all posts post new thread

Barbell Power to the People 3x a week?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My new program is called Tactical Power To The Westside. I'm doing version 5.3.1. The frequency, sets, reps, weight, exercises and rest periods are variable but I always wear shorts. I'm getting mixed results though

My new program is called Tactical Power To The Westside. I'm doing version 5.3.1. The frequency, sets, reps, weight, exercises and rest periods are variable but I always wear shorts. I'm getting mixed results though

No, version 5.3.0 was with shorts.

Version 5.3.1 must be done naked, so that's your problem right there.

Stick to the program as written.

I read this in another thread "- Bench twice a week, deadlift once a week (Pavel's suggestion)" and it confused me even further...

?

I think you are referring to the Bear. If you are going to do up to 20 back off sets of deadlifts, you aren’t going to do them very often.

As mentioned above, the “PTTP 2.0” is basically PTTP 2-3x a week, with sets of 5,3,2 and 2 to 3 back off sets. Hence Sean dubbed it the Cub.

I’m currently doing it for deadlifts. 5x a week doesn’t work for me.

So if I understand correctly I can do Press/DL 3x a week 5/3/2 with couple back off sets as a base workout, and add "bear" sets: once a week for DL, and couple times a week for presses?

So if I understand correctly I can do Press/DL 3x a week 5/3/2 with couple back off sets as a base workout, and add "bear" sets: once a week for DL, and couple times a week for presses?

No. That’s not exactly the program I was referring to. If you are going to lift 3 times a week, then the couple of back off sets (2 or 3) are enough. There’s no one day that you do additional backoff sets.

Doing more backoff sets (as prescribed in The Bear - up to 20) would likely hinder your recovery.

If you are going to the Bear, you only do deadlifts once a week. (However, the book is vague on the Bear frequency. But Pavel has apparently told folks to deadlift once a week.)

If you are detrained after a year away from the barbell. Three days a week will probably be enough for a cycle or two.

I liked adding the extra 80% backoff set for pressing volume. Load and go with short rest.

Just do 5-3-2 with the same load and then simply do another three sets at 90%, 80% and 70% of the weight you used in your previous sets.

Do the above three times a week.

It's really that simple. You just have to put in the work now.

So, go do the work.

Ok, got it. Thank you all! I've done my first session yesterday with just OHP and DL. Isn't it a struggle to keep the workout down to just 2 lifts? :)

I went with 5/3/2 scheme for the main sets and did 6 backoff sets for OHP and 4 for DL at 80% of the working weight and about 30 seconds rest in between. I stopped when I felt like I am not going to get a complete set of 5 with good form. It was hard to contain myself from doing only 2-3 backoff sets :) I am sure I will have to drop to 2-3 sets when the weight gets a bit heavier.

I did feel like I can do the whole thing again. Feeling good today as well.

It seems like PTTP is really a mind game. A completely different approach to strength training that I am used to, and had no success with. Looking forward to the next workout!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom