all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Playing Guitar

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Most people play with, from 4th string to 1st, open, 1, 3, 2. In that video he plays it open, 2, 3, 1.

-S-

@Fraser, the Dad fingers his D chords backwards, like James Taylor does.

-S-

It really bothers me haha. I play it how you describe above. I don't know if this is unique, but I love playing the G chord with the ring on the root, middle finger on the 5th string B and the pinky on the G on the 1st. Allows the index to fill in with phrases very well.

PS I also find it weird in rock guitar when I see people play the 5th of a power chord with their pinky, instead of the ring. Why not leave the pinky available to play the octave? Always confuses me

It really bothers me haha. I play it how you describe above. I don't know if this is unique, but I love playing the G chord with the ring on the root, middle finger on the 5th string B and the pinky on the G on the 1st. Allows the index to fill in with phrases very well.
Again, I thought that was normal. I usually have my index finger on the second fret of the A string, which technically makes it a G something-or-other but it sounds much the same to my ears. This is what you get from being a self-taught guitarist with virtually no knowledge of theory. Been playing for almost 20 years as well.

@Chrisdavisjr Many use middle finger on the root with the index on the B, 5th string (option 1) I mix it up myself and use option 3 as when you do it this way you can add the ring finger onto the D note on the 2nd string. Option 2 was what I initially posted that I typically do

You are playing a B if you are on the second fret of the A string, which is the third of G (G-B-D)and is your normal G chord fingering.
G ChordOptionOption 2Option 3
D - 3 (G)RingPinkyPinky
B - 0Ring on 3 (D)
G - 0
D - 0
A - 2 (B)IndexMiddleindex
E - 3 (G)middleringmiddle

If I understand you correctly, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around you using the ring finger on the 3rd fret 6th string but the index on the 2nd fret 5th string. Is that right?

Nice to know more guitarists/musicians here!

If I understand you correctly, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around you using the ring finger on the 3rd fret 6th string but the index on the 2nd fret 5th string. Is that right?

Nice to know more guitarists/musicians here!
Okay, so here's the thing: I'm never sure when people say 1st string whether they mean the low E or the high E (it seems to vary depending on who you ask) so:
My index finger is on the 2nd fret of the A string (B),
my middle finger's on the 3rd of the low E (G),
my ring finger's on the 3rd fret of the B (D)
and my pinkie's on the 3rd of the high E (G).

While I do play the guitar, I wouldn't really call myself a guitarist as there are so many gaps in my knowledge and I've never pursued the instrument in a structured, studious way; I just learned to play the stuff I liked (by ear, mostly). I'm going to have to try out a few of those G variations. I do find certain ways of fingering certain chords come in handy depending on what notes/chords are going on around them.

When it comes to the drum set I've had more lessons and am more au fait with theory but theory for drums is rather simple as it's all rhythmic and there are no scales, modes or keys (unless you're Terry Bozzio or something).

Also, if anyone objects to the complete derailment of this thread, I'd be happy to start a new one to talk about music stuff. I know there are a bunch of musicians on the SF forum (quite a few bass guitarists, if I'm not mistaken).

From Covid19, to Strenght training and ending up with guitars and finger positions!!

Welcome to Strongfirst!!

Both ways are quite common. Fingering it 1-2-3 is usually the only thing a beginner can manage, but some method books, e.g., the Hal Leonard, actually give both fingerings when they introduce the chord.

-S-

Okay, so here's the thing: I'm never sure when people say 1st string whether they mean the low E or the high E ...
String numbers are ordered by pitch. The first string is the highest.

(it seems to vary depending on who you ask) so:
This is only because so many guitarist haven’t learned the notation standards. If, e.g., you look at fingerings in classical guitar music, string numbers are written inside a circle, and they always follow the standard, otherwise they wouldn’t be useful.

The old joke is, “How do you get a guitarist to stop playing?” And the answer is, “Put a piece of music in front of him.” For the record, I’ve been playing since 1963 (studied jazz), teaching since 1971, and my first major in college was classical guitar performance. I am still teaching and playing, mostly teaching.

-S-

From Covid19, to Strenght training and ending up with guitars and finger positions!!

Welcome to Strongfirst!!
This instance is completely my fault, but wandering off topic is common in any Internet discussion. I’ll move this to a separate thread later tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT: Ok, now in a separate thread.

-S-

Last edited:
Okay, so here's the thing: I'm never sure when people say 1st string whether they mean the low E or the high E (it seems to vary depending on who you ask) so:
My index finger is on the 2nd fret of the A string (B),
my middle finger's on the 3rd of the low E (G),
my ring finger's on the 3rd fret of the B (D)
and my pinkie's on the 3rd of the high E (G).

I'm going to have to try out a few of those G variations. I do find certain ways of fingering certain chords come in handy depending on what notes/chords are going on around them.

Steve already answered so I'll just add that that option is quite common, especially when transitioning to a D since the ring finger is already there. Disarm by the Smashing Pumpkins is the first example off the top of my head where that works. I like that variation quite a bit.

I used to be the prototypical guitarist who can't read sheet music. I still really can't for guitar, though am now at a ~Level 3 piano so I can read mildly well for that which makes me feel slightly better about myself. I will admit though I taken some DEEP dives into theory. Jazz guitar is a mild new interest, though jazz theory is so intricate and I'm only on the fringes.

99% I love my 70-80's rock/early heavy metal stuff. Give me a Les Paul and a Marshall and I'll be happy for days. I'm actually awaiting my first Marshall amp to own (an Origin 20 due in early February). Currently own a Vox AC15 and while it's great, it's so freaking loud. It's nice to see many amp manufacturers embracing the need for home players to get decent overdrive at reasonable levels. Orange has the Rocker 15, marshall the origin and the studio/vintage series and a few others now have amps in the 15-20 watt range that come with powerstem tech to bring the watts down to <5 with the flick of a switch.

String numbers are ordered by pitch. The first string is the highest.
That's what I thought. I might be a little more theoretically-minded than I gave myself credit for!

99% I love my 70-80's rock/early heavy metal stuff. Give me a Les Paul and a Marshall and I'll be happy for days.
Yes! I'm a huge Marshall fan but, over the last few years spent working for a backline hire company, I've really come to appreciate the Vox amps. It seems a lot of guitarists are unaware that an AC30 with the volume on the 'brilliant' channel anywhere past about 3 o'clock absolutely screams. Stick a tube screamer in front of it and you could sit in with a thrash metal band, no joke. You'll need ear protection though!

Exactly. If I played in a band I would say it's all I need, but the Origin is great for home use. Sounds amazing in and of itself as well. Both amps are the embodiment of 70's-80's British rock.

I love the early tweed and valco style amps.. Think Howlin Wolf or Chuck Berry... Those amps are so interactive... I go from raspy distortion, to clean with a touch of dirt, just depending on how hard i strum. Marshalls are pretty sweet too, and Vox's.. I got a Laney TI15, which is a combo version of Tony Iommis amp, plus his sig Epiphone Guitar.. plus it into a treble booster and its unbelievable..

I didn't write "Black Sabbath", but boy that sound is pretty amazing when its you making it!

For years I gigged with much more power than I needed. What did I know, I was a kid who thought more watts equal better tone.

My first gigging amp was a 100 watt silver face Fender Twin Reverb. Then I gigged a 40 watt Fender Super Reverb. I had a flight case for the Super. It weighed a ton! (A 48k kettlebell? That ain't nothing. I humped a Super in a flight case, at 5 a.m., after playing 3 sets, and drinking a half case of beer!!)

By the time I got into my mid-40s, I was done regularly gigging. I also discovered the joy of low watt amps. I traded my Twin for a 22 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb. Around the same time I picked up a 15 watt clone of a Fender Tweed Deluxe.

Holy Sh*t! I finally "discovered" power tube distortion!! I couldn't believe how responsive these low watt amps were to the nuances of my playing. (Truth be told, there aren't many nuances.) I could go from Fender clean to a chunky overdrive depending on how hard I hit the strings. So satisfying!! I wished I would have "discovered" low watt amps decades ago.

I used to get my overdrive tone from a Tubescreamer and a Bixonic Xpandora. (I still use the pedals) But now I let my power tubes do the work.

The 22 watts is MORE than enough power for any gig I would ever play any more. (Certainly more power than I can use at home.) If not, I can throw a microphone on it and let the house mains do the work.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom