all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Power Rack/Cage for barbell work on Gravel?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
Thinking about investing in a rack/cage to do some barbell work but the only place I could put it would be inside of my metal garage (it’s like a carport but with a super sturdy metal frame, man door, garage door/etc….
The problem is that it’s medium sized gravel inside. Is there anything I could possibly do aside from pouring a concrete in there that would enable me to bench/squat/deadlift? I thought about digging out the gravel a little and building a bigger lifting platform. I’m just not super sure about whether it will shift or not. If I dug down enough and hit dirt(I haven’t actually checked yet) would it be possible to just section off an area somehow and build a platform?
Any ideas are welcome. Definitely trying to keep it as low budget as possible.

A platform is a good idea in any case.

An often recommended idea I originally heard from Marty Gallagher is to put car tires as shock absorbers under plywood and rubber mats. Should be something you can do yourself.

Is water seepage a concern?

my first thought would be to put together a lifting platform and bolt a rack on top. It should be plenty stable on gravel. But if it regularly gets wet then rot becomes an issue. In that case I’d add some sacrificial supports on the bottom that you just replace as needed.

Although lumber prices may be prohibitive.
Good point about water seepage. I’m not actually sure. I know when it rains it’s never wet inside but below the gravel I really have no idea. I’ll have to check it out after it rains (80% chance today).

A platform is a good idea in any case.

An often recommended idea I originally heard from Marty Gallagher is to put car tires as shock absorbers under plywood and rubber mats. Should be something you can do yourself.
Good idea. Sort of would tie into what @silveraw said about water getting in there. Seems like tires could kind of mitigate that problem.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom