all posts post new thread

Nutrition Post-Lifting Anabolic Window

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I don't put much stock in that, but I have read enough that I put stock in the carb replenishment period just after lifting. Supposedly ingested carbs are more likely to get shunted right to storage and the insulin response is muted, so you keep burning fat just as if you hadn't carb'd up. This is pretty well documented, the immediate need for protein doesn't seem to be very well supported.

Metabolic window - Wikipedia

What do we think of this? The Wiki says 30 minutes, but I've heard many folks say the timing isn't important.

-S-
The Wiki also says: Currently there is not sufficient scientific evidence to support the metabolic window theory.
So really, I think it is up to everybody to decide if they want to hassle with this. It would be mostly self-experimentation. Personally, I don't put much weight into this theory and eat when I want/can regardless of proximity to training

I've heard as long as you get your macros or whatever it's called today in sometime you are fine

When I wrote the post that starts this thread, I had just done 140 presses and was _hungry_. My usual training doesn't have that effect on me.

-S-

Maybe it's the volume. Maybe it's the weather. I've noticed since it's colder I am more hungrier than usual.

Metabolic window - Wikipedia

What do we think of this? The Wiki says 30 minutes, but I've heard many folks say the timing isn't important.

-S-

Metabolic window

"Some theorists believe the metabolic window begins to close within minutes..."

In other word, it's a theory not a fact; it something that believe but don't know.

"Currently there is not sufficient scientific evidence to support the metabolic window theory."

This take up back, it is not a fact, they are guessing; guessing meaning no one knows.

Dr Brad Schoenfeld
» Nutrient Timing Revisited: The Anabolic Window of Opportunity

1) ...the “window of opportunity” is not necessarily as narrow as often believed.

2) ...you don’t have to stress about chowing down a post-workout meal as soon as you finish training.

3) ...consuming post-exercise carbohydrate does not meaningfully enhance anabolism. Moreover, unless you are performing two-a-day workouts involving the same muscle group(s), glycogen replenishment will not be a limiting factor in those who consume sufficient carbohydrate over the course of a given day.

Kenny Croxdale

I don't have a horse in this race but... there are theories and 'theories ' People tend to use the term theory loosely...

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.

I think this is a case where science, so to say, will not tell us anything for a long, long time. However, we have anecdotal evidence from lots of successful trainees and trainers. I like to try to take advantage of the metabolic window. But it doesn't come at a cost to me.

I don't know about a metabolic window, when bodybuilding I found that 'pre-loading' with food did more for growth. Consistent eating was the key for me, well nourished muscle cells pump better and lift more weight.
In other words I grew best when eating alot and it didn't matter much when I ate it, more important was how much I ate.
If you're half starved with low glycogen levels before training, the muscle performs poorly and is more at risk of injury. Eating in an 'anabolic window' did nothing for me under these conditions if I was generally underfed before training.

My personal observations:

Better not to be famished at the start of your exercise session.

I’m hungry after a long lifting session, not so much when session is less than 40 minutes or so.

-S-

Hunger is a sensation dependant on several factors, only one of which is actual lack of caloric resources. For example, one of the biggest influencers on hunger is hormone ghrelin. Its secretion can largely be "trained". So, if somebody's lunch time shifts for a couple consecutive days, this hormone secretion also changes to that time.

In general, hunger is not the best indicator of when the body actually needs food, more of when our brain expacts it. And usually our brains expact food after particularly resource-depleting tasks, e.g. physical labour, exercise.

Side note, how many people notice that they often don't feel hungry during the training session, but start right after it? Almost like our brain knows that you won't start eating mid-set, so he holds off that signalling until after the session ends.

Last edited:
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.

An Educated Guess

A theory is an "Educated Guess".

The Lipid Hypothesis Theory

This "Theory" came out over 50 years ago and won't go away. The dogma continues to be perpetuated.

The Hypertension-Sodium Theory

This is another "Theory" built on a house of card that has been around for decades. It too continue to be preached.

So, much for "Reliable accounts of the real world".

Kenny Croxdale

An Educated Guess

A theory is an "Educated Guess".

The Lipid Hypothesis Theory

This "Theory" came out over 50 years ago and won't go away. The dogma continues to be perpetuated.

The Hypertension-Sodium Theory

This is another "Theory" built on a house of card that has been around for decades. It too continue to be preached.

So, much for "Reliable accounts of the real world".

Kenny Croxdale
And the theory of quantum mechanics.... including the Schroedinger wave equation... THE description of how the real world works. Unassailable after close to 100 years...

Just sayin....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom