all posts post new thread

Kettlebell please check my snatch form

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
A few observations:
I'm seeing a little more lumbar flexion than I'd like.

You are casting the bell forward a little too much and breaking your hips early on the drop. This leaves the bell hanging too far in front, which causes you to be little squatty and cut the back swing a little short. It also leaks power because your arm is not as connected to your body as it should be. Try to pull your elbow in to your body sooner on the drop and delay the break of your hips a little more. Don't hinge in anticipation of the bell; wait until the arm is locked down to your body.

Instead of taming the arc so you are snatching straight to the lockout point and planking up solidly, it looks like the bell is moving backward at the catch and causing your body to twist to stabilize it. Your head position at the lockout is also a little thrust forward.

Left side looks better to me than right. I'd guess you are either left-handed and that side is just more stable OR you are right-handed and over-projecting the bell/not controlling the arc enough on your strong side.

Hope this helps.

The head going forward is from my barbell teqnique. It's hard to break. I'm right hand domminant. I hurt my shoulder this summer and I think it's affecting my form. It don't hhurt, but it's almost like I have to retrain it. Thanks, now I can watch the video again with your insight. It's now terrible looking, though,is it?

...It's now terrible looking, though,is it?

Just keep at it. I started lifting KBs when DD first started selling them, and of course the first thing I wanted to do was snatch. It took at least two weeks of letting the bell fly around my hand and smash the hell out of my forearm before I even started to get a clue how to avoid it. Even with the original RKC book and video (on VHS), troubleshooting was trial and error. I'm glad no one was around to see that, but my learning curve would have been a lot easier with some of the troubleshooting knowledge we've all learned since then.

Kudos for putting yourself out there in order to get better. As Neil Young once said about learning the guitar, "Just keep playing. It might sound like crap now, but pretty soon it's going to be awesome."

I love kettlebells. I started with Barbells, but I love Kettlebells. When I'm done with a routine (even just f'ing around)I feel like I just took the greatest drug in the world with no side affects. My dream is to teach them one day. I live in Wyoming and I'm broke, so I don't have access to the classes yet. So I'm totally self taught on everything I do,and that's slow

Matt, you are doing very well for self taught. Glad you are looking to improve and posting videos.

@Steve W., your critiques are several layers deep; I really like the way you get to the root of the thing that can be improved, and what effect that has on down the line. I learn a lot from these!

Thank you Anna, I'l post another video in a while. Although, I think my form already looks better. Also, I went down to 35lbs. I think that will be smarter

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom