all posts post new thread

Planche & One Arm Chin Ups - Workouts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Wait so you're only doing 4 sets of Planches and 4 sets of OACUs every 9 days? That's a big change from when you started (4 sets of each essentially every other day).

Very big change. I'm working a pull and push every 4-5 days though, so while I'm not doing those exercises every day I'm working similar muscles without having to worry as much about injury from training those shoulder and elbow heavy moves 3 days a week. I still feel like progress is great. One arm chin has improved by 20lbs in 3 months and planche has improved by about 12lbs. That's a pound per week on planche about 1.5 for one arm chin. I know it seems like the workouts are few and far between but when they come around I feel ready and as long as I continue to see improvement I'm happy.

Well, when you only did those exercises three times a week, you seemed to add reps each day until you reached 5 reps/15 secs, then went down in assistance and started again with 3 reps.

If you're still following that ^, but the workouts are occurring a quarter of the time as before, then it will take you four times as long to reach your goals. So instead of December 2017, you'll reach those goals by December 2020? Is that the plan?

Or because they're occurring less frequently, are you going up by more weight/reps than you used to?

I think it's a generally good idea to train multiple movement patterns (just training Planches and OACUs has more holes in muscle training than I can count), but if you're now making progression steps 4 times as big as before to keep up with your Dec 2017 goal, then you might be more likely to get injured no?

Frankly I would fuse the lower body and upper body training days such that you only have an A and a B day, and I would rotate them three times a week. That's still less planching than you first started with, but it's more than you do right now. So you could make smaller progression steps and still meet your 2017 goal. It would also be just as rounded since you do all the same exercises, and it's not like OACUs and Planches are going to be detrimental to DLs and Squats anyways so.

Good questions. I still think I'll hit one arm chin easily by end of year. 4x3, 4x4, 4x5, then drop 4 pounds. This puts me at 4x3 one arm chins in September, which allows me at least 2 unplanned deloads to hit end of year. Planche may be a little more difficult, but I'm still improving by an average one 1-1.5lbs per workout, which I don't think is likely to cause injury. I see myself possibly hitting a plateau on planche again, but only to keep improving form since it's so much more technical. I appreciate the feedback and I'm always open to taking in new ideas. I really like the way my routine feels right now.

Good questions. I still think I'll hit one arm chin easily by end of year. 4x3, 4x4, 4x5, then drop 4 pounds. This puts me at 4x3 one arm chins in September, which allows me at least 2 unplanned deloads to hit end of year. Planche may be a little more difficult, but I'm still improving by an average one 1-1.5lbs per workout, which I don't think is likely to cause injury. I see myself possibly hitting a plateau on planche again, but only to keep improving form since it's so much more technical. I appreciate the feedback and I'm always open to taking in new ideas. I really like the way my routine feels right now.
Gotcha. Yeah I really dig the routine. Like I said, much better than just Planching and OACU. I guess my comment was simply to mention that because you planche less often, it might take that much longer. Also I was just trying to follow what you were up to.

Keep on keeping on broski!

I enjoy the questions. I ask myself similar questions when making changes. I think my mindset was that being more balanced would be better for the long run, even if my main goal is planche and one arm chin. If I can stay healthier longer and get stronger all over, those main exercises will benefit greatly. I didn't want to get stuck in a rut. I think this spacing is perfect and will allow me to progress longer. Whether it's faster or not is something that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to really know. If I can meet my one arm chin goal by end of year I'll be thrilled because I've wanted to do a one arm chin for 10+ years and always gotten frustrated and stopped. Worst case I'd really still like to reach straddle planche if I don't hit planche by end of year, but I'll just keep working hard and see what happens. This is the longest and most consistently I've ever stuck with it and I really think keeping the log makes me feel accountable.

I see you're making some good progress especially on the HSPU's Zack. nice work mate !

Have you ever tried the front levers without the bands ?

I'd start mixing in a set or 2 of tuck levers from time to time, then progress to an advanced tuck a bit further down the the track. Still do the band assisted levers but a few tuck levers could help you get a better feel for the tension needed to hold a full front lever & speed your progress up a bit.

I think you're right. I may start throwing these in at the end of my workout for a set or two here and there. The statics are definitely a different animal.

Hello,

@Zach Hall
You seem to do good progress ! :)

A tip I recently found concerning the OAC : before engaging your biceps to do the lift in itself, you can try to pack your shoulder.

A strong shoulder pack will make your two shoulders parallel to the ground. Once your "passive" shoulder is parallel to the ground, you have a little inertia, then, at this right moment, engage your biceps / shoulder on the active side to lift you up.

It is mainly a coordination detail, not even strength, but it helped me a lot.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom