all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Poor Technique and Trainers

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
I have recntly enrolled in an unnamed Canadian chain commercial gym. I paid for only a one month trial, after a pushy salesman really wanted to sell a two year contract and training sessions. Right now I do not think I will renew my membership at this gym.

I am looking to change things up a bit. Although I find myself doing the same training I have been doing at home. It's nice having access to a sauna, a select few machines, and rowing machines.

Hardly anyone uses the kettlebells aside from goblet squats and American swings. They have nice competition bells, but only up to 36kg. I constantly have people come up to me while practicing asking me what I am doing or making some sort of comment.

As I look around the gym between sets I am appalled by the unsafe and ineffective technique of the average gym goer. The staff is not much better. 99% of the trainers have people doing movements their clients are not ready for, and do not correct poor form. There are only two staff members I have met whom I would consider working with.

I see an awful lot of rounded backs, partial reps, and generally ineffective training. I am so thankful for awesome resources, coaches/mentors I have had, and online communities like this one. I take a lot of pride in educating myself and implementing what I learn to make myself a strong, reslient human.

I have to resort to gyms when travelling for business (which is a lot), and I get what you are saying... many people get led into the entirely wrong direction by would-be trainers
It is not only the trainers' fault though, many people would not listen to good advice anyway, at some point nobody's interested in improving or learning anymore

I do like when people ask me what I do with the KBs, but most of the time they follow it up with a shrug and a "whatever works for you" and then they go off and do some ridiculous thing with stupidly dangerous form. Sometimes somebody is really interested in why and how, but it's rare

hence I prefer working out in my garage, no know-it-alls, and no stupid looks

Honestly, that's one of the reasons that brings me back to the gym. and keeps me motivated to improve my form and structure.

As much as I would love to help these people is see. I am not "The Unsolicited Advice Guy". Most people do not accept training advice that way, and I do not have any formal coaching training. I have mentored a few young lifters in the past with great success, but they were very dedicated kids.

I stopped going to the gym a few years ago.
Haven't missed it a day. Ever since I discovered and SFG and everything related to it I have improved a lot more than I ever did in the gym.

I'm actually kinda disappointed there's not more saunas around here in the US. Seems like there are a couple in big cities and stuff, but mostly it's a gym thing, and I'm not aware of any around me. I would definitely pay for a membership for one of those without the attendant gym environment.

@kbell12 The sauna is pretty awesome. I do 5 min preworkout rather than another warmup method. Post workout 10 min. lying on the bench diaphramatic breathing totally relaxing.

I have been training hard after a 3 week layoff without any of the expected sore tight muscles. It seems to be helping recovery.

I am thinking of adding cold showers. I do contrast showers a lot. Should have the same effect.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom