all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Potential for a lighter man?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'm 5'4", 145 lbs, male, on the "wrong side" of fifty. I can swing the 32 kg for 100 reps, no problem. I own the TGU with 24 kg but struggling with the 32 kg.

Any suggestions for TGU progression to 32 kg? This week I started to train with it by pressing and holding at the start position for 30 secs at a time on each side. My first goal is to be comfortable holding it for 45 secs and then move to the sitting position. Rinse and repeat until standing. Does it make sense?

Thanks.
Many folks work in the intermediate 28kg first...

As a lighter, and older man, I'd like to encourage the OP to get the S&S book and be patient. My goal is to complete the Simple test. I have been working on it for five years and enjoying every second of the journey.

5 second pauses in each step works wonders..

when you can strongly complete 5 sets per side with 24kg using this approach, add a set of 32kg getups (pause only a second per step) then stay with it for 2-3 sessions before considering adding another step

I added 5 sec pauses this morning and can already feel it will help. Could complete only one set with the pauses.

Also, found this thread very helpful:

Turkish get-up; moving up in weight (S&S)

Thanks!

Back in 2017, i started to do Swing and get up (SnS). I weighted 65-67 kg during that period, and before i used the kettlebell in training i could deadlift 2 Bw, squat 1.5 bw for 3 reps - i think i was kinda strong, but i "end up" to use the 25 kg bell for swinging for very long time ( 5-6 months). Turn out, i had a technique problem at swinging ( my get up was still good, i was doing 36 kg get up during those time). So make sure you care less about your weight and more about your technique ;)

Hello, I'm a 61 kg, 5'8" male who is discovering I'm not nearly as strong as I'd like to be (or thought I was). Briefly, I'm new to strength training, having been a swimmer and surfer for years, but now landlocked and 40 years old, with a young family, I have been only doing military style calisthenics in my backyard for some time. My stamina is decent: I did Murph slick in 31 minutes (subbing 2000 m ERGs for the mile runs) on my first try. But after a golfer's elbow injury incurred while trying to repeat that performance weighted, I started looking for something else to do. I started kettlebell, and weight training in general a few months ago. I am being humbled.

My question regards my overall body weight and my potential for progression into heavier kettle bells. Yesterday I tried the simple 100 swings, 5 TGU at a gym: I didn't time myself. Embarrassingly, the 16 KG for TGUs tired me, and I could only do the one-arm swings with a 24. I am keen, and looking to get a few bells of my own, but I am wondering, quite frankly, if my body weight will hold me back. Most guys I see in the gym seem to snatch a 24 no problem, and on the forums I see that 32 is not necessarily a big deal. But for me that would be over half my weight.

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who is around my weight who can tell me how their progression is has gone into heavier weights, and where they are currently. It goes without saying that I also welcome advice/narratives from women, as I am perhaps closer to some of their weight categories in body and performance. I see there are some very strong women doing KB.

From my personal experience You can create very big power and strenght no doubt....

My exemplár 24 years 7 years of serii a training with kettlbell - 56kg TGU slowly and strong and double 32kg swings for 7reps ....

Power and strenght is no problem...
Bigger problem for me for lighter man from my personal experience is gaining weight....

Are is there generally someone who has gained a kettlbell program like Dan John Armor Kettlbell or Geoff Neupert program or so ... ??

Power and strenght is no problem...
Bigger problem for me for lighter man from my personal experience is gaining weight....

Are is there generally someone who has gained a kettlbell program like Dan John Armor Kettlbell or Geoff Neupert program or so ... ??

kettlebell muscle
strong as hec plan 701a
RMF

would be my top 3

Well this heavier man just got out lifted by two lighter men. You know what they say about potential?

Most guys I see in the gym seem to snatch a 24 no problem, and on the forums I see that 32 is not necessarily a big deal.

Snatching with a 32kg is achievable by most people in time. But it's also a big deal. The average person would find it troubling just to suitcase carry a 32. You're in a gym with people who even know what a snatch is, they are likely some of the strongest people in your city. Start from where you are, not where the strongest guys in your city are.

Just wanted to follow up on this post from August. I followed the advice to add 5 second pauses and Today I was able to complete the TGU on both sides with the 32 Kg.

Thank you very much for the advice!

5 second pauses in each step works wonders..

when you can strongly complete 5 sets per side with 24kg using this approach, add a set of 32kg getups (pause only a second per step) then stay with it for 2-3 sessions before considering adding another step

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom