all posts post new thread

Nutrition Post Workout Recovery Shake + Protein Digestion

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rebelshrug

Level 5 Valued Member
Been grokking diy post-workout recovery shakes, and it seems that whey protein and dextrose are the order of the day. If I understand correctly, the dextrose helps shuttle protein and nutrients to your muscles' cells, and drinking such a concoction within 20 minutes of completing a workout will greatly aid in recovery and increase swolyness.

Wouldn't the protein and dextrose have to digest in the same amount of time for this to work out? Do they digest in the same amount of time? Or am I just completely misunderstanding how it works?

You are overcomplicating things.
If it helps you to hit your protein requirenments go for the protein shake but don't assume that it is a necessity. Having a solid meal after training even if it is some hours later will work equally as good (and you get to eat real food which is much more satisfying).
Also: how much dextrose do you take?
If you have a protein shake I would not add dextrose at all. Have a banana or two (or some other fruit) if you want/need carbs.

Thanks for the responses.

Fat free chocolate milk is where it's at.
Unfortunately, I can't drink milk.

You are overcomplicating things.
If it helps you to hit your protein requirenments go for the protein shake but don't assume that it is a necessity.

I drink a small protein shake after every workout, but am interested in rolling my own - with unflavored whey isolate as the main ingredient. I want to avoid some of the ingredients/chemicals in the pre-made stuff, and save a few cents at the same time.

I don't have a blender at work, so it would have to mix well in a blender bottle.

Also: how much dextrose do you take?
If you have a protein shake I would not add dextrose at all. Have a banana or two (or some other fruit) if you want/need carbs.

No dextrose at the moment.

I love carbs. I'm part of a workout group, and several members of that group do the low-carb or keto thing. They've definitely leaned up, and it's fantastic that they met their goals. My goal was to add muscle, and to lean up by increasing my metabolism - and that's worked for me.

Having a solid meal after training even if it is some hours later will work equally as good (and you get to eat real food which is much more satisfying).

Marc, I eat several solid meals a day. My friends joke that I have a tapeworm. His name is Bob. I'm eating for two :D

That's a funny story with Bob!
Don't get me wrong: there is nothing bad about protein shakes but they are by no means a necessity. If they help you hit your protein number then go for it.
Of course you can go for unflavoured but all the additions wouldn't harm you either (you absoluteley cannot take in enough protein powder for the additions to have an ill effect on you).
I am also a fan of carbs but dextrose really woud not be my first choice. And if it really was I'd stick to no more than 20-30g. Maybe have a banana instead.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom