all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Please critique my swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ChrisD

Level 4 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
Hello Strongfirst community,

I have been following Strongfirst for a while now but am new to the forums.

I've been training with kettlebells for a few years now but I started following the S&S program back in June this year.

I have uploaded a video of me doing 20 x 2 handed swings as well 10 x 1 handed swings for both left and right arms. The bell I'm using is a 32kg. Any feedback, suggestions & critique is appreciated.

Hmm no suggestions whatsoever? I don't know whether to be flattered or worried.... :confused: If I'm missing something in the OP or you guys would like more info from me I am happy to provide.

For my eyes your swing-timing looks not that bad.

Things you should work on:
-lock out posture, stay with your heels on a wall. Brace evrerything up: pull your knee caps up (tighten the thighs) squeze your glutes like hell, brace your abdominals (make the hissing sound), pull your shoulder blades down (activated lats), look straight away. That is almost the feeling you should feel for an instant in the lockout, and should look like, meaning, you tilt your head too much foreward.
- additionally you seem to hyperextend your back a little bit, which indicates me, that you are squeezing your glutes not enough.
- with one arm swings: your shoulders are not really packed, meaning the bell pulls them out of their sockets (lacking lat activation) on the end position, and your upper body is a bit twisted to much when you explode, and I would recommend, to go lighter especially on the one handed version

Hi cjd86

You are doing well with the 32kg swings! I am a newbe so I can't say a lot about your form. I am sure someone with more experience will reply.

Maybe you could give a few more details about your S&S program, you look like you might be in the Sinister part, and your kettlebell practice schedule. Do you do other training beside kettlebells? That will help the experts with their advice.

cjd86, only saw your post this morning. Maybe it was delayed from view as a new user? Or just missed it somehow...

I agree w/ Harald. Bottom of the swing (hinge) looks really good. Great neck-T-spine-lower back alignment! Looks like your knees might be coming out a bit much, but hard to tell from that angle. Timing and everything else looks good at the bottom. Top of the swing, not so good. Find a straight line; be a board; don't lean back. Also your last rep -- straight back! -- don't round your back or lose any tension until the bell is safely parked. I'd recommend lighter on the 1H swing for now, too. Need more lat engagement. A lot of the timing and other adjustments may work themselves out once you find that good standing plank for both 1H and 2H swings. Practice that as Harald suggested; another description of the same thing: screw your feet into the floor with slight outward turn; pull up on the kneecaps (tighten the quads); squeeze the glutes (and with that slightly outward turn of the feet, you will feel all the muscles around your hips tighten as well, bringing your hips forward to perfect lockout with your legs and abs; brace your abs; pull your shoulders down towards your hips, with a big chest; neck in line with the rest of your spine. And since you have the video to give yourself feedback, practice the hinge-to-standing-plank movement with no kettlebell, or just doing a kettlebell deadlift. Make yourself as straight and tight as possible in the standing position. Then try the same thing in a 2H swing with a light kettlebell. Hold the plank as long as possible as the kettlebell is descending, before you hinge. Then go heavier, as long as you can maintain that good standing plank at the top of the swing. Keep videoing youself; you will see a difference, and you will start to develop more power and it will be safer for your back.

All in all, not bad - I've certainly seen worse, and a good idea to post a video for feedback! Good work!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lew
Thanks for the feedback Harald and Anna. I will make the adjustments you've mentioned and post back with another video when I think I've got it all coming together.

Thanks again

everything Harald and Anna said ... a cue i use to help with 1H swings is to glue the upper arm of the hand holding the bell into my ribs, this will limit the bell from yanking your arm out and twisting your body and it will focus your attention on keeping the working shoulder packed and both shoulders aligned. Also, I reiterate strongly what both H and A said about lat engagement (activation). the lats will keep your shoulder pulled back and down (packed) on both 1H and 2H and it will also go far, along with an ab lockdown, to maintain a rigid plank at the top of the movement, two points which you need to work on based on this vid. i would drop the 1H swings down to a 24kg to get the correct feeling down, while sprinkling in the 32kg after you get the correct feeling set in stone with the 24kg, shouldnt take more than a few sessions. enjoy!

Hi all,

Its been a little while since my first post, whilst I haven't been able to train as regularly as I normally do, I've still been able to get in several sessions and work on the suggestions and feedback provided earlier.

I have definitely found that by implementing the suggested changes, that my work rate or effort required to perform the swings has increased. This isn't just physical effort but also the increased mental effort/concentration in bringing it all together. I've uploaded 3 individual clips of 2H 32KG swings as well as left and right 1H swings with a 24KG. I also decided to give some double cleans with 16KG bells a try and would appreciate any feedback on these also.

I've made some observations of the newer videos as to what I think may require adjusting.

1. Neck still forward a touch on plank\top of the swing? This could probably be sorted out by me moving the mirror out of my line of sight.
2. I'm not sure if its just the angle of the video, but on my left 1H swings it looks like my shoulder isn't completely packed. I have been working on maintaining lat activation and packed shoulder with my left swings, but I could potentially get my shoulder packed a bit more. I don't feel like I have this issue on my right side.
3. Too much curvature in my lower back at the top of the swing/plank? I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, or just a misrepresentation from the video? I am definitely tightening my glutes and my abs at the plank, but possibly not my abs enough. My eyes are not yet experienced enough to see if my current posture is off.
4. I could possibly wait a touch longer before chasing the bell through the hike?
5. I could hinge a bit further in my 1 handed swings?

That's my self review so far, I will appreciate any further comments & feedback from the community for my updated swings.

2H Swings 32KG

1H Swings 24KG Left

1H Swings 24KG Right

Double 16KG Cleans

Thanks again,
Chris

cjd, great improvement so far. All the finer points you could work on, you mentioned already. With the head positioning experiment a bit with your gaze (I found for myself beneficial, to look above the horizon when comming to lockout). A bit more hinging would be fine with the one arms.

Great work, Chris. I agree with Harald. The only other thing that I notice is the shoulder pack on the left hand swings could be improved, just as you pointed out in #2 above in your self-critique. Mine tends to do the same thing. I've had some success practicing maintaining the shoulder pack through the motion by exaggerating it as much as possible while practicing with a very light kettlebell. Pretend you are trying to hold a piece of paper under your armpit as you swing.

Glad you are finding success with the effort and concentration! Even when you feel you're "there" with the technique, it is still ever-changing; maintaining that mental focus is a key to a successful practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom