pull up numbers were the same as before, despite no direct work, so I know isometric rowing works at least well enough to maintain strength.

I haven't given up on full front lever or planche pushup. I'm just prioritizing hypertrophy and tendon strengthening through isometrics and high volume KB work for the time being.

Nice OAC progression work!

For my pseudo planche pushup, I turned my hands slightly out, so that my thumbs are pointing forward. This allowed for greater forward lean with hardly any strain in the wrists. Next time I work on it, I will try doing my first set or 2 on the floor to keep building wrist strength, then switching to parallettes, with my feet elevated. I notice some trainers preach keeping the scapula protracted through the entire movement. I tried that, but it just felt more natural to allow the scapula to retract at the bottom and protract at the top, maintain protraction during the isometric hold, then release during the forced eccentric. Also you can't get that nice stretch of the chest at the bottom of the movement if the scapula is protracted.

I injured my shoulder working on pike pushups in 2022. That was my fault. I should have done a few weeks of high volume work on pike pushups on the floor, before progressing to pike pushups on parallettes with elevated feet. This would have prevented the injury, which most likely resulted from the abrupt increase in load.

Because of the injury, I could no longer reach overhead without pain, so that put an end to OAC progression work. I tried continuing with pseudo planche pushups but then decided not to risk aggravating the shoulder. So for this year I'm working more on isometric overhead press and high volume KB clean-and-press to restore shoulder health, grow more muscle, and strengthen the tendons. I'm also doing isometric seated row. I started doing isometrics after I injured my other shoulder late 2020, and after that shoulder healed, my pull up numbers were the same as before, despite no direct work, so I know isometric rowing works at least well enough to maintain strength.

I haven't given up on full front lever or planche pushup. I'm just prioritizing hypertrophy and tendon strengthening through isometrics and high volume KB work for the time being.
I feel it. I’ve torn my pec on bench pressing…

It’s a loooooooong process following injury…

And yes, I feel turning the hand outwards helps (so thumb is forward as you’ve described)

I think some of the position cues are quite independent on the individual. As far as I’m concerned, a planche is where you hold your body up by just your arms in a push-up position…but however you get there, what works for you, is very individual.

I’ve been able to lower into a straddle, as the bent arms allows better leverage and balance between torso and legs but also I feel, some bent arm work can help with aspects of planche and lever.

I've got to my first straddle planche totally by accident. I have been practicing handbalancing for a long time, being able to hold free handstand for more than 2 minutes.
Did a lot of negatives from handstand down, but a real game changer was when I progressed to 40 kg in TGU (half my bodyweight). At that time, I was doing S&S + handbalancing almost exclusively. I tried straddle planche after this with no particular expectations, and I was really surprised.
Of course, my straddle planche looked miserable, and I was able to hold it for only 5 seconds or so, but it seems like TGU allowed me to fill the gap between solid handstand and straddle planche.
I was never able to fill this gap with regular from-tuck-planche progression.

Also, I knew few guys who were really into workout and they can't praise back extensions and reverse hypers enough. I do not have acces to such equipment, so I cannot attest personally. And anyway, the shoulder girdle is IMHO the weakest point for most people.

I've got to my first straddle planche totally by accident. I have been practicing handbalancing for a long time, being able to hold free handstand for more than 2 minutes.
Did a lot of negatives from handstand down, but a real game changer was when I progressed to 40 kg in TGU (half my bodyweight). At that time, I was doing S&S + handbalancing almost exclusively. I tried straddle planche after this with no particular expectations, and I was really surprised.
Of course, my straddle planche looked miserable, and I was able to hold it for only 5 seconds or so, but it seems like TGU allowed me to fill the gap between solid handstand and straddle planche.
I was never able to fill this gap with regular from-tuck-planche progression.

Also, I knew few guys who were really into workout and they can't praise back extensions and reverse hypers enough. I do not have acces to such equipment, so I cannot attest personally. And anyway, the shoulder girdle is IMHO the weakest point for most people.
Wow! Congratulations on this feat!

Even reaching the straddle position is a monumental accomplishment, whether shaky or not (I imagine this is how ALL first straddles will be).

Interesting that S+S led you there. Another classic WTH effect. I do feel the synchronized efforts hip extension, lower back and abdominal exertion to be key to extend the legs behind the body, hence the hyper extension transfer over, quite possibly developed through your swings?

However, it’s interesting to note, in my case, my hip extension strength is greater when the torso moves more than the lower body and hyper extensions are the inverse of this.

Wow! Congratulations on this feat!

Even reaching the straddle position is a monumental accomplishment, whether shaky or not (I imagine this is how ALL first straddles will be).

Interesting that S+S led you there. Another classic WTH effect. I do feel the synchronized efforts hip extension, lower back and abdominal exertion to be key to extend the legs behind the body, hence the hyper extension transfer over, quite possibly developed through your swings?

However, it’s interesting to note, in my case, my hip extension strength is greater when the torso moves more than the lower body and hyper extensions are the inverse of this.
Swings definitely helped in this, but I think RDL would be better. And I should also mention I did quite a lot of elbow levers:

Swings definitely helped in this, but I think RDL would be better. And I should also mention I did quite a lot of elbow levers:
Aw yes, elbow levers. I remember Al said they weren’t especially helpful for planche training…

However, they may benefit the torso and hips in acclimating to the horizontal position. I can do an elbow lever fine but perhaps holding it in hollow position with tension could be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom