all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

I've been gone for a bit. Got a nasty cold and decided to take a week off. Decided to scrap my old program. It was a bit too randomized. Still fighting this illness but it's improved with anti-biotics. I usually don't go to the doctor when I have a cold, but it's been 3 weeks now of varying symptoms. As such, I'm feeling better. I decided to return to a familiar template. This past week, I've been somewhat in gym limbo as my current gym is closing soon and I've been seeking a new adequate place to train. So far, it's all commercial gyms nearby, so I'll have to pick my poison, as I find it difficult to train in these places for various reasons. I've found though, I can manage two of the four weekly workouts at home, as long as the weather allows. I am on the 5/3/1 for hardgainers template. Here's the past week of my training.

Week 1 Day 1
Squat TM-265 lbs

Warmup
Squat
135 x 5, 170 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 12 (PR Set)
170 x 20 (Widowmaker Set)

3 rounds
Pushups-15,15,10,10 (50)
Inverted Rows-15,15,10,10 (50)
Single Leg RDL -15,15,10,10 (50) 25 lbs per hand

Squats killed today. I cramped badly after first set. I haven't done high rep squats in some time. Had to wait a bit before the 20 rep set, which earns it's name. I was pretty toast. Assistance was done with ease however. Did minimum reps the first week. Will occasionally bump up the volume but the focus is the main lifts. I'll let the assistance happen organically, as the upper body is hit 4 times a week, and bench day follows squat day. I don't want sore pecs before heavy benching, which I was I chose the pushups for day 1. My thighs, glutes and hamstrings were all sore up until moments before deadlifts, 3 days later.

Last edited:
Day 2 Bench Press
TM-215

Bench Press
Bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 165 x 5
185 x 5 x 5

Incline Press- 45 lbs. x 5 sets of 10
Dumbbell Row on incline- 45 lbs x 5 x 10

Bench felt hard today for some reason. I suppose I haven't specifically practiced the movement for some time. I also didn't sleep well the night before, due to incredible soreness from squats. Illness, exhaustion, lack of appetite and I practiced this in a new gym I was trying out, 24 Hour Fitness. The benches are not as high quality as my old gym. The bench seems narrow, short and slippery. The rack wasn't adjustable etc.. I guess I got spoiled training in a gym like my old one. Alas, I didn't dig my experience there. I have until February 10th to relocate my training.

Day 3
Deadlift
TM- 355

Sumo Deadlift
135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5, 265 x 5, 300 x 7 (PR Set)
225 x 5 x 5

Dips Bw- 5 x 10
R.E.S.S BW- 5 x10
Curls 25 lbs- 15,15, 10,10

Went easy on the Deads. Still fighting the cold, so I figured this lift would be one to put me back in the hole if I overdid it. Plus, I wasn't entirely recovered from my Monday squat session. Did this session at home. The split squats certainly helped my leg recovery I feel. Just did bodyweight. I walked to the nearby park to do the dips and supersetted them with the squats. Came back home and did the curls.

Day 4
Press
TM-135

Press
Bar x 5, 65 x 5, 85 x 5, 100 x 5, 115 x 5
85 lbs x 10 sets of 5

Chinups- 10 sets of 5

Flat K-Bell Press
53 lbs x 5 x 10

Did the chins before every set of Pressees so I finished them about halfway into the main press sets. High volume of presses, but the 85 lbs is quite light so they all felt strong and solid. I aim to add a chinup set each week, as they weren't incredibly fatiguing. Overall, a good week of training, despite all that's going on. I hope I find a good place to train soon. Luckily, I can perform the press and deadlift workouts at home. If I only had a bench and squat rack, I'd be home free! (y)

Week 2 Day 1

Squat
Bar x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 215 x 5, 240 x 12
185 x 20 (widowmaker set)

Inverted Rows - 15, 15,15 , 10
Pushups - 15, 15 ,15, 10
Single Leg Rdl 15, 15 ,15 ,10 w/ 55 lbs

Squats went up well today. Hit the same number of reps as last week. Went in thinking I'll take my set easy and hit minimum reps. But got to 5 and thought maybe I'll do 8, hit 8 and was like okay 10 should be fine. At ten, figured might as well make it a PR set. It was actually much easier than last week. No cramps! Hit the widowmaker set and was winded, but felt strong. Added an extra 5 reps to the assistance circuit. I'm glad these lifts are easy, as squat day is easily the hardest day of the program. The only tough one are the single leg RDL's, because they take twice as long to hit both legs. My gym is starting to dump equipment, so had to use a barbell because all the dumbbells are gone. Think I may have found a good new gym nearby too.

WARNING: Long personal life story rant to follow.

I know this may not be the place for this, but I feel this blog is one of my only outlets to express where I'm at. So far, this year has been rough for me. Last night, my girlfriend of a year decided to call off our relationship. She has been working overseas and the distance has taken it's toll on our relationship. I did not take it well. We'd been such a strong couple and she'd become such an integral part of my life. I suppose we got too far ahead of ourselves. I didn't sleep a wink last night. After a night of weeping, I woke up in a low stupor of denial. I felt no motivation to go the new gym I had been so excited about. I had planned my training around a trip to visit her in Paris in March and wanted to surprise her with my newfound muscles. I was so sure, we'd make it, I purchased a non refundable ticket. This did not help things. Losing my drive and desire, all I felt I had to look forward to was training, so I decided to go and join the new gym. Naturally, it was a great gym and near the end of my workout, to add to my torment, an ex-girlfriend of mine popped up in the new gym. I was distressed. Our relationship didn't end well, and I was extremely uncomfortable being in her presence. We pretended not to see each other. These turn of events must seem comical. I have not been in great spirits so far this year. My cold still lingers after 3 weeks. I guess if I'm strong enough to handle this, maybe it'll pour out into my training and from there into the other areas of my life. But right now I feel weak. Weak in mind, body and spirit. I know it'll get better in time. I suppose I just have to keep grinding. I hope I get through the muck soon.

Week 2 Day 2

Bench Press
Bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5 155 x 5, 175 x 5
195 x 5 x 5

T-Bar Row
Bar x 10, 45 x 10, 70 x 5 x 10

Inc Dumbbell Press
45 x 10, 10, 50 x 10, 45 x 10, 10

Had trouble with bench, as it's one of those immovable rack heights. My elbows are just barely above 90 when unracking, so I almost have to do a triceps extension to get it out. Had to do one set rest pause doing 4 reps, resting and hitting the last rep because the unrack was so hard. Found unracking with the elbows flared actually really helped and hit the 5 easily. Funny how these little things can alter the workout. Alas, at the end of the workout, I spied a competition style bench in a corner with adjustable rack heights. I may have to familiarize myself with it next training session. Used a T-Bar row this time instead of the usual incline bench rows. This is because my other gym didn't have one. They are pretty similar exercises but the T-Bar row seems easier to set up. My feet slip on the dumbbell incline row and my monkey arms often hit the ground. I also feel, it better targets the upper back, as I have tendency to shrug on the incline bench. I'm trying to hit the mid back with this, and not use my overpowering traps. Volume was same as last week, but I did 1 of the incline sets with 50 lbs. instead of 45. A small progression yet a progression just the same. I'm trying to keep the assistance progressions small.

It's not nice when life takes a wrong turn. Bummer. I don't have anything enlightening to say. Hope the new gym turns out to be a good one. Interesting to see how your new program turns out.

It's all good @Antti. It's not nice but it happens and it's certainly not the first time. The way I figure it is, life always throws us challenges because it wants us to grow, and not just in our biceps. I see strength as not only a means to lift a heavy weight but also the ability of how we compose ourselves in everyday life. I once read a definition of strength that resonated with me from a source that escapes me. The ability to overcome strain. Strain comes in many forms. For some people, it's the strain of financial stress for others health. I am lucky in many ways and remembering this gives me strength. Little things don't become some big, and things once heavy become lighter as we work our way through greater challenges and grow. I get too philosophical sometimes, the burden of an overly analytical mind, I'm afraid.

On a separate note, I really love this 5/3/1 format. It gives me a goal every workout and I'm definitely noticing changes in my appearance, mostly in my shoulders, back and chest. I've gained a single pound since week 1, which I think is good progress. After 12 weeks I think close to 10 lbs is possible which is radical improvement. My lifts, especially my squat, are moving well. I also think my lack of deadlift progress over the last year may be attributed to the fact that the best lifts I've recorded in the past were when I got to train with a deadlift bar that bends when the weights get heavy, or whippy bar. Since starting my blog, all the deadlift bars have been stiff bars, thus a decrease an ability to lift heavier weights. I also like the Training max idea, as it allows the use of "lighter" weights and I don't get beaten up or obsessed with beating 5 RM's all the time. I really enjoy the program so far, and may stick with 5/3/1 for a long time, but possibly change the template once I feel I've put on enough mass.

Last edited:
It's all good @Antti. It's not nice but it happens and it's certainly not the first time. The way I figure it is, life always throws us challenges because it wants us to grow, and not just in our biceps. I see strength as not only a means to lift a heavy weight but also the ability of how we compose ourselves in everyday life. I once read a definition of strength that resonated with me from a source that escapes me. The ability to overcome strain. Strain comes in many forms. For some people, it's the strain of financial stress for others health. I am lucky in many ways and remembering this gives me strength. Little things don't become some big, and things once heavy become lighter as we work our way through greater challenges and grow. I get too philosophical sometimes, the burden of an overly analytical mind, I'm afraid.

On a separate note, I really love this 5/3/1 format. It gives me a goal every workout and I'm definitely noticing changes in my appearance, mostly in my shoulders, back and chest. I've gained a single pound since week 1, which I think is good progress. After 12 weeks I think close to 10 lbs is possible which is radical improvement. My lifts, especially my squat, are moving well. I also think my lack of deadlift progress over the last year may be attributed to the fact that the best lifts I've recorded in the past were when I got to train with a deadlift bar that bends when the weights get heavy, or whippy bar. Since starting my blog, all the deadlift bars have been stiff bars, thus a decrease an ability to lift heavier weights. I also like the Training max idea, as it allows the use of "lighter" weights and I don't get beaten up or obsessed with beating 5 RM's all the time. I really enjoy the program so far, and may stick with 5/3/1 for a long time, but possibly change the template once I feel I've put on enough mass.

That's a good point of view when it comes to the troubles of life. It's important to remember that triceps are the bigger part of big arms than biceps.

I think the goal every workout is a pretty good thing. But it can be a bit stressful as well. It's something I've thought about when it comes to my programming. I don't do a real rep max set as I do two sets at the top weight. I wasn't sure if a single set would be enough, so I do this way. I have been interested in the 5/3/1, but I haven't ever read it, just the free articles by Wendler. I suppose I did use some parts of it as inspiration. The AMRAP sets are becoming more popular as of late between different programs.

I've never understood the idea of a training max. Why not just put in smaller percentages?

That's a good point of view when it comes to the troubles of life. It's important to remember that triceps are the bigger part of big arms than biceps.

I think the goal every workout is a pretty good thing. But it can be a bit stressful as well. It's something I've thought about when it comes to my programming. I don't do a real rep max set as I do two sets at the top weight. I wasn't sure if a single set would be enough, so I do this way. I have been interested in the 5/3/1, but I haven't ever read it, just the free articles by Wendler. I suppose I did use some parts of it as inspiration. The AMRAP sets are becoming more popular as of late between different programs.

I've never understood the idea of a training max. Why not just put in smaller percentages?

Hahaha. I imagine you are humorous in everyday life Antti. It sure can be! However, on the hardgainers template, only the squat and deadlift are RM sets, as the bench nd OH Press are done for volume. And it's really only one set. I find putting my energy into that one set easier, as it's just two really hard sets a week, but also motivating and fun. Setting higher rep PR's seem much less distressful to me for some reason then 5 rep maxes or lower reps. Good question about the TM. It literally is the same thing as a lowered percentage. But he does answer those questions in this article.

5/3/1: How to Build Pure Strength | T Nation

Day 3 Week 2

Sumo Deadlifts
135 x 5, 225 x 5, 245 x 5, 285 x 5, 325 x 12 (P.R. Set)
240 x 5 x 5 (Back off Sets)

5 Rounds
Dips x 10 (50 reps)
D-Bell Curls 25 x 10 (50 reps)
R.E.S.S. BW x 10 (50 reps)

Good deadlift. I think I may have found my groove again. The second to third warmup set jump didn't really make sense, but I already loaded the 45's and just allowed it. The jump was really small then got bigger. P.R. set felt very strong. Maybe could've done a few more but left a little in the tank, plus I was quite winded. I try to move quick between reps so I don't quit out so there's not a lot of break between them. Just let the bar drop and settle then hit again. Left the assistance the same as last week. Didn't up reps or weight . I felt I put a lot in the deadlifts, especially with the 5 x 5 following the P.R. set, that the assistance is almost a cooldown to get a light pump, some easy volume and limber up.

Day 4 Week 2

A1) Press
Bar x 5, 75 x 5, 95 x 5, 110 x 5, 120 x 5
10 x 5 @ 95 lbs

A2) Chinups
10 x 5, 1 x 10 (60 reps)

B1) D-Bell Press
50 x ,10,10
55 x 3 sets of 10

I miss the P.R. set but there are no extra reps in the pressing movements in this 5/3/1 format. I feel this is to save yourself for the high volume to follow. 10 sets of 5 is quite a bit! The reps were very explosive today and I was throwing the bar up! It felt good, but it's much more fatiguing then slow/tight reps. I suppose both are tiring in different ways. But a lot of explosive reps can definitely drain one. Hit 10 extra chin-ups today. Instead of doing a few more sets of 5, just decided to do an AMRAP like set at the end. Probably could've done a few more reps but that's fine, leaving room for growth next workout. Dumbbell presses were fine. Stretched and left.

Last edited:
Day 1 Week 3

Squats
Bar x 5, 135 x 5, 175 x 5, 200 x 5, 225 x 5, 250 x 12 (P.R. Set)
200 x 20 (Widowmaker set)

3 rounds assistance
TRX Rows - 20, 20, 15 (55)
Pushups - 20, 20, 20 (60)
1 leg RDL - 15, 15 ,15 (45) w/ 2 x 26 lbs. K.B.

So I hit the same number of reps in all P.R. sets the past 3 weeks. This is odd, but I am happy my squat is going well. This may be perhaps because I haven't trained it in some time. Also, the 20 rep sets are probably helping me gain leg size/endurance for those higher rep sets. I find the squat to be the best exercise to continue sets on. Whereas in the bench/deadlift/press it seems harder to keep grinding reps, even when the reps get hard in the squat, I feel I can still churn out a few more reps. I am still floored after both these sets, so I keep the assistance easy. I like the TRX rows more than the inverted rows with a barbell. They allow you to rotate the hands and I can definitely feel my upper back and stabilizers a bit more because of this. Did only 45 reps with single leg rdl, but this is fine. I felt the squat sets made up for this. I was pretty gassed. Though I didn't really up the volume of the pushups and inverted rows, I did the same amount of volume in less sets. A minor improvement, and all that I feel is necessary with this assistance work. Good training day, even though I was a bit tired.

Day 2 Week 3

Bench Press
Bar x 5, 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 5

Flat Feet/Pause Bench
185 x 5 x 5

T-Bar Rows 45lbs
20, 20 ,15 , 15 (70)

Incline D-Bell- 45 lbs
15, 12, 10, 10, 8 (55)

Modified what I'm doing with bench press a bit. After a few shaky weeks, I've decided to change up. My competition style bench is explosive/short range and very arched on my toes. It is hard to do the high % for 5 straight sets. Hit the first set of 205 clean, but my strength died on the second set at 3 reps. The volume is what's going to build my muscle and strength off the bottom, and since I've felt shaky on preceding sets, I've decided to drop the weight for the 5 x 5 portion. Next cycle, I'll work up to my heavy 5, then do the back off 5 x 5's with 90 % with the feet flat paused bench. SO Instead of doing 5 x 5 next week @ 190, I'll work up to 190 for 1 set of 5, then do 5 x 5 with 170 lbs with the pause and flat feet, adding the 10 lbs each week, ending next cycle 5 x 5 with 190 and top set w/ 210. I feel this will do better for adding strength and building muscle. Hit a bit more reps on the T-Bar Row.I feel my back starts "feeling it" after 10 reps, plus I should up my pulling reps today because there are two pressing exercises and only one pulling.

I do not mind that my bench is stalling a tad really. this just shows me where I need to work on. I am also doing well in my squats and deadlifts right now, so having the bench slow down is okay, since just the other month, it was the only lift improving. I think dropping the weight for the volume and sets and adding pauses will do me just fine. I think it will definitely help with my weakness off the chest, especially by using the weak stance (feet flat, lowered arch), I take all my strengths out of the bottom which are my high arch, and stronger leg drive with toes up. This should working the pressing muscles nicely, and also increase the range of motion. A win-win situation, and all I need to do is drop the weight a little bit.

Last edited:
How long does it take you to do a single long set of squats? Like 250*12 or 200*20. How many breaths do you take between reps?

With the squats it's obviously the easiest to do long sets if one just takes time with the bar on the back. I think my 20 rep sets took a minute or so. But I didn't start taking a lot of breaths until I had about a quarter left, and in my most successful sets less or not at all.

I've been thinking if and how the adaptation changes the longer a set takes. It's obviously harder to do ten reps in 20 seconds than ten reps in 60 seconds.

In my current cycle, I made a rule that if I didn't get to start the next rep in three seconds or so, I counted it as a technical failure and terminated the set. The same with deadlifts.

But of course, time under tension is a beautiful thing and certainly beneficial. Taking two minutes to do a squat set will be brutal, no matter how many reps I do.

The squat sets of the old times, the breathing squats, were meant to be long. The guidelines were put in order for people to breath more than less between the reps. What was it, at least five big breaths of air between reps? I should try that kind of squats as well. I've been reading a bit about the old times bodybuilding, trying to see if there are any hidden gems there.

How long does it take you to do a single long set of squats? Like 250*12 or 200*20. How many breaths do you take between reps?

With the squats it's obviously the easiest to do long sets if one just takes time with the bar on the back. I think my 20 rep sets took a minute or so. But I didn't start taking a lot of breaths until I had about a quarter left, and in my most successful sets less or not at all.

I've been thinking if and how the adaptation changes the longer a set takes. It's obviously harder to do ten reps in 20 seconds than ten reps in 60 seconds.

In my current cycle, I made a rule that if I didn't get to start the next rep in three seconds or so, I counted it as a technical failure and terminated the set. The same with deadlifts.

But of course, time under tension is a beautiful thing and certainly beneficial. Taking two minutes to do a squat set will be brutal, no matter how many reps I do.

The squat sets of the old times, the breathing squats, were meant to be long. The guidelines were put in order for people to breath more than less between the reps. What was it, at least five big breaths of air between reps? I should try that kind of squats as well. I've been reading a bit about the old times bodybuilding, trying to see if there are any hidden gems there.

I'm not sure how long it takes actually. I'd say for the set of 12 about a minute, and maybe even similar for the 20 reps as the weight is lighter. However, I can't say actually. It doesn't really feel that long as time ceases to exist to me in those moments. I should film to check but I just started at my new gym, and it's a bit crowded. I don't want to have to worry about someone stepping in front of my phone during a set, or have to be rude and be like "hey people, who've been going her longer than I, everybody watch out I'm filming".

As for breaths, it's usually one until the last few reps. With the 20 rep squats, I usually slow down to a few breaths at 15 reps and with the 12 rep squats, usually at 9 reps it seems. So about 75 % into the set. I think part of the benefit of high rep squats, is the length. Holding the bar on your back may "help" you recover for the last rep, but you're also usually gasping for air...with a considerable amount of weight on your back. I think this was the "secret" in old time bodybuilding you refer to. That "breathing" under a load with a posture that back then was a little more pretty, as the squats they recommended for 20 rep squats were usually with no more then BW on the barbell and a higher bar position. Usually, the breaths would be large long inhales and exhales, and this was thought to "expand" the ribcage, along with pullovers done between sets. I'm sure it has some pretty profound effects on lung strength, as you are not merely catching your breath but taking in large inhales.

True, holding the bar on the back may allow us to grind more, but in the deadlift it's better....we get to use the floor! And in the press, our shoulders like a front squat with considerable less weight or at arms length in the bench. Alas, smaller muscle groups are responsible for the latter two lifts and the press/dl don't get the benefit of stretch reflex, at least for the first rep for presses. I don't bounce my deads.

I also note the when I do pretty heavy/low rep sets, I tend to take my time between reps, as do many other powerlifters I've trained with. they'll hit one grueling rep, breath and rest at the top for a moment, hit another slow grind and after I assume they're about to re-rack, they'll stand there for moments...breathing...waiting...jeopardy theme...and hit one last all out rep. So in essence, the last few reps of my high rep sets aren't so dissimilar to a regular set of heavy 3's or 5's. In my case, I think I get more tired in the lungs, then in the legs. I have a loooong squat, and I think I'd shortchange myself the strength gains by allowing my breath to be the limiting factor.

I also think another benefit of 20 rep squats is not only TUT, but the mental toughness aspect. It's quite grueling. I think the lower body seems to respond better to high rep work for some reason as well. I won't get into fast/slow twitch stuff, but high rep lower body work has been working pretty well for me. Also, one can't discount how hard the core and back must work throughout this whole thing, even at the top at "rest".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom