all posts post new thread

Pleave evaluate my 1 arm swings . . .

jrtmolar

Level 2 Valued Member
I’m sure you’ll get better replies soon. What I see is that you are allowing the bell to twist you more on the left side. The side view, in the backswing we can see your whole back but your shoulders should be square so that we wouldn’t be able to see your back from that angle.

Your shoulder appears to not be packed, which may be your lats not pulling back enough?

training for Sinister and I feel my 1 arm swings need some help. Espeically with the left arm, doesnt feel not efficent. I feel (and now see via this video) that my left leg/hip tend to bail out.

Would love some feedback from the experts here. This is with a 70 pound bell that feels comfortable. Any and all critisism is welcome

front view, 10 with right arm then 10 with left arm

side view, 10 with right arm then 10 with left arm
I’m not sure what type of shoes those are but if you can go barefoot it will allow you to grip the ground better. Your toes are coming up when you swing in those shoes.
When you start your swing start with the bell closer to the foot meaning further to the left or right not closer to you. This will allow you to start with your body square and not starting with your body twisted.
Your gaze should be about six feet infront of you not looking straight ahead. Wait a little longer for the bell on the way down, push your hips out of the way back. Consider taking a little longer break between sides so you can dial in the technique and not be fighting fatigue.

I would likely reduce the weight a bit to dial in the technique. From the front view you’re rotating the torso a bit (a small amount is fine but too much and it can cause some discomfort) try and keep your shoulders square a drill that helped me dial this in is the hand to hand swing. They are pretty good swings btw not far off.

training for Sinister and I feel my 1 arm swings need some help. Espeically with the left arm, doesnt feel not efficent. I feel (and now see via this video) that my left leg/hip tend to bail out.

Would love some feedback from the experts here. This is with a 70 pound bell that feels comfortable. Any and all critisism is welcome

Solid.
Maybe keep your kneecaps pulled up a bit longer, you start to break leg extension when the bell starts to drop. Wait for it, then a fast hinge.
Shoot another vid, head to toe, 45 degree angle, phone at waist height.

You can coach me easily with your existing technique. So I will watch inputs to your technique to learn…

1. How long have you been swinging? (Newbie vs experienced)?
2. If you are new, the swinga are pretty good. Drop the shoes (they make you "wobble" in the clip above) film it and see if there's any difference.

3. This does not directly apply if you are new, its finer pointers. When you bend the knees earlier in the movement your knees travel forward. Try to instead move the hips back wards right before smacking your ... Erhm... Jewels(?) with the bells. (Cause you know... that would hurt).
Film it and see if you can notice/feel any change. You "wack" (watch the video and you can see what i mean when extending the knee) your knees with every extension of the knees with knees going forward instead of hip going backwards.

Your swings are similar to mine so I'm interested in the feedback you receive.

FYI - these are the things I am personally working on myself with the 32kg 1H swing:

1. Initial hike. Strongly hiking the kettlebell back to get the best 1st rep.

2. Squaring shoulder at the bottom of the swing. Trying to get the shoulder of the free arm to point downwards at the bottom of the swing. Don't let it rotate to the side. This will help with deeper hinge.

3. Packing shoulders: pack them down and in, not up and out. This is for both the top and bottom of the swing. Touch the bell with non-working hand at the top of swing.

4. Play chicken: hinging only at the last moment when the bell is coming down

Last edited:
Maybe keep your kneecaps pulled up a bit longer, you start to break leg extension when the bell starts to drop. Wait for it, then a fast hinge.
+1 to this
Sorry I'm a bit late with the feedback
See screen captures below - at this point in the downswing ( :12 and :46) , you should still be standing tall in the plank, without any bend at the knees.
Then as Don said, a fast hinge.
Shoulder could be packed and sqared a bit better at that point, too, especially the left one.
Try patterning it slow (without the kettlebell) before each set, and the swing will improve.
Keep us posted on your progress! Lots of good going on there. I think you can make it even better.

1680487057501.png1680486990263.png

Last edited:
All great points above - shoulder packing (I feel you can be a bit more squared - try touching the bell's handle with your free arm at the top of the swing), knee bend a bit early (I like to think about playing chicken with the bell - I think this is a Dan John comment - wait till the bell is just about to hit your groin area and then hinge to avoid. Best to pattern it without a bell and feel the movement, then gradually increase weigh to your current bell).

Another thing I observed is the last rep form. Please maintain tension till you completely park the bell. Its usually those last reps when we don't focus that results in injuries.

A lot of good as of now and it will only get better and more powerful. Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom