all posts post new thread

Barbell Power cleans vs Oly cleans and knee health

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
Nearing end of 40 day ES cycle. Newbie to barbell (formerly kettlebell ballistics and only grinds ever were TGU's). So likely low hanging fruit but have gained 5 lbs on my body and from looks and pinch test I'd say nearly all muscle. Some nice strength gains.

One of my lifts for this cycle has been clean and press doing a power clean every rep. Tried a few days of Oly c&p and go concerned about long term knee health of doing what amounts to ballistic eccentric phase squats. But I know there are also benefits to be gained vs power squats.

I'd love any experience, research notes, random opinions as to long term effects on knee health from dropping to bottom like that.

Find an experienced coach in your area. There's a big difference between the two lifts. Power cleans are challenging, full squat cleans are something else entirely. Depending on your age and injury history you may not want to do them at all.

Thanks. I feel pretty confident doing both except for hitting the rack properly at the top but that's coming along. I do have a bit of arthritis in one knee that gets pissed off and talks to me if alignment isn't perfect so yeah, maybe sticking w/ power cleans is the best call. That was my first impulse but figured I'd ask. Not much in the way of coaches since I live in a rural town of a couple thousand people pretty far from anything else. Farms and a coal mine....

I’d stick with the PC unless your goal is to work on full Oly lifts. If you want to work on the squat pattern, add in the FSQ separately.CcP+FSQ is pretty awesome sauce.

i am a huge fan of cleaning the bar for barbell presses or push presses. The weight will usually be pretty light for a PC/Oly Clean and you just get in the movement practice. To be honest I don't remember any knee issues that arose from doing this.

Just replied you on DJ-forum, but here we go again for this gang:

Power Clean creates more stress onto knee joint than full squat olympic clean. That is because the receiving/locking phase of pwr cln is shorter thus the barbell kinetic energy needs to be absorbed in much more shorter time frame.

As contradictory it may sound, the full squat clean is safer for the knee joint. In case a weightlifter has a knee problem, the first thing to avoid is power movements cln or anatch.

Taranenko74, thanks! Now that you mention that I remember seeing research that greatest shearing force on knee happens as you approach 90 degree bend and drops off rather quickly as you go past parallel. Counterintuitive but can't argue with the facts. My main concern has been with my tendency to go a bit valgus under load, esp on the problematic knee. If I am going slowly, as in a controlled squat, I can keep from doing that. Was worried about just diving down and landing with my knee "tucked in". I'd be paying for that for awhile I suspect. My last adventure along those lines was couple years ago riding a kick scooter around town. Took my knee many weeks to calm down though since I went a couple miles it was likely hundreds of cockeyed reps. Maybe I'll try a few sets with very light load and see how that goes, then build up slowly to make sure I've got the control.

Vegedlr- exactly what I've been doing! C&P for one movement, and then for this round, one clean to get the bar up and 5 FSQ's. At some point I suspect the weight I can clean won't be enough to cover what I can do squatting but ya never know with my little stick legs.

Power Clean creates more stress onto knee joint than full squat olympic clean. That is because the receiving/locking phase of pwr cln is shorter thus the barbell kinetic energy needs to be absorbed in much more shorter time frame.

Lack of Knowledge and Experience

You have little knowledge and experience on this subject.

A Power Clean ONLY produces "More (knee) stress" if it is being preformed incorrectly.

Let break it down.

A "Descending Strength Curve Movement"

A Power Clean is an "Descending Strength Curve Movement"; actually in this case a "Descending Power Curve Movement".

A "Descending Strength/Power Curve Movements" means as you near the completion of a movement, Limit Strength and Power Decrease; the bar weight speed decreases the closer you pull weight/bar.

Side Note: Compound "Pulling Exercises" almost always are "Descending Strength Curve Movements"; Bent Over Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Olympic Pulls, etc.

What The Means With Power Cleans

Research shows the greatest amount of Power Output is produced in the Second Pull, around the knees.

However, the higher the bar is pulled, the slower the bar moves, less Power is produced.

Thus, in the "Catch Phase" of a Power Clean the bar is essentially floating; not going up or down.

The "Catch Phase" of the Power Clean is traditionally at the apex (top) of the movement.

That means very little, "Eccentric Impact Force" occurs in the "Catch Phase" of a Power Clean or Power Snatch; very little "Stress" to the knees, if any at all.

Box Jump Impact Force Analogy

The "Catch Phase" of a Power Clean is similar to jumping up on, let's say an 18 inch box. Let's say you clear the box height with a 20 inch jump, landing on the box.

That means you end up with 2 inches of "Eccentric Impact Force" to deal with, which means there is virtually NO "Impact Force" upon landing.

An incredible amount of "Eccentric Impact Force" is produced if you jump off a 20 inch box, landing on the floor.

Running Impact Force

Research has demonstrated that running (dependent on Speed and Body Weight) produces "Eccentric Impact Forces" of 3 - 5 time your body weight. Walking produces "Eccentric Impact Forces" of about 1.5 time you body weight.

200 lb Athlete Example

That means a 200 lb athlete running will encounter between 600 to 1,000 lbs of "Eccentric Impact Force" with each foot strike on the ground or 300 lbs walking.

That is an Enormous amount of "Eccentric Impact Force" that you knees, back encounters over let's say a mile.

As contradictory it may sound, the full squat clean is safer for the knee joint. In case a weightlifter has a knee problem, the first thing to avoid is power movements cln or anatch.

Shear Force

Research show that Full Squats as well as individual whose shins are driven forward toward their toes, produce an incredible amount of Shear Force (knee stress); it has to do with the Torque of the movement dramatically magnifying weight of the bar.

Research has demonstrated that Powerlifter's who Squat with their shins perpendicular to the floor, at a 90 degree angle, produce little stress on the knees; the stress is shifted to the hips.

Contradictory?

It beyond contradictory; it's Absurd.

Kenny Croxdale

.........I'd love any experience, research notes, random opinions as to long term effects knee health from dropping to bottom like that.

Congrats on the gains! For what it's worth, my 64 year old knees seem to be much happier when squatting with sleeves. Have you considered them?
They won't fix bad form, but they do add some compression to help keep the knee joint warm.

Just sharing some ideas ...

Carl in Dover

Thus, in the "Catch Phase" of a Power Clean the bar is essentially floating; not going up or down.
The "Catch Phase" of the Power Clean is traditionally at the apex (top) of the movement.
This makes total sense and feels right. This morning I did a bunch of full squat cleans w/ PVC pipe and it felt ok, then did my 2 sets of C&P at 20 lbs less than my current working weight. Still felt fine but definitely, sort of a ballistic catch at the bottom vs catching it on the float w/ power clean. Safety first so case closed. Power cleans it is. I'd love to be fully mobile in my dotage so the nurses will have to chase me when I wander from "the facility". HAH!

Kenny, forgot to mention above, I always very much appreciate your depth analysis of things. Lucid and very useful! Thanks again for all that.

Carl, thank you but so far I seem to be doing pretty well. Have been squatting to just barely past parallel no problem. I train in my apartment which due to my cold blooded body many would think overheated. About right for me though and staying warm not an issue. I do wear sleeves but they are shin protection. Even though my "new and improved" stance for cleans and DL's has my shins on the smooth part of the bar, first few days I was doing this I cheese grated some nice hunks of meat. So for safety insurance I got neoprene shin guards and they are super comfy and not in the way at all.

Vegedlr- exactly what I've been doing! C&P for one movement, and then for this round, one clean to get the bar up and 5 FSQ's. At some point I suspect the weight I can clean won't be enough to cover what I can do squatting but ya never know with my little stick legs.
Then just keep on keeping on!

My favorite Dan John quote, “It worked so well that I stopped doing it.”

Last edited:
Indeed.

My favorite Dan John quote, “It worked so well I that I stopped doing it.”
Ain't it the truth! I just found this in another venue much to my chagrin. Could have saved myself a ton of grief and discomfort. Oh well.... Dan is brilliant no doubt about that!

Lack of Knowledge and Experience

You have little knowledge and experience on this subject.

A Power Clean ONLY produces "More (knee) stress" if it is being preformed incorrectly.

Let break it down.

A "Descending Strength Curve Movement"

A Power Clean is an "Descending Strength Curve Movement"; actually in this case a "Descending Power Curve Movement".

A "Descending Strength/Power Curve Movements" means as you near the completion of a movement, Limit Strength and Power Decrease; the bar weight speed decreases the closer you pull weight/bar.

Side Note: Compound "Pulling Exercises" almost always are "Descending Strength Curve Movements"; Bent Over Rows, Lat Pulldowns, Olympic Pulls, etc.

What The Means With Power Cleans

Research shows the greatest amount of Power Output is produced in the Second Pull, around the knees.

However, the higher the bar is pulled, the slower the bar moves, less Power is produced.

That means very little, "Eccentric Impact Force" occurs in the "Catch Phase" of a Power Clean or Power Snatch; very little "Stress" to the knees, if any at all.

Box Jump Impact Force Analogy

The "Catch Phase" of a Power Clean is similar to jumping up on, let's say an 18 inch box. Let's say you clear the box height with a 20 inch jump, landing on the box.

That means you end up with 2 inches of "Eccentric Impact Force" to deal with, which means there is virtually NO "Impact Force" upon landing.

An incredible amount of "Eccentric Impact Force" is produced if you jump off a 20 inch box, landing on the floor.

Running Impact Force

Research has demonstrated that running (dependent on Speed and Body Weight) produces "Eccentric Impact Forces" of 3 - 5 time your body weight. Walking produces "Eccentric Impact Forces" of about 1.5 time you body weight.

200 lb Athlete Example

That means a 200 lb athlete running will encounter between 600 to 1,000 lbs of "Eccentric Impact Force" with each foot strike on the ground or 300 lbs walking.

That is an Enormous amount of "Eccentric Impact Force" that you knees, back encounters over let's say a mile.

Shear Force

Research show that Full Squats as well as individual whose shins are driven forward toward their toes, produce an incredible amount of Shear Force (knee stress); it has to do with the Torque of the movement dramatically magnifying weight of the bar.

Research has demonstrated that Powerlifter's who Squat with their shins perpendicular to the floor, at a 90 degree angle, produce little stress on the knees; the stress is shifted to the hips.

Contradictory?

It beyond contradictory; it's Absurd.

Kenny Croxdale

Thanks for your analysis, Sir! However, the max power output during 2nd pull and the support reaction force during receiving are a different thing. If you have access to load sensor platform, it's easy to check by performing the lifts and comparing the forces.

For example:

Lifter 65 kg, barbell 45 kg, total 110 kg; power snatch on load sensor platform:
- max reaction force 2nd pull 2,15 kN (220 kg, appx 200 % deadweight)
- max reaction force receiving 4,94 kN (504 kg, appx 460 % dw)

The receiving support force always is much more greater than pulling support force, because of shorter time frame and impulse of receiving/catch. Power movements => shorter time => greater force; full squat movement => longer time => less stress onto ligaments. It's the reaction force body needs to absorb, see analogy like support leg of javelin thrower

Box jump analogy: power lift = jump down with knees fixed on certain angle; full squat lift= jump down and ride down softly... feel the difference.

Best,
-T

For example:

Lifter 65 kg, barbell 45 kg, total 110 kg; power snatch on load sensor platform:
- max reaction force 2nd pull 2,15 kN (220 kg, appx 200 % deadweight)
- max reaction force receiving 4,94 kN (504 kg, appx 460 % dw)

The receiving support force always is much more greater than pulling support force, because of shorter time frame and impulse of receiving/catch. Power movements => shorter time => greater force; full squat movement => longer time => less stress onto ligaments. It's the reaction force body needs to absorb, see analogy like support leg of javelin thrower
I have no data and little experience but this makes sense to me-->The pull phase happens with knees already loaded and set. The catch/receiving phase begins at unloaded transition point where the knees are changing from flexion to extension so essentially relaxed for a moment. A huge difference in risk. Also for fair comparison, you need to compare the receiving force of the two different types of cleans, not the reaction and receiving of the same type clean. Hard for me to believe that 460% dw figure if timing of catch is right; seems it should be not much more than dw since bar is basically floating (like top of kb swing) so essentially weightless and you come up from under to meet it before it accelerates (much)

the max power output during 2nd pull and the support reaction force during receiving are a different thing.

Exactly My Point

The amount of force generated for Pulls is completely different from the force in receiving the bar in a Power Clean.

Research Data On Olympic Power Output Pulls

During Entire Snatch or Clean Pull Movements:
34.3 w/kg Men
21.8 w/kg Women

Second Pulls:
52.6 w/kg Men
39.2 w/kg Women

Squat and Deadlift:
12 w/kg Men

For female powerlifters, “estimates indicate that the corresponding values
for women are 60-70% as great”.

With this basic breakdown in mind, the power output comparisons of a
100-kilo male lifter in the clean, second pull and deadlift would be as follows.

Clean————-3430 watts
Second Pull—-5260 watts
Deadlift———-1200 watts

Obviously, there is a huge difference in power outputs. The power output of clean pulls is 2.85 time greater than a deadlift. Second pulls are even higher with power outputs 4.38 times larger than deadlifts. Garhammer’s research showed that even when dropping the training poundage down to lower percentages for Olympic pulls and deadlifts, outputs for Olympic pulls were still almost twice as great.

Source: The No Deadlift Program to Improve Your Deadlift
[The No Deadlift Program to Improve Your Deadlift]

“A Review of Power Output Studies of Olympic and Powerlifting: Methodology, Performance, Prediction and Evaluation Test”. Dr John Garhammer, National Strength and Conditioning Research Journal

Top Part of The Olympic Power Clean

The Second Pull is where the greatest amount of Power is displayed.

However, in a heavy Power Clean, bar Power Output and Velocity dramatically drop just above the waste. At some point, a Heavy Power Clean turns into a fairly Heavy Olympic High Pull. That due to the fact that the bar stops ascending.

That leave you with...

Two Options

1) Drop into Partial Squat to catch the bar.

2) Note that Set in your Training Log as a Olympic High Pull; due to the fact you didn't Power Clean it.

The receiving support force always is much more greater than pulling...

This takes up back to your...

Force = Mass X Acceleration

The receiving force is no where near the amount of force generated in the Second Pull.

To reiterate, that due to the decrease the Power Output and Velocity of the bar in top part of a Heavy Power Clean. At the apex of the Power Clean, the bar will stall; that's where you want to catch it.

If you allow the bar drop, then catch it, the Velocity of the bar is going to magnify the true weight on the bar.

As someone once said, "Jumping out of a 5 story building won't kill you. It's the sudden stop (Impact Force) that you need to worry about.

Take Home Message

Catching the Power Clean at the Apex of the Pull produces little stress on the knees; providing you have preformed the movement correctly.

Anyone who's preforming Power Cleans and having knee problem is doing something wrong or has some knee issues.

Show Me The Bodies

Power Cleans are a staple movement for the majority of athletes in High Schools, Universities, Professional Sports, etc.

If Power Cleans were as destructive as you have stated, there'd be, metaphorically speaking, a "Grave Yard" full of people. It would be constantly reported in research journals; very easy to find.

The Clean High Pull Solution

For anyone who for any reason believe the Power Clean Catch stresses and harm the knees, the simple solution it it to simply perform the Clean High Pulls and avoid the Clean.

This is where that greatest Power Output is achieved and developed. The movement is simpler and easier to learn and preform.

The Clean High Pull | T Nation

1) The athlete doesn't have to catch the bar.

2) Use heavier loads. This is especially true for athletes with technique issues in the catch phase where a lighter than optimal load must be used...

3) This heavy load, combined with the fast bar velocity seen in this movement, is responsible for the high power outputs that occur when performing this exercise (an average of 52 watts per kilogram for male athletes).

My work is done on this topic.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
As someone once said, "Jumping out of a 5 story building won't kill you. It's the sudden stop (Impact Force) that you need to worry about.

Take Home Message

Catching the Power Clean at the Apex of the Pull produces little stress on the knees; providing you have preformed the movement correctly.

Anyone who's preforming Power Cleans and having knee problem is doing something wrong or has some knee issues.
We could discount my experience because it is so limited but I have worked both power and olympic cleans and this totally matches my experience. Same really w/ kettlebell clean and snatch. If done properly, it almost feels like magic, the kb suddenly being held in rack or locked out. If timing slightly off there can be a very significant jolt, even with very light weight.

Nearing end of 40 day ES cycle. Newbie to barbell (formerly kettlebell ballistics and only grinds ever were TGU's). So likely low hanging fruit but have gained 5 lbs on my body and from looks and pinch test I'd say nearly all muscle. Some nice strength gains.

One of my lifts for this cycle has been clean and press doing a power clean every rep. Tried a few days of Oly c&p and go concerned about long term knee health of doing what amounts to ballistic eccentric phase squats. But I know there are also benefits to be gained vs power squats.

I'd love any experience, research notes, random opinions as to long term effects on knee health from dropping to bottom like that.

If you can front squat the weight in question with good form, multi reps, all without issue, I wouldn't worry about it.

And if you can't front squat the weight with good form, multi reps, etc, why are you full cleaning it? The only reason to full clean something is that it's too heavy to clean using the power position and you have to thus get lower to rack it. Otherwise you're just wasting energy going up and down for no reason, energy that could be better re-directed to the jerk.

Exceptions for warm-ups and GTG drills.

Full disclosure:

I have competed in over 45 Olympic lifting, currently prepping to compete again in over 50 bracket. My garage gym has no rack, so all my squats and presses are cleaned from the floor (either power or full clean).

And, yes, knee sleeves are nice. I wear them on barbell days. I've had good results with both Rehband and Eleiko sleeves.

And as far as weights crashing on you:

Yeah, sometimes the timing isn't perfect and you don't get the perfect 'float' where you slide in right under the bar at its apex, but instead you overpull / get too far under and you get a 'hard rack'.

I've never noticed this to be particularly hard on the knees, and most lifters practice absorbing heavy re-racks during things like push presses.

Clavicles and chest, on the other hand....oh yeah....bruises can happen for sure.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom