all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Planche + Front lever training

Hello @Philippe Geoffrion

My pleasure !

Regarding DF, at some points, that's almost more of a back exercise than a core exercise.

In all cases, when you perform it, squeezing the glutes will irradiate your core and protect your lower back. As you have a straight position on your video, you do it right.

To gain ROM, you have several options:
- Slow negative. Go as low as you can with control. As soon as you feel you'll give up, switch to the straddle or 1 leg version and keep going. This will build time under tension using some sort of "drop set". This will work for sure, but it is very long. Besides, this strategy will force you to dedicate some time (not a lot, I admit) to train the beginning of the move (from the ground).
- Progressively harder variations, as I have mentioned in the previous post. That's what I used. All progressions start from the ground
- Do not hesitate to work the lowest (and hardest) portion of the ROM. For instance, start from a 45° using either the straddle or 1 leg variation, then control the negative portion. That way, you can exert force while being fresh, during the hardest portion.

If you do the 3rd option, I'd also build from the ground to 45° using progressively harder variation (tuck (with back on the floor) to tuck on vertical position, for several repetitions). The beginning of the move is way harder. From a physics standpoint, lever will decrease beyond 45°

Kind regards,

Pet'
Great post, as usual @pet'

Excellent - that's what you should do, exactly that. Perseverance furthers. From my own training life, I do a single Skin The Cat on the rings every day. I've been at it for weeks, and I'm not ready to do more than one because I keep improving how far I can get around with my single rep. Eventually, I'll do more. I probably could do another one or two now without getting off the reps, but as we know from S&S and other programs, persevering with something until it starts to get easier for you is a surefire path to improvement. You keep doing that partial Dragon Flags - your depth is fine, your reps are fine - and I'll keep doing my StC singles, and we will both see improvements as time goes on.

-S-
Time is on our side!

Your dragon flag looks great, btw @Steve Freides.

I always knew this move was tough but also discovering how difficult it is for me has enlightened me to where I have room to improve my FL and planche training.

Thanks, again!

I’ll post some updates over time.

Another thing popped into my head:

Simonster was the first guy I saw use the term “mechanical advantage” for calisthenics skills. Basically, you do a harder variation on the eccentric and an easier one on the concentric.

I haven’t done a dragon flag in a while, but when I did, this was how I got them. I started by doing tuck DFs and straddle or single leg tuck. Then I did the mechanical advantage versions. I would lower using a full DF (legs all the way straight) and then raise by tucking one knee in. Then I’d just alternate which knee was tucked.

You can do the same thing for front lever raises, as well as planche push-up variations (once you have a solid tuck planche and straddle bent arm planche).

Front lever is pretty much just like the DF exercise I outlined above. Planche push-ups (while down the road a ways…) would involve starting in a tuck planche, lowering to a bent arm straddle planche, and pushing back up to the tuck.

If you’re methodical and creative you can probably make up your own MA exercises this way too.

Here’s a few IG links

Another thing popped into my head:

Simonster was the first guy I saw use the term “mechanical advantage” for calisthenics skills. Basically, you do a harder variation on the eccentric and an easier one on the concentric.

I haven’t done a dragon flag in a while, but when I did, this was how I got them. I started by doing tuck DFs and straddle or single leg tuck. Then I did the mechanical advantage versions. I would lower using a full DF (legs all the way straight) and then raise by tucking one knee in. Then I’d just alternate which knee was tucked.

You can do the same thing for front lever raises, as well as planche push-up variations (once you have a solid tuck planche and straddle bent arm planche).

Front lever is pretty much just like the DF exercise I outlined above. Planche push-ups (while down the road a ways…) would involve starting in a tuck planche, lowering to a bent arm straddle planche, and pushing back up to the tuck.

If you’re methodical and creative you can probably make up your own MA exercises this way too.

Here’s a few IG links

Actually, yes I’ve found lowering from a tuck to a straddle to be very helpful…and actually possible.

Picked up a band today. Did some decent advanced tucks. Yes, simonster as phenomenal and indeed, I was suffering from long ticks to moving to advanced and barely having a single second here.

Here’s a band assisted advanced tuck (at least, trying to be advanced)

The bent ar position definitely improves leverage…

Alas, there are many tools for me now to attack the planche.

Also, I’ve discarded the FL session in favor of Drafon Flags and OAC, which I think cover most of the necessary strength for now. I think the dragon flag, upon reaching mastery, will have great carryover to the FL which makes me wonder,

@Steve Freides …with your dragon flag strength, have you attempted a Front Lever? From what I imagine, your midsection strength is at the level.

@Steve Freides …with your dragon flag strength, have you attempted a Front Lever? From what I imagine, your midsection strength is at the level.
I don't feel strong enough in my arms and chest for a front lever on the rings - I do them, but at an angle, feet closer to the ceiling than parallel, but body straight.

-S-

Hello @Philippe Geoffrion

If you are able to do a DF from the ground, and slowly lift yourself up (with a pause at 10cm height) then you will have enough core strength.

With FL, the limiting factors are :
- Upper back strength (lats, scapular chain, traps)
- Straight arm strength (German hang can be especially helpful for FL)

To create upper body tension (especially upper back), gripping the bar as tightly as you can is important. Trying to 'bend' the bar will also help. That's why the ring version is harder by the way, because the rings will turn. However, they tend to be more joints friendly.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Some updates on planche and dragon flags.

As mentioned, I’ve subbed dragon flag training out for Front Lever practice, concluding that training the One Arm chin-up and FL simultaneously to be resundant, and that my area of lack in FL strength is in my torso stiffness abilities.

Planche work is consistent; progress slow. However, here are some recent insights and progress markers.

Dragon Flag measures

I’ve found the closest way for me to train the bottom of the flag, read the hardest portion, is with a single leg tucked. With a straddle, I find it much harder to maintain flute tension and with the full extended lever, I can barely reach 45 degrees. Here is the single leg tuck.

One Arm Chinup

This move is also incredibly difficult from the bottom position. I’ve found the finger assist useful…but it neglects what to do with the other arm during a true OAC. This is an issue I need to address, as the non working arm adds dead weight be Lao Asiata the body from rotating.

Alas, I’ve managed a “cheater rep” ie, starting the pull from a partial ROM (ie not a des hang) with a little push aid from the feet.

I’ve also found that placing the non working arm on the shoulder to be a useful assist exercise.

For this rep, I use my non working hand by squeezing my torso with it to alleviate the des weight and also help my body maintain tension.

Nonetheless, my shoulder has trouble anchoring in the bottom. Perhaps single arm hangs practicing retraction will help here.

Planche

For the planche, I’ve discovered a few things. With my short torso, hollow position is very difficult to maintain. My back wants to arch hard especially when bringing the legs back. This is where Frog stands may come in handy for easier days…although, since the legs are further back than a tuck, it’s still quite difficult.

On high bars, getting the hips up represents a challenge as seen here…

Likewise, my head ends up higher than my hips when a tuck planche push-up is attempted. My torso gives in to gain better leverage.

A lower set of bars helps a little, but my propensity to fall forward hinders a long hold.

Alas, the floor it is easier to get into a tuck planche, the wrist position is easier but my long legs are so close to the ground, it’s difficult. Parallelettes may be the answer.

Anyways, here we are.

Planche/DF/FL updates
Not sure if my last message came through but allez-y. Some recent adnacements to report on. Slowly but surely! Small milestones are a lot on this journey, a little reminder that we are indeed improving so I present the aforementioned on this long journey.

For planche training, I recently was able to get my legs around my knees on the parallel bars for a quick moment.

With dragon flags, I’m getting lower, practicing one leg ticks on certain days.

For the front lever, did a random test and while hardly a hold or proper leg position, am pleased to find my legs are getting closer to straight but alas, they’re about on par with my dragon flag angle hence, how I know DF are a good marker.

That’s all for now!

Back
Top Bottom