all posts post new thread

Old Forum PM Min Club!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hunter,

I did a the PM briefly, then did a Brief stint on the ROP with the 20kg. I should have stayed longer on the PM to begin with I feel, as I jumped in the ROP far to early, not been ready. Im focussing purely on the PM. My plan is to stay on this program for the rest of the year at least, that will take alot of  will, but I like the challenge. I want to milk this program to the max as im really liking the gains im getting from Getups and Swings.

If I ever decide go back on the ROP I would likely have few sessions with a Strongfirst instructor to make sure my Clean and Snatch techniques are up to high standard, as I feel the high volume presents a risk with less than perfect technique. My Focus is on the PM largely.

I've been on the PM for about two months now, though I did take about two weeks off after having a heart attack early into it (I've explained my kettlebell workouts to my cardiologist (and/or his RN) twice, and was given an OK - "no restrictions on activity" they said). I like the PM and I'm making progress.

I've been using the 16kg, and have gotten up to 10 minutes on the TGU before I feel my form deteriorates. I had one workout a few weeks ago where I did one rep on each side with the 24kg. This past Sunday I used the 24kg again, and got two reps on each side (in 5 minutes). I ended up losing control of the kettlebell on the very last step, and let it fall to the side (I was already lying down, but certainly could have tweaked my elbow). I then rested a few minutes, then did five minutes with the 16kg.

I think I'll use the 24kg for TGUs in every other workout or so, like a "heavy" day.

I also just started using the 24kg for my swings as well, starting two weeks ago. At the beginning of the workout I might do a set of 20 reps, but for the most part, I do sets of 10. My last workout I did a total of 150 reps with the 24kg.

When I first started two months ago or so, I was using the 16kg for everything. I could go for 5-7 minutes on the TGU, and was getting a total of 120-130 swings. Now, I could be doing about the same time/numbers with the 24kg.

During this progress, I've lost over 10 pounds, which is significant since I only weighed 177 to start with (at 5'10").

Also, I often do crush curls after my TGUs, and do static overhead holds after swings. I'm not sure if I should keep the static holds on swing day, since I just did TGUs the day before. That might be too much static holding in too short a time. Beyond that, I will GTG with regular pushups on many days, and occasionally do ab wheel roll-outs after the PM workout.

All that said, I'm sometimes still chomping at the bit to start the ROP. Mainly, I just want to do some presses. I will probably just start practicing a few reps before my PM workouts though.

I've read posts from others here (even besides Aaron) who felt like they went to the ROP too quickly, and have come back to the PM. So, I know I shouldn't be in a rush.

Jason

Jason C,

Seems like your doin great mate.  Just dont be a hero and progress steadily. If somethings working Why Fix it or change it? You want strength and conditioning I guess from your strength program and your clearly getting it. As your loosing Weight and progressing in bell size.

With me  and the PM I felt Ive made nice Strength gains well keeping resh and not burning out. Plus it fits well with my life style, better than the ROP did with me.

Hello all,

I'm returning to the PM from ROP as I'm moving soon and with young children plus lots of diy to do, the PM looks a good fit around a busy schedule.

Goals are to complete etk standards which for me is probably going to be pressing 32kg +the 10 min snatch test.

I plan to do tgu with 24kg and progress to 32 kg, and 32kg for swings. GTG pull ups at the weekend. Does anyone have any views on whether I would be better off swapping a swing day for snatches, or will progressing to 32kg one hand swings keep me on track?

I did 10 weeks on ROP with a 16, got to 5 x (1,2,3,4,5), taking a few weeks break with a return to the PM... 32kg swings for 12 minutes and 24kg TGUs, did 3 reps on each side today after 10 minutes crawling

Faisal - I think that's a good approach - I went through rop with 16, 20 and halfway through 24 without going back to PM. In hindsight I think progress for me would have been steadier by laying foundations with the PM.

Good luck with it!

Thanks David, my 24kg press needs work so I'm doing warmup, working on my tension techniques then either swings or TGUs depending on the day. I'm really feeling it in the hamstrings after the 135 swings with the 32kg on Monday. My target is to hopefully complete the ROP by end of Jan (started ETKB in Feb), I don't want to rush things.

I don't know where Jesus fits in, to each his own I guess, but I do know that the PM is for real and has made up my baseline workout for the past 3 years.  I add to it depending on the season, my mood, how my body feels, what goals I have set for the short term, but for my long term goal of being Strong First, the PM is always there and other than planned breaks I don't miss a workout, after all you only need 5 to 12 minutes!!! I just recently graduated to using the 32kg bell for my PM, so that is a new challenge that I am enjoying greatly.  this morning I was feeling out of sorts, slept in an extra 45 minutes and only had about 10 minutes to do something before I hit the shower and caught the train to work, 5 minutes of joint mobility exercises and 5 minutes of TGU with the 32kg got my head straight, got my body tight and started what I thought was going to be a bummer of a day with a great spark!  couldn't be any simpler.

I'm thinking about adding loaded carries, goblet squats, and pulls to my program to cover all human movements. These will be done easier and less frequently, and my main focus will still be swings and get ups.

I've been thinking along the same lines.

I'm thinking of doing regular pushups and goblet squats as a quick workout in the morning, along with some mobility - just to get the movements in. Then do my real workouts in the evenings, which would be something like this (copied from another post I made on this forum):

--------------------

What I was planning to do is to keep the focus on one exercise (TGU or swing) in each workout, but still do a low-volume bit on the other one. Like this:

Sun/Wed – TGU workout:

- – - TGU (working up to 15 minutes or so)

- – - Swings (75-100 reps)

Mon/Thurs – Swing workout

- – - TGU (one single per side)

- – - Swings (15-20 minutes)

On Fridays or Saturdays, I may have another “light” workout, and I’m off on Tuesdays.

My thinking on this comes from trying to keep the simplicity of the PM, but also considering the philosophy that if it’s important, do it every day, and Dan John’s 40-Day Program. I’ve also seen several recent articles/posts about doing swings every day.

I’m also considering finishing the workouts with planks and various loaded carries (overhead, rack, farmer’s, picking one per workout).

--------------------

So, not the PM proper, but still with the TGU and swing at the core. For the main workouts, I'm really just adding the planks and loaded carries. I don't have a practical way to add pulls right now, so I'll just have to rely on the swings to fill that need.

Hello forum,

first time poster here, yet have been reading for weeks.  I am two weeks into PM and really digging it.  BJJ gym in town closed up shop so now  I am venting my energy on some bells!  I have started with the 16kg, I have never messed with a kB before but I work with a RKC cert who is keeping me straight.  Thanks ETK!

I am currently hitting 180 one handed swings in 12 minutes.  I am working toward getting well over 200. 

TGU for seven minutes and I tested last weekend with the 24kg.  I got two reps, one each side and it felt really good.  I am sticking with the 16kg, adding a minute a week and moving up to the 24kg when I hit ten minutes.  I keep eyeing the 32kg, that would be a half bw for me!

Monday/Thursday are Swings

Tuesday/Friday are TGU

Wednesday I do alittle of everything for skill, all light.

Saturday I climb for a couple of hours.

I am trying to take my time with PM, but I am looking forward to ROP next summer!

Andrew, welcome to Strong First... PM is brilliant and I'm sure you'll quickly see it's benefits and your progress, all the best.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom