all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Power swings in Easy strength

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jorg79

Level 3 Valued Member
I've started a 40-day round of Easy Strength, with a daily routine as follows:

Warm-up: goblet squats
Swings
kb military press
no formal upper pull movement. I just hold some progressions to (hopefully and eventually) reach the front lever
DL
Ab wheel/leg raises
Loaded carry: farmers' walk/suitcase carry etc

I'm thinking of using the swings as a power element in the program - sets of 5 of 2H swings with a heavy bell, pretty much the kind of swings I did in my Q&D incursion. I'd like to hear your advice about:

1-) How many sets of 5 of 2H swings with a heavy bell each day?
2-) On how many days a week would you have those swings? (on days without those swings, I'd do loaded carries)

It matters. What's the ratio between your swing days and your loaded carry days? How much heavier are your heavy swings compared to your light swings? If you are going to perform swings in sets of 5 reps, then I'd suggest you to do at least 8-10 sets in a workout, with at least 150 swings weekly and increase over time. So do them in 3-4 times per week? But this is just my rough estimate.

@Jorg79 My understanding of Easy Strength is that you do the exact same workout for the 40 days. I think Dan John says 75 - 250 swings.

That being said I like the look of the workout as you lay it out.

1-) How many sets of 5 of 2H swings with a heavy bell each day?
It looks to me from my reading that this isn't a fixed value, and you should be free to go by feel.

Whatever you can handle for a set of 20 to 50 reps and you decide how to wave that load. Maybe keep the ∆20 rule in your back pocket.
2-) On how many days a week would you have those swings? (on days without those swings, I'd do loaded carries)
It looks like the swings are repeated everyday throughout the 40 day schedule.

@Jorg79 My understanding of Easy Strength is that you do the exact same workout for the 40 days. I think Dan John says 75 - 250 swings.

That being said I like the look of the workout as you lay it out.
Yes, ES is the same workout everyday (EES does have some rep variations), with some qualifications. For instance, if one does the loaded carries, then the load, the distance and the type of carry should be different on every workout (because it becomes easy too fast if unchanged).

When it comes to swings, people's experience throughout the year have suggested that it's not necessary as many reps as set in the original. Currently, he has narrowed them down to 20-50:

1648161560740.png

...and it's that fact that reps were on that range that gave me the idea of performing them at the Q&D explosive power %.

It matters. What's the ratio between your swing days and your loaded carry days? How much heavier are your heavy swings compared to your light swings? If you are going to perform swings in sets of 5 reps, then I'd suggest you to do at least 8-10 sets in a workout, with at least 150 swings weekly and increase over time. So do them in 3-4 times per week? But this is just my rough estimate.
8 sets seems about right for a session from what my experience in this first week in the program. But my discretion is not very good when it comes to these things and, for the most part of my life, I've been an overtrained fool. Let's see if recovery is still good during the second week.

Last edited:
It looks like the swings are repeated everyday throughout the 40 day schedule.
Thanks for the input. I'll keep them at every session. Just not sure if it's best to train power 3 days a week (higher number of sets) + easier swings the other days, or train power everyday (lower number of sets). If you have an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom