all posts post new thread

Planche & One Arm Chin Ups - Workouts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

If you want to do a front lever, here is a good video:

As always, I suppose there are plenty of other successful protocols. This one worked for me (I used an equivalent, with a french video, but progressions were the same).

It is a very good idea you have to do some HSPUs. They are the antagonist of your OA push up training, so it makes your arm training complete.

Keep going ! ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Workout 19 - Assisted glute ham raises and weighted pistols. Planche and one arm chins coming back on Thursday.

Zach. Excellent work with the consistency and choosing pretty much the best calisthenics exercises you could be doing. Quality exercises.

However, I cannot recommend enough that you maintain a hollow body position on your Front Lever. As it stands, you are arched.

Follow my logic here for a second. The reason why that happens is that you assist yourself with the band under the feet. This encourages you to push down on the band to get the tension out of it and make the exercise easier. This, however, will encourage an arch by activating the posterior chain. It almost looks like the bottom of a row.

Instead, up the assistance, and place the band underneath your hips. The hips are your center of mass. Assistance there will not change your Front Lever and will allow you to effectively hollow out. This is what you do for the Planche anyways so not sure why you wouldn't for the Front Lever.

Tagging @Tarzan and @pet' due to being experienced with the FL. They might have good advice. The hollow is THE BIGGEST reason why my FL has taken so long. It is hard but ultimately more productive.

Anyways, just my 2 cents advice. Maybe it'll be helpful or maybe not. I don't know. Good luck Zach! Keep it up.

You know what? I'm going to play with this! Thank you. The reason I couldn't do this before ( I tried ) is because without the pull up tower the bands were hard to get taught enough, ( not enough distance between me and the bands) but now I think I can hang from the dip bar while hanging the bands from the top of the tower. If it doesn't work I'll keep the bands on my feet but focus on the hollow. I think it will be harder that way but I do think it's possible. Hopefully hanging the bands from the top of the tower will work though. Thanks for the advice.

Hello,

Instead, up the assistance, and place the band underneath your hip
+1000 !

Some other ideas. Pick up only what you need or consider useful to progress. Plus, there are tons of ways to get the FL.
=> Tuck Lever (your torso is parallel to the ground, but you bend your legs on your belly).
=> Advanced Tuck Lever (your torso is parallel to the ground, but your legs do a "A" if your are seen from the side. Your back and your feet are on the same line).
=> Half Front Lever (torso parallel to the ground, quads and back on the same line, calves are perpendicular to the ground).
=> One Leg Front Lever (torso parallel to the ground, one of the leg is straight and also parallel to the ground. The other one is bent on you. Then you progress towards the full Front Lever by progressively extending the other leg). For that step, you do sets of bent / straight leg on both side to have a symmetrical workout.

IMO, you can work on that more or less everyday. Keep 2 days off a week. With these steps, make between 4 and 6 sets of max holds each time. Rest as needed. You can add extra volume if you wish, by adding your band training at the end. This progression also works you scapula a little more than with bands.

If you can, work with rings, because it is safer for your wrist if you have a lot of volume.

Otherwise, as "assistance exercises" :
=> Hanging Leg Rises (StrongFirst Standard),
=> Dragon Flags (between 5 and 8/10)
=> Pull ups with 1,5 times your bdw (basically, around 11 reps with 30% bdw added).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom