all posts post new thread

Barbell Power Curl

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
I have been reading Dan John's blog lately. It is full of many training gems. I have seen him mentioned on this esteemed forum with great respect many times, and had never read his stuff before.

I found reference to the Power Curl, and had never heard of it, so I did some research. It is a Power Clean with a supinated grip on the barbell. It is regularly practiced by Highland Games competitors, and throwing sports athletes. He proposes it develops power and strength, and strengthens the bicep tendon against injury. Also, the Power Curl is a good alternative to the Power Clean and Snatch because it requires less skill, and flexibility.

I have been practicing the Power Curl, and I like it a lot. I have added in prior to Zercher Squats, and on my Strongman Day.

Anyone else try the Power Curl, and like the lift as much as me?

I've seen it mentioned in Dan John's books but never really tried it. In your experience, what are the differences between the power curl and a barbell clean, double kettlebell cleans or swings? I know Dan John suggested kettlebell cleans as a bicep builder:

"I hate being any kind of anatomy geek, but I need to add one thing: the Kettlebell Clean might be the best “gun,” or bicep, exercise made. Now, every school kid knows how to “make a muscle” showing off the bicep and we soon learn that the twisting into the “guns” position is also a big key. The third function tips us off to why the Kettlebell Clean is superior for rapid gun advancement:

“The biceps brachii assists in forward flexion of the shoulder joint (bringing the arm forward and upwards). The short head of the biceps brachii also assists with horizontal adduction (bringing the arm across the body) when the arm is internally (or medially) rotated. Finally, the long head of the biceps brachii, due to its attachment to the scapula (or shoulder blade), assists with stabilization of the shoulder joint when a heavy weight is carried in the arm.”

The RKC Breakfast Crew

@RobbieF Great article. Thank you.

For a kettlebell practitioner the power curl is a superior barbell movement to the clean or snatch. I had not connected the kettlebell clean to the power curl until I read the Dan John article you posted, but the carryover is obvious after training both for a few weeks.

-straight wrists
-upper arms connected to body
-less lean back in the pull

I would propose muscle curl, where there I no double knee bend, flat footed, and a tall, rigid receiving position, would transfer to the kettlebell clean better. Also, a tall curl, which is the same pull, and receiving positions as the muscle version, but the bar does not contact the body, requiring more upper body, or 3rd pull.

Also, note trained along with the Zercher squat has been a powerful combination.

Last edited:
@andrewswanson If you have ever practiced the Olympic Lifts its a fun, and valuable exercise. I have found many videos of people butchering the Power Curl, it took a lot of digging to find the above video.

Classic Olympic Weightlifting technique is very misunderstood by many. Go to Olympic Weightlifting: Catalyst Athletics and Weightlifting The Hard Way - Weightlifting Academy
Anyone who questions me on my Weighlifting I sent them to these fantastic resources. Coaching is invaluable, but if you have a base of strength, are functional, relatively flexible, and athletic you can teach yourself.

I power curled 225x6x1 OTM, and worked up to 295x3x5 pause rep Zercher Squats yesterday. I really like this exercise, how many people can say they barbell curl four plates. My kettlebell clean is a lot stronger, and smoother , and my wrists are stronger also.

I would call that a Cheat Curl, not a Power Curl. There is no Triple Extension, Upward Shrug, or Catch. It's just a heavy bicep exercise.

I've been doing these a lot lately. Slowly pushing the weight up, 175 is the highest I've gone so far. Anyone else?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom