all posts post new thread

Old Forum PM discussion

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
and also, doing get ups with a 95-135lb barbell mixed with swings and deadlifts provided me with some nice obliques,shoulders and back muscles that havent seemed to go away even when i focus my attention on other things and lay off the weights for a little while.

Seems easy to lose the plot on this. Again, the PM is a Program Minimum, after all.

I don't think many people will argue that the swing is an excellent drill for conditioning - so that's probably a non-issue.

So, the issues that come up seem to imply that the TGU is lacking. If you were designing a minimalist program and trying to choose only one kettlebell exercise other than the TGU, what would it be?

Only one because it's a minimalist program - in this case one strength drill and one conditioning drill.

Kettlebell only because after all, it's in the book Enter the Kettlebell.

Sure, you could string together a circuit with a clean & press, windmill, and front or overhead squat, but is that still a PM? You can add more exercises to "fill in the gaps", but again, is that still a minimalist program?

Keep in mind too, that ETK is aimed at beginners. Yes, it goes beyond that stage, but with the detailed instruction, it's clearly aimed at people with little kettlebell experience. So, your one strength drill can't be too complicated.

If you're trying to hit as many body parts as possible, while keeping them working as one unit, what would you use instead? Remember, only one, and kettlebell only. I'm not that experienced, so there may be a good one out there, but I can't think of one.

I'm not really challenging and saying the TGU is the only or even the best option. But, it's certainly a good one and covers a lot of bases for a single exercise, and many people are reporting great results. Personally, I went on the ROP for a month or so and I could tell the volume was too much for me - too much for my sketchy shoulder, and took too much time. So, I'm back on the PM. I'm slightly tweaking it, but just scheduling really. I'm not really adding any more exercises (I often finish with a loaded carry, and sometimes ab-wheel rollouts or planks).

I have been doing them consecutively this way I get a full two days to recover. I usually just do really light practice for other moves just to keep the muscles moving. Like I have said earlier I don't get sore but by the 5th day I feel my body getting tired faster

I haven't really been doing the 5-day version, but have been doing both TGUs and swings in the same workout, just stressing one or the other, and I work out 4-5 days a week.

At one point, I was doing 10 x 10, and wouldn't mind mixing that back in occasionally. On my swing days I've been doing 200 swings, and usually do (10, 15, 25) x 4. On my TGU days, I've still been doing 100 swings, and for that usually do (10, 15, 10, 15) x 2.

That said, I'm considering going to a steady 5 TGUs per side (maybe more some days) plus 100 swings (like the 5-day version), but sticking with four days, so I have a day off in between (Sun, Mon, Wed, Thurs).

I do 20 swings then take a 30 sec to 1 min break ( my only variable 30 sec break on the days I feel strong, 1 min break the days i know i need a little extra time) for 12 min I usually average 140 to 230 swings

Joe Dymnioski

Right now im doing 32kg double 3 days and 2 days a week i do 24kg singles. They bother my hernia a little bit so I go lighter.

What would be a good number of swings to aim for, before moving up a bell size? The five minutes of TGU's feel pretty solid to me right now and I am doing swings on the minute for twelve minutes (up to fifteen swings on the minute and climbing)

Also, would it make sense to keep going up a bell size and reach the beast or when one size of bell is achieved do a doubles PM (basically double swings and TGU's) with the achieved bell size?

Still planning on cycling the PM and PTTP as was mentioned in the two week rotating cycle because like Jon said "life isnt worth living if you cant deadlift" and who doesnt like to defy gravity and pick heavy stuff off the ground.

I've also thought that 200 swings in 10 minutes was a good goal - in line with the snatch test.

Personally, I haven't been timing my workouts anymore. I'm counting reps for both TGUs and swings, and have been looking at my swing workouts with the recent high-volume swing workouts in mind. I've only been doing 200 swings at the most, but that's quite a workout for me, and I may add to that - or do more swings on my TGU workout days.

I just moved from the PM to the RoP but do 20 two handed swings on the minute as my all-out efforts on Saturdays and 15 two handed swings on the minute as my 75-80% efforts on Wednesdays.  I was doing 240 two hand swings in twelve minutes on the PM and for me that was hard.  I think I was ready to move up a weight and may switch back to the PM with the next weight up as it was giving me good results.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom