all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Planche & One Arm Chin Up Journey

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Zach Hall

Level 3 Valued Member
I am documenting my 1st set of every workout on my journey to full planche and one arm chin up. I hope to have 3 one arm chin ups and a 9 second full planche by the end of 2017 and I'm posting 3 workouts every week with my progress and form improvement. I would enjoy to have an open conversation with anyone interested in these two difficult exercises and how you are progressing as well as hear any questions you may have about my journey. When I started this journey I could do about 15 chin ups and a 15 second tuck planche (0 seconds with hands facing backwards). I am using resistance bands for both exercises and currently using 58lbs of assistance with the intent to drop about 1lb per week on average in order to meet my goal. Check out today's workout below and if you're interested subscribe to follow me on my journey!

@Zach Hall
Welcome to SF. Are your goals of the Planche and one arm chin-up ends in themselves, or means to an end for some other goal?
Another method you can employ for the chins if you are interested in mixing things up a bit is... using a pulley counterweight system. The advantage being you can have extremely fine control over the amount of resistance used, as well as having constant force over the entire range of motion.
The disadvantage is that it is somewhat more complicated to rig.

Yes, those are my two main goals as ends in themselves although I don't think that the journey ends there. My goals would realign once these are met. I also love the pulley system and have fiddled with it in the past but it is a little too much for me at the moment with the amount of assistance I'm using. I agree that it is better than the bands in an ideal world. Thanks for the response!

Okay cool...
If you are going to be posting your progress on a regular basis, you might consider starting a thread in the Training Logs section

Cheers to some really sick goals. Those are by far some of my favorite calisthenics moves.

Anyways, a couple of things come to mind:
OACU: You're doing them with full ROM, which is a great habit to get into. The only issue is that at the bottom, you seem to be letting the shoulder rise up and elevate. Some people can get away with that (personally speaking, I don't have an issue with it) but I've read enough to know that it hurts lots of people's shoulders. So you might consider keeping shoulders packed (that's SF advice as well). Beastskills does a decent job of showing this idea of "tight shoulders":
One Arm Chin-up / Pull-up « Bodyweight Strength Training « Beast Skills

(under the Danger section)

Planche: You seem to be missing a good bit of shoulder protraction, which is key for the Planche. Also, it's hard to see from this angle, but it looks to me like your elbows are slightly bent in the Planche. You definitely want to use straight arms since the beginning to build good habits and the correct strength.

Also while we're on that topic, why the choice of hands back for the planche? That's usually a very gymnastics-specific thing to build up the biceps tendon for more rigorous ring work (as well as the Maltese). It tends to be a very risky position in general because of the huge joint strain. In general, most people are best off using more hands-to-the-sides positions since they give most of the planche strength adaptations, but without the huge risk associated with it. Just something to consider :)

Anyways, just some thoughts. Keep on keeping on brother!

Thanks for the feedback. I've also heard about keeping shoulders packed. I have never had any issue and will continue to take it slown and careful at the bottom. As far as hands bavk planche I just like it best for now. I also mess around with fingertips sometimes. My elbows aren't bent here, but maybe it's a bad angle. It's actually very difficult for me to have bent eblows with hands back, unlike hands to the show or fingertips. Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom