all posts post new thread

Barbell Possible training routine I might try

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Dixon

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello everyone.

I am slowly getting back into fitness after a rather lacklustre few years of sporadic workouts and no real goals or consistency. For years before that I had very definite goals and trained religiously primarily using typical bodybuilding regimes.

Currently all I am doing is KB swings for around one hundred reps in ten minutes or so four-five days a week to re-build a level of heart and lung fitness that I have let slip over recent years but eventually I want to add more classic strength and muscle building moves back into my training.

I have already posted on this briefly in the kettlebell thread but thought I might try it here too as I want to add some barbell/dumbbell work to any future routine.

Directly from this site and it's various links I came across this article: Myofibrillar Growth & Conditioning – The Program | T Nation

I have never trained this way but admit I am intrigued if anyone has tried anything like it and if it would work.

If memory serves, Craig Marker published something very similar on breakingmuscle.com as well. I haven’t tried it myself but it sounds like a solid program from a trusted author to me.

-S-

Thank you Steve. Yes I think the article is by Craig. I am only a little along my journey to regain fitness so I am sticking to just basic KB work for the timebeing but it is definitely something I will look at in the future.

Having read the article it doesn't seem to lay out any kind of progression. Although it is a relatively short duration strategy ( six weeks ) I would still have thought there would be an indication of how you would progress whilst using it. Increase weight? Reps? Or is it enough that you are hitting the movement with high frequency that you really don't need to increase the weight?

The volume for a particular muscle group is also quite high at least for me at thirty six sets per week I usually do only half of this and often even less so could the routine be altered to include two or three separate exercises for different body parts? So that each run might include a different body part for three sets? You would still be hitting the targeted body part three times a week albeit with fewer total sets.

I am loathe to modify any prescribed training method out of respect to the amount of work that has gone into it's formulation but thirty six sets per week is I feel too high for me and I tend to respond to a lower volume than that.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom