all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Plate Loaded Cable Tower

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
My company's wellness program includes $1500 every year that can be spent on fitness stuff, with a pretty wide range of what can be approved.

I need to use this year's allotment, so on of the things I'm considering this year (in addition to the little Torque Tank), is a plate loaded cable tower.

While I have gymnastic rings and Crossover symmetry cables, I don't have anything that is a true cable system.

And given I already have a bunch of weight plates, I was thinking of something like this:

Plate-Loaded-Cable-Tower-Hero.jpg

With the back uprights, it's $420, so not crazy expensive.

The challenge I'm having is:

What exercises would I use it for?

My company's wellness program includes $1500 every year that can be spent on fitness stuff, with a pretty wide range of what can be approved.

I need to use this year's allotment, so on of the things I'm considering this year (in addition to the little Torque Tank), is a plate loaded cable tower.

While I have gymnastic rings and Crossover symmetry cables, I don't have anything that is a true cable system.

And given I already have a bunch of weight plates, I was thinking of something like this:

Plate-Loaded-Cable-Tower-Hero.jpg

With the back uprights, it's $420, so not crazy expensive.

This is the ultimate biceps and triceps hypertrophy machine since you can load the full range of motion hitting those muscles in the most stretched positions . I have personal dislike and disagreements to my own sentence :) ( “hitting a muscle”, isolation move etc ) but it is what it is.

The above can be replicated w dumbbells except the full ROM tension, it is up to you to decide if that is important for you or not.

Very effective for rotator cuff exercises. Again full rom tension.

This is a perfect device for face pull. The only exercise that I would personally use honestly.

Other than that there are a lot moves but for an advanced athlete like you, very little use IMHO. But good for your hypertrophy cycle I guess.

Then of course there is the donkey kick like glute exercise leg straight. But please don’t post a video while doing them if you will, I want to picture you while you are doing a snatch w barbell instead of donkey kick .. :) if you may.

Best.

Last edited:

"Hundreds of Exercise Variations"

Hi-Low Pulley Cable Exercises are limited by an individual imagination and creativity.

As you know, the Hi-Low Cable Pulley System enables an individual to work muscle from a different angle. It becomes a different exercise.

Changes in exercises are more effective than in loading schemes to improve muscle strength.

This study investigated the effects of varying strength exercises and/or loading scheme on muscle cross-sectional area (CSA) and maximum strength after four strength training loading schemes: constant intensity and constant exercise (CICE), constant intensity and varied exercise (CIVE), varied intensity and constant exercise (VICE), varied intensity and varied exercise (VIVE). ... The CIVE group had greater strength increments than the other training groups ) ,,,CIVE is more efficient to produce strength gains for physically active individuals; b) as long as the training intensity reaches an alleged threshold, muscle hypertrophy is similar regardless of the training intensity and exercise variation.

Bodybuilders

One of the fundamental principles of Bodybuilder for increasing muscle mass is Varying Exercises.

The Westside Powerlifing Protocol

Varying Auxiliary Exercises that are similar in nature to the Powerlifts is one of their principles.

Auxilary Exercises similar in nature the Powerlifts are used to increase Strength. Using the Powerlifts is contraindicted.

Using the Powerlifts to develop Strength is an antiquated method that continues to be perpetuated. This issue has been addressed multiple times.

Transfer Between Lifts: Increased Strength in Untrained Exercises
National Strength and Conditioning Journal, June 2023

This is the most rescent article that delves into the of the Carryover Effects in performing Auxiliary Exercise that are similar in nature to other Movements.

Single Cable Movements

1) Cable Pullthrough for the Posterior Chain.

2) Dual-Attachment Long Strap Kettlebell Swings
1675859834189.jpeg

a) Attach the strap around the waist.

2) Walk out far enough so there is cable tension through the Full Range of the Swings.

Then perform Kettlebell Swings

This method place even more of the workload on the posterior chain.

Varying the pin position on the Hi-Low Cable works the posterior chain from a different angle.

3) Dual-Attachment Long Strap Good Morning/Back Raise

a) Attaching the Strap around the neck.

b) Back off from the Hi-Low Cable

c) Bend forward, as you would with a Good Morning.

Due to the fact that the weight is pulling you forward, you can lean back even farther with the Movement; replicatinng more of a Back Raise.

4) Accentured Eccentric Dual-Attachment Long Strap Good Morning/Back Raise

This is one of my favorite Movements.

You need something to hold on to so that you can pull yourself up from the bottom postion.

This produces a...

Loaded Stretch

Research shows that Exercises that provide a Loaded Stretch in the Full Range of a Movement, elicit some Muscle Damage.

Reserach by Dr. Brad Schoenfeld demonstrated that Muscle Damage is one of the three mechanisms that triggers muscle growth.

Dr Jake Wilson, formerly with the University of Tampa's Human Performance Lab, determined that Loaded Stretches elicit an increase in muscle mass.

5) Accentuated Eccentric Hi-Low Cable Press Fly

Let's use the Bench Press for this example.

The wide straps with this machine appear to indicate this exercise can be performed; as with Dumbbell, as well.

a) Concentrically Press the weight out with a Narrow Grip. lock the load out.

b) Spead the handles out as wide as you can. Then lower the weight back to the bottom position; which turn it into a Accentuated Eccentric Fly Exercise.

To reiterate, Accentuated Eccentric Flys can be perform with Dumbbells, as well.

6) Step Ups

Hi-Low Cable Step Up can be performed with the Hi-Low Cable Pulley.

7) Accentuarted Eccentric Box Squats

This works better with a Dual Cable Pulley System. The Dual-Attachment Long Strap is attached around the neck similar to The Dual-Attachment Long Strap Good Morning/Back Raise.

Attachimg Dual-Attachment Long Strap is more comfortable when anchored between with the Dual Cable System than a Single Pulley System. I have a Dual Cable System.

The Movement Pattern is similar to The Good Morning/Back Raise.

a) Place the Box slightly behind you.

b) Sitting Back predominately replicates a Powerlifting Squat.

The shins are maintained Perpendicular to the floor.

I place the Box slightly farther back. his method, allowing me to sit back so far that my shins are even farther back, in an posterior positon; behind my heels.

Doing so, places more of the workload on the Hamstrings, Glutes and Quad in the hip area.

Other Exercises

There are some other interesting exercise that can be performed with a Hi-Low Cable Pulley System.

You may come of with some other youself with some experimentation.

Very effective for rotator cuff exercises. Again full rom tension.

This is a perfect device for face pull. The only exercise that I would personally use honestly.

Other than that there are a lot moves but for an advanced athlete like you, very little use IMHO. But good for your hypertrophy cycle I guess.

Rotator cuff, face pulls, and other shoulder prehab would be my main use case.

I've had great results with the Crossover Symmetry system, but I've come to the point where I've progressed beyond their top level bands (light 10 lbs, heavy 25 lbs), and keep having to buy heavier bands.

I'm sure it would come in handy during hypertrophy, too, but I wouldn't buy for that reason.

[P.S. I hope you and your family are safe after the earthquake]

For a measly $49.99, I bought one of these:

`
71sGsl5DnwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I hung it from my chin up bar today and was messing around with triceps and biceps work, using high and low pulley set ups.

For the money, no complaints, although I'd want to buy better bars and handles.

If I wanted to do 2 pulley crossover work, and make a DIY "poor man's functional trainer", I could just buy another one, which would put the grand total at like $100.

The belt squat requires a platform with a pulley underneath that you connect to the cable tower in the original post. Then it works great.

"Hundreds of Exercise Variations"

Hi-Low Pulley Cable Exercises are limited by an individual imagination and creativity.

As you know, the Hi-Low Cable Pulley System enables an individual to work muscle from a different angle. It becomes a different exercise.

Changes in exercises are more effective than in loading schemes to improve muscle strength.

This study investigated the effects of varying strength exercises and/or loading scheme on muscle cross-sectional area (CSA) and maximum strength after four strength training loading schemes: constant intensity and constant exercise (CICE), constant intensity and varied exercise (CIVE), varied intensity and constant exercise (VICE), varied intensity and varied exercise (VIVE). ... The CIVE group had greater strength increments than the other training groups ) ,,,CIVE is more efficient to produce strength gains for physically active individuals; b) as long as the training intensity reaches an alleged threshold, muscle hypertrophy is similar regardless of the training intensity and exercise variation.

Bodybuilders

One of the fundamental principles of Bodybuilder for increasing muscle mass is Varying Exercises.

The Westside Powerlifing Protocol

Varying Auxiliary Exercises that are similar in nature to the Powerlifts is one of their principles.

Auxilary Exercises similar in nature the Powerlifts are used to increase Strength. Using the Powerlifts is contraindicted.

Using the Powerlifts to develop Strength is an antiquated method that continues to be perpetuated. This issue has been addressed multiple times.

Transfer Between Lifts: Increased Strength in Untrained Exercises
National Strength and Conditioning Journal, June 2023

This is the most rescent article that delves into the of the Carryover Effects in performing Auxiliary Exercise that are similar in nature to other Movements.

Single Cable Movements

1) Cable Pullthrough for the Posterior Chain.

2) Dual-Attachment Long Strap Kettlebell Swings
View attachment 20534

a) Attach the strap around the waist.

2) Walk out far enough so there is cable tension through the Full Range of the Swings.

Then perform Kettlebell Swings

This method place even more of the workload on the posterior chain.

Varying the pin position on the Hi-Low Cable works the posterior chain from a different angle.

3) Dual-Attachment Long Strap Good Morning/Back Raise

a) Attaching the Strap around the neck.

b) Back off from the Hi-Low Cable

c) Bend forward, as you would with a Good Morning.

Due to the fact that the weight is pulling you forward, you can lean back even farther with the Movement; replicatinng more of a Back Raise.

4) Accentured Eccentric Dual-Attachment Long Strap Good Morning/Back Raise

This is one of my favorite Movements.

You need something to hold on to so that you can pull yourself up from the bottom postion.

This produces a...

Loaded Stretch

Research shows that Exercises that provide a Loaded Stretch in the Full Range of a Movement, elicit some Muscle Damage.

Reserach by Dr. Brad Schoenfeld demonstrated that Muscle Damage is one of the three mechanisms that triggers muscle growth.

Dr Jake Wilson, formerly with the University of Tampa's Human Performance Lab, determined that Loaded Stretches elicit an increase in muscle mass.

5) Accentuated Eccentric Hi-Low Cable Press Fly

Let's use the Bench Press for this example.

The wide straps with this machine appear to indicate this exercise can be performed; as with Dumbbell, as well.

a) Concentrically Press the weight out with a Narrow Grip. lock the load out.

b) Spead the handles out as wide as you can. Then lower the weight back to the bottom position; which turn it into a Accentuated Eccentric Fly Exercise.

To reiterate, Accentuated Eccentric Flys can be perform with Dumbbells, as well.

6) Step Ups

Hi-Low Cable Step Up can be performed with the Hi-Low Cable Pulley.

7) Accentuarted Eccentric Box Squats

This works better with a Dual Cable Pulley System. The Dual-Attachment Long Strap is attached around the neck similar to The Dual-Attachment Long Strap Good Morning/Back Raise.

Attachimg Dual-Attachment Long Strap is more comfortable when anchored between with the Dual Cable System than a Single Pulley System. I have a Dual Cable System.

The Movement Pattern is similar to The Good Morning/Back Raise.

a) Place the Box slightly behind you.

b) Sitting Back predominately replicates a Powerlifting Squat.

The shins are maintained Perpendicular to the floor.

I place the Box slightly farther back. his method, allowing me to sit back so far that my shins are even farther back, in an posterior positon; behind my heels.

Doing so, places more of the workload on the Hamstrings, Glutes and Quad in the hip area.

Other Exercises

There are some other interesting exercise that can be performed with a Hi-Low Cable Pulley System.

You may come of with some other youself with some experimentation.

Could you go into more detail regarding the good morning and back raise variations? I have a cable tower and I'm a big fan of the exercises in question. I couldn't quite grasp how to perform the ones you mentioned.

Also, how would you compare the exercises with the cables compared to a good morning with resistance bands pulling from the front below you? That is a terrific exercise.

The belt squat requires a platform with a pulley underneath that you connect to the cable tower in the original post. Then it works great.

If you put a platform / blocks in front of a cable tower, won't the cable still be at an angle?

If you put a platform / blocks in front of a cable tower, won't the cable still be at an angle?

I'm sorry if I'm unclear, but you need a pulley under the platform, so that the cable will come vertically from it.

Back
Top Bottom