all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Plank Progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

alex88

Level 3 Valued Member
Hello comrades,

I am about to start my new plan which needs two ab exercises. The plan uses a linar progression (2 week blocks). One exercise will be the Hanging leg raise. As of now I am looking for a second exercise or a progression to one arm one leg planks.

My current abilities/ what i used in training the last time:

Normal Plank : ladders for 7:30 minutes
1 arm plank 3x30 seconds per side
1 arm 1 leg plank 2x20 seconds per side

Do you know of a harder plank version then the oaol plank? or would you choose a different ab exercise? if so, which would it be?

Alex

Hi @alex88,

You could always load the plank, but a simpler way to make it harder might be to elevate the foot. Even simpler than that would be to hold it longer.

You asked about difficulty, but for some variety, you could also consider waving sets and reps (duration). For example, say you do the OAOL plank twice a week. On one of those, do say 3 x __ seconds, and try to increase the duration while sticking to three sets. On the other day, start with 10 sets of __ seconds (a much smaller number than the other day, obviously) and every time you do it reduce the sets by one and add a second to each set.

^to add to that, you can increase the Plank difficulty by moving your hands farther away. A push up plank is fairly easy and a plank with your hands totally overhead (so that belly is almost touching ground. ..maintain posterior pelvic tilt!) is incredibly hard. So I think you'll find a good level somewhere in between.

They can be done one handed, but then it's harder on your arms than your abs.

The other solution is to flip over and practice body levers (dragon flags, with hands farther from your body as you get stronger).

Both are similar in that they tax they and in an "open body"position as opposed to the HLR that taxes compression.

Hope that gives you some ideas!

I consider the plank an exercise in total body tension rather than anything ab-specific. I know you need reasonably strong abs to do it, but I think, if abs were the focus, I'd pick something else and not planks.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

Hello,

The abs workout is a frequently asked subject. The TRX plank with roll out (), pretty similar to ab wheel is very effective. You can vary difficulty by holding the TRX directly with your hand, and then hold the position. That way, it will clearly be a total body tension exercise.

Another - and more difficult variation - consists in putting your feet in through the handles, and then doing the plank.

Kind regards,

Pet

I like planks as a breathing drill as part of my warmup. I hold a full tension plank while diaphramaticly breathing. On pressing days I will do Body Saws with my feet in low rings. For the Crawling portion of OS Resets I will sometimes do a few OneLegged One Arm Planks.

I like Heavy Barbell Planks as one of my torso finishers in rotation. I load plates on a bar on low blocks, get under it, and push up into plank position. I hold for a time, or weight goal. The bar gives great feedback because you can keep your full body from tail bone to back of head in contact with the bar. When form breaks the rep is done. I am sure I am not the first person to come up with this, but I have never seen in any where else.

@alex88 - What is your goal? This would allow for better advice on which exercise would give you the best carryover. Please know I am not discrediting any of the great advice you have been given above as it is all good and will increase your Abs.
But what are you working towards?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom