all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Power clean vs deadlift for boxing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Power clean, front squat and push press (as a single, continuous movement with a brief pause between phases) should be mandatory for any kind of non-strength athlete.

Any kind of non-strength athlete?

Meh, I'm a strength athlete (weightlifting) and all in favor of S&C training, but this seems hyperbolic.

I also row. PC is useful for rowing. Push press? No.

Is the PC and push press useful to marathoners? I don't see how....

That would depend on a variety of factors.

1, what weight class you compete in (if you do compete).
2, how strong your deadlift is currently.
3, what you hope to gain from each of those lifts.

Let's say you weigh 80kg and have never deadlifted before. Your strength training was just bodyweight work during your boxing sessions. Then I would advise you deadlift first and become stronger in the deadlift. As boxing is your no1 focus your deadlift progression should be very slow and progression strategic. Starting will make you feel sore because it is a completely new stimulus but after that initial period there shouldn't be anymore soreness if you are very slow and strategic with your progression. When you have a 1.75-2 times bodyweight deadlift then you have accumulated more than enough strength to move onto the power clean. For carryover to your sport you do not need a perfect power clean. Many athletes ahd coaches will bastardise a traditional lift to make it more beneficial to their goals. The power clean, especially from the hang is very easy to learn.

You can spend the first few weeks using very light power cleans from the hang as part of the warm up for your deadlift. Then when you become more proficient completely replace the deadlift with the full power clean. Using a similar slow, strategic progression.

Med ball throws of various kinds are also a very good addition too. Especially those that emphasize the twisting of the core.

Meh, I'm a strength athlete (weightlifting) and all in favor of S&C training, but this seems hyperbolic.

Both power clean and push press improve power production (and strength, of course). I find it extremely interesting for any kind of athlete.

And, yes, maybe a marathon runner doesn't need to generate much power, but sprinters, jumpers (long and high), pole vaulters, hurdlers and throwers of all kinds do. Which basically agrees with my proposition.

And football, soccer, basketball, lacrosse, hockey players too. Which basically agrees with my proposition.

And boxers, wrestlers, judokas, MMA fighters, fencers, indoor cyclists, ice skaters, bobsleigh athletes too. Which basically agrees with my proposition.

If it makes you more comfortable, I'll replace "any" for "the vast majority of non-strength athletes by far". (y)

Or we can spend the next millennia splitting hairs.

If it makes you more comfortable, I'll replace "any" for "the vast majority of non-strength athletes by far". (y)

Maybe for the power clean....

But not for the push press.

Even in Olympic lifting, it's an accessory exercise.

When I played in Division I sports, in the weight room, I saw a wide variety of athletes (volleyball, basketball) doing power cleans to improve their vertical leap.

But never once saw the push press being programmed for non-lifters / non-throwers.

The PP doesn't bring anything to hip-based power production and vertical leap that PC doesn't already do better. It might be simpler to learn, but it's also going to be more limited in max weights, and thus ultimately, max force training.

There is ample academic research on the PC's use in sports.

I'm not saying PP never gets used, but the PC is a staple for lots of good reasons.

Last edited:
Maybe for the power clean....

But not for the push press.

Even in Olympic lifting, it's an accessory exercise.

When I played in Division I sports, in the weight room, I saw a wide variety of athletes (volleyball, basketball) doing power cleans to improve their vertical leap.

But never once saw the push press being programmed for non-lifters / non-throwers.

The PP doesn't bring anything to hip-based power production and vertical leap that PC doesn't already do better. It might be simpler to learn, but it's also going to be more limited in max weights, and thus ultimately, max force training.

There is ample academic research on the PC's use in sports.

I'm not saying PP never gets used, but the PC is a staple for lots of good reasons.

And I'm sure in your experience that is completely true.

My background is a bit different, though: I've been practicing martials arts for a little more than forty years, most of them at a pretty decent level. I'm no pro-fighter in any way, but I have trained, sparred and been repeatedly beaten by a quite a few of them.

During that time, most of the pressing we did was push ups, weighted dips, push presses and jerks. And I can assure you that from a fighter's perspective (irrespective of the discipline; grappling, striking or both) those two last quick lifts are at least as important as the snatches and power cleans we also did.

Horses for courses I guess.

And I'm sure in your experience that is completely true.

My background is a bit different, though: I've been practicing martials arts for a little more than forty years, most of them at a pretty decent level. I'm no pro-fighter in any way, but I have trained, sparred and been repeatedly beaten by a quite a few of them.

During that time, most of the pressing we did was push ups, weighted dips, push presses and jerks. And I can assure you that from a fighter's perspective (irrespective of the discipline; grappling, striking or both) those two last quick lifts are at least as important as the snatches and power cleans we also did.

Horses for courses I guess.

Indeed, fighters have their own strength training traditions which aren't seen much in collegiate sports, and probably as a result, are understudied, academically, for this reason.

It's pretty easy to do S&C studies on collegiate sports because they have a giant pool NCAA test subjects they can use for free, and grad students who need to do a study to write a thesis.

I think power clean could be useful for endurance runners, but I think that doing some swings and perhaps get ups/push press/hanging knee raises could be all that endurance runners need for weight training...

I have actually noticed that endurance runners have no clue what they should do. Instead they do stupid stuff like 100 rep sets with the machines.. i'm pretty sure that they get all muscle endurance they need from running 150km per week. :)

I think power clean could be useful for endurance runners, but I think that doing some swings and perhaps get ups/push press/hanging knee raises could be all that endurance runners need for weight training...

I have actually noticed that endurance runners have no clue what they should do. Instead they do stupid stuff like 100 rep sets with the machines.. i'm pretty sure that they get all muscle endurance they need from running 150km per week. :)

How are we defining useful?

Making them faster?

One of the challenges of sports and conditioning is measuring outcomes.

A lot of strength activities could be useful or healthy, but, ultimately, unless you can show reduced injury rates (really hard to test and prove) or increased competitive results (faster, higher, farther), it's hard to prove.

Without proof, it's just holistic supposition.

Last edited:
How are you defining useful?

Making them faster?

One of the challenges of sports and conditioning is measuring outcomes.

A lot of strength activities could be useful or healthy, but, ultimately, unless you can show reduced injury rates (really hard to test and prove) or increased competitive results (faster, higher, farther), it's hard to prove.

Without proof, it's just holistic supposition.
Well. I believe that stronger glutes, hams and quads may help with running, but like you said, it's basically just what I believe. :)

Which is better?
As a lot of people here have already stated, it really depends on a lot of things.

But if you know how to clean, and can use it without hurting yourself... then 100% the power clean... It's an amazing explosive strength builder.
When I was just starting out discus throwing... my coach wasn't a real believer in deadlifts.. but he was in Olympic lifts like the snatch and clean... So the first type of strength training I ever did was snatching and cleaning.. they build my power and explosive strength up real nicely and the first time I tried to deadlift I deadlifted 200 kg easily .... okay I'm getting a bit off-topic again.

Power cleaning is better for explosive strength and speed... deadlifts are better for overall posterior chain training and strength... BOTH ARE GREAT in their own ways.

But you shouldn't ask which one is better, rather you should ask yourself how you could incorporate both of these amazing exercises into your training routine!

Seems I read somewhere that a pretty successful boxing coach got good results with swings and get ups, but I can't quite put my finger on where I read that...

Seems I read somewhere that a pretty successful boxing coach got good results with swings and get ups, but I can't quite put my finger on where I read that...
Its in simple and sinister..

Q and D was also used for a pro boxer...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom