all posts post new thread

Planche & One Arm Chin Ups - Workouts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I believe Zach wants to do band assistance since the beginning. I think that's a good idea instead of the regular tuck progressions. It requires a more consistent set up but it's also much more foolproof. It's good for variability. I am very likely going to use some bands in a few months since I have been stalling a bit with the tuck progressions. Good to use different tactics

I do think Dragon Flag work could be useful in addition to the FL work. Solid suggestion by Pet. The weighted pull up is a good idea too, but Zach is working on One Arm Chinning and that will strengthen his lats just fine.

@Zach Hall : Isnt it possible to move that dipping station to underneath whatever overhead thing you use to hang the bands for Planches? Then you could keep using your Rock Climbing things and attach the bands there. You'd actually be a pretty similar distance to the floor than you are with Planches coincidentally.

That is, if I understand your set up correctly

You're absolutely correct. I just played with it and I should be able to manage with just a few more pounds of help than I was using with my feet. I was hoping to put the bands above my butt, but I think they'll have to go below. It should still be better.

Why not on top of your butt, right where glute meets your lower back? If you look at your hands, you should draw a vertical line downwards. Where that line meets your body will be your center of mass.

It might brush against the climbing things you're using, so it might not work.

Anyways, it's clear you know what you're doing. Keep on keeping on Zach.

I tried really hard to get it above my butt, but it keeps sliding up and doesn't feel stable at all getting into the position. I think I'll still be able to work on my hollow this way. Obviously nothing I do with the bands is perfect but I do feel they help tremendously and give me a great since of improvement that can be quantified to a degree.

Hello,

I tried really hard to get it above my butt, but it keeps sliding up and doesn't feel stable at all getting into the position
I had the same problem. That is why I did not use a lot bands for the FL.

An "alternative", is to put the band on your very lower back (so almost your upper butt). However, using that tactics, you may use a stronger resistance band because lever will be tougher.

Then another thing comes to my mind: some people consider the FL work easier on a rigid bar than on rings or climbing grip because there is no arm rotation stabilization. Some other consider it is the same. Once, you can try and see how it goes.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello,

@Zach Hall
To make your progression even smoother, you may even use the progression I described, but with a band.

It will give you more volume (you will do more sets), it will be more progressive. Of course, you stop as soon as you are tired or as soon as you feel you do not have a proper stance anymore.

Before, I tried a lot to hold a full FL without being well prepared enough. Necessarily, I always failed in holding it. Then, I made a step backwards, to work on tuck and so on. It worked well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I may throw in a set or two of tuck lever /advanced tuck lever at the end of my band training. I really like the idea, but what I don't want to do is end up changing my routine too often. I want to stick with it until I stall repeatedly or my form breaks. I think I can make my form more hollow with a little extra focus using the bands. I really appreciate all the helpful detailed feedback!

Hello,

As long as you feel you keep progressing, you are right, keep your routine.

I noticed on myself that a routine we do not like completely is always less effective. From my experience, an approach change is good when we reach a plateau or when goal changes. Otherwise, the longer your perform the same routine, the better it is.

Plus, FL is a tough move which requires lots of time to be performed then it is good to keep the same tactics for months to pass it.

I am not an expert, veeeeery far from it, but feel free to ask anything you want ;)

Keep going !

Kind regards,

Pet'

My knee does pop sometimes. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't matter how slow I go down. It still pops.

As long as it doesn't hurt, either while you are doing it or in the 12-24 hrs after it should be OK.

I don't know if it's true but a lot of people say it's just air or gas being pushed out of the joint when you hear pops and cracks soon after you start moving. I like to work those pops and cracks out before I add weight myself. Not so much to warm up but to ensure I have a good coating of synovial fluid all over the joint surface. At least I did when I still had cartilage in my knees.

Yeah there's no pain. I'm going to be careful. I've heard the same thing about it just being like cracking your knuckles.

Hello,

I have the same issue with groin (since I am a child...). I never felt pain or something. Plus I do not feel it when I stretch or in daily life.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom