all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Portable power rack?

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
That could work where spotters are available or in combination with the IronMind Pillars of Power. But I want to be able to bail safely with nobody around. I'm sure some just use squat stands and learn how to bail "safely", but I want the safety equivalent of a cage. The Sutherland appears to offer that. Just wish there was a cheaper option. Anyone? How do you squat and bench alone?

That could work where spotters are available or in combination with the IronMind Pillars of Power. But I want to be able to bail safely with nobody around. I'm sure some just use squat stands and learn how to bail "safely", but I want the safety equivalent of a cage. The Sutherland appears to offer that. Just wish there was a cheaper option. Anyone? How do you squat and bench alone?

You can purchase spotter arms for that rack from Rogue too: http://www.roguefitness.com/saml-24-monster-lite-spotter-arms-pair

We also have 5 sets of the IronMind Vulcan III squat stands at our gym, and they are great racks. They are a smaller footprint than most portable racks, and are super strong. We do not have their spotter arms though, so I can't speak to those. Our weightlifting team just squats with bumper plates making it safe to bail if needed.

I've had this issue as well. I went to the hardware store and bought a pair of sawhorses- the plastic folding kind. They hold 500 pounds each, so they are adequate to spot for squats. I got concrete, two 5-gallon buckets, and two 2x6 boards. My squat stands are boards sticking out of buckets of concrete with a notch on top for the bar. I can just roll them out when I need them, and put the sawhorses in front of them. It's ghetto, but it's cheap, weatherproof, and it works.

Steve, I didn't know this login was you - welcome aboard, belatedly. :)

-S-

Thanks, Steve. I chose the username originally when I signed on to the forum, but it used my name. I reset my password, and it changed over. Glad to be here!

I use a very similar squat stand bucket setup, it works pretty great although with the buckets I have, carrying them for distance is rather painful because there isn't a good place to grip them. I've only done this once or twice though -- they are easy to roll if you only need to move them a few feet.

Before I could afford a power rack I only had stands. I used them for years. For safety bars I filled 4 buckets with cement, and placed the appropriate sized weight for the size of each bucket on top of the cement (the front two buckets have to be smaller to fit at the base of my stands). Then, I placed a vertical trampoline pole through each plate hole. After that dried I was able to connect them using horizontal trampoline polls. Those were my safety bars, but I could only use them for squatting. They were too high for bench, but it was easily moved around.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom