all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Power/speed sports examples

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Paotle

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everyone,
I'm a former sprinter (11.7 at 16) and I cannot run anymore without pain (chronic Achilles tendinopathy since 17, one partial rupture 5 years ago). But I would like to compete (for motivation) in a speed sport but I don't know which who doesn't overuse the Achilles tendon (so not (track) sprinting, neither football).
I don't speak about strength sport but more power/speed. I'm not interested in throwing (javeline, discus...), neither track cycling, skating or swimming. Olympic lifting would be nice, but I don't have any club near my place.
Do you have an idea for other "anaerobic sports"?

Best,

Last edited:
Power sports that don't require lots of start/stop will be tough, you're basically limited to standing in place. Golf?

Hello,

Some sort of kb sport ?

Kind regards,

Pet'
Thanks for your suggestion. I thought about KB sport, too. But the intensity and the duration of the effort is aerobic and highly lactic. It has nothing to do with alactic power sports (like oly lifting, 100m-200m sprinting). It isn't appropriate to a fast twitch guy or speed athlete.

Last edited:
Power sports that don't require lots of start/stop will be tough, you're basically limited to standing in place. Golf?
Thanks for your answer. Sure, I know my question is tricky. Power/speed sport without large contribution of Achilles is difficult to find (swimming or track cycling would be ok). Golf isn't really a sport in my eyes.

Compete in the TSC?

You would need an affiliated gym but you can train for it without a gym.

Fix your issue, if you can.

I'm 57. No knees. Blew up my Achilles, partial tear, 9 months of zero sport 10+ years ago.
My competitive sport now is sprinting.

Currently not at present, given circumstances. Possibly compete in summer but not sure yet. Haven't started training yet or made any decision.

Never say never.

I was a good sprinter as a kid and in sporting pastimes throughout life always had more an edge towards explosive sport. Stopped football (soccer) due to mounting injuries and ran as an outlet. Switched back from distance to sprinting.

I compete in master athletics and handicapped sprint events.

I train and view what I do as a generalist. My times have crept up, technique has improved, I've got faster, 90 percentile for my age group.

Never say never.

Rather than look for alternatives, see if you can address the problem that prevents you from doing what you want to do.

Obviously depends on the issue.....have you thought about a FMS movement screen, a detailed view of your movement? There maybe a 'simple' fix.
Worth exploring.

You are right, most sport will involve your Achilles heel, as the eponymous crocked athlete.

Don't let that put the brakes on though!
That's why people play golf ??

Thanks @ali.
TSC is a good idea! Do you know some similar challenges/competitions?

My Achilles problem exist since 20 years. Everytime I began to run "explosively" or with tension on the Achilles, they hurt (mostly afterwards). Track sprints, uphill (easy) running, tennis...
Biking, swimming, rucking, alpinism (except long very steep climbs who need constant tension on the Achilles) are ok.
Best,

I love sprinting and fell in love with heavy kettlebell swings. I use a 40 kg and do repeats with it (it works about about 5 a minute)- treat them like a hill sprint! I know it’s not a sport but you will love it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom