all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Ah man... I remember my very first day in a weight room, summer break before my freshmen year of high school. I put 115# on the bench, no collars... and in the process of lowering it to my chest for the very first rep, one of the 35# plates slid right off the bar, and then of course the bar smashed into the floor on the opposite side. I stood up, and had a room full of gigantic 18-year-olds (at least that's how they seemed to me at the time) staring at me and shaking their heads. Good times.

ROFLROFLROFL
I suppose we've all been there at some point.

Didn't even want to chronicle this training day. Another poor deadlift session.
Something has to change. I left the gym feeling quite depressed. After working up on deadlifts,
I mustered two excruciating reps and failed a 3rd with a weight I've handled much more easily in the past. I feel pretty Sh!++y. It has not budged in over two years now, and all my effort seems in vain. I didn't want to do anything else afterwards. I hit 2 sets of front squats and was just feeling too piss poor to continue. My energy is sapped. I've now failed two lifts in the same week. I am not feeling all that great about myself currently. I'm trying to combat the idea of quitting, but I'm overwhelmed by the failure I feel. I don't know where I'll go from here.

If progress was predictable, and every cycle always worked, we'd all be world-class. But, we aren't. We gotta struggle through the unpredictable low point.

Keep your head up. I'll bet it's not the first, it won't be the last, and you'll come through stronger.

That sucks. Maybe you need a change of pace. Go back to something really simple, to the basics, like an American powerlifting LP. Maybe read some books on training to get some ideas, like some by Marty Gallagher if you haven't read them. Maybe you need a short break.

But keep your head up. It's hard. The difference happens when it's hard and we get over it.

I know that feeling, my deadlift has been stalled for years. You do train hard, especially with assistance work. Maybe you just had an off day, or like @Antti said, maybe a short break from lifting could be helpful.

Thanks for the strong words fellas. Honestly, I do think I've felt badly because of training a bit too hard. Obviously, in a fatigued state we're not at our peak. I'd just get too excited during training and do wayyyyyy too much sometimes. I thin I've figured out my plan. I'm gonna finish this and next week of 5/3/1, taking it easy on pushing the P.R.'s and assistance and just have solid workouts then deload. Then I think the 5x5x5 Mind Over Muscle program will be my next move for 5 weeks.

Have you tried the "Live as if you were living for a second time"-thing? You pretend this is your second life and have already lived it once but now has a chance do correct all the mistakes you made the first time around?:)

If you love the deadlift, like a favorite meal, and you have it all the time, no surprise it doesn't taste/feel as good after a while. Maybe you can do something else for a while so you'll start longing for the deadlift again?

I had a thing like that in my 20's when I'd played the guitar several hours a day for years, then I got sick of it, my playing wasn't any good, uninspired and the songs I wrote were awful. So I learned to play the piano and harmonica and after a while I had a new skill and the guitar was fun again.

I'm not saying give up training... but maybe change one session a week from deadlift to swimming, climbing, basketball, go-carting, street fighting, poetry slams, skydiving or a blacksmithing class? o_O

Have you tried the "Live as if you were living for a second time"-thing? You pretend this is your second life and have already lived it once but now has a chance do correct all the mistakes you made the first time around?:)

If you love the deadlift, like a favorite meal, and you have it all the time, no surprise it doesn't taste/feel as good after a while. Maybe you can do something else for a while so you'll start longing for the deadlift again?

I had a thing like that in my 20's when I'd played the guitar several hours a day for years, then I got sick of it, my playing wasn't any good, uninspired and the songs I wrote were awful. So I learned to play the piano and harmonica and after a while I had a new skill and the guitar was fun again.

I'm not saying give up training... but maybe change one session a week from deadlift to swimming, climbing, basketball, go-carting, street fighting, poetry slams, skydiving or a blacksmithing class? o_O

@Dekapon. I like what you've written here. I can relate. I was in fact thinking, and actually I've read, that having a few weeks every now from hard training to do new and different things in the gym or not can e very beneficial for reasons like so. It is something I think can be very valuable. Thanks for the post!

Day4 Week 5

Press
Bar x 8, 75 x 5, 100 x 3, 115 x 3, 130 x 5 (Top Set)

Close Grip Bench Press
135 x 10, 165 x 10, 185 x 8, 165 x 10, 135 x 10

Cable Rows
20 x 5 sets

Barbell Curls
65 x 5, 75 x 5, 85 x 5

Nice and smooth session. No panting and grunting. The gym was slow today, a nice complement to an easy but strong session. It is this type of session I want to do more often. The Press was tight and strong, and didn't push to set a P.r. Probably had two more reps but left it at the last perfect one. Close grip bench was the same, wanted 185 x 10, but wouldn't have gotten it without grinding it a bit. Rows were done a bit more methodically, really focusing on hitting the scapular muscles. Weight was medium. It's odd for my back. If the weight is too light, I don't get the muscles feeling thoroughly worked. If I use too much weight, I don't feel the right muscles working! Today I think I chose the weight wisely. Curls were good. Done with slow pace and high tension, just like Pavel recommends in PTTP and Beyond Bodybuilding. Full body tension/slow and tight and no swinging. Really enjoyed training today.

Day 1 Week 6

Squat
Bar x 5, 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 255 x 3, 280 x 6 (P.R. Set)

Snatch Grip RDL
10 x 5 sets @ 135 lbs

Face Pulls
20 x 3 sets

Dips
10 x 3 sets

Overhead Y's
15 x 2 sets

Stayed true to my word and took it easy with the rep P.R. Stopped as soon as the reps slowed down/form changed. Lightened the load from 225 to 135 on the RDLs. Funny thing, they still feel just as hard. It's important to not overload the assistance I've found, as it's merely meant to help my main lift. It is more important that the RDL helps my deadlift and squat, than actually the RDL itself. So I slowed the reps, felt more in my hammies, right where it needs to be. Lowered the volume on dips to 60 % of what I've been doing and di more light upper back work. I feel much better if these types of workouts.

I think something I need to realize is that just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I could've gotten 10 reps on the squat set, but I would've suffered the consequences. Holding back takes discipline, while trying to set a P.R. every session will hold you back. It's just ego, really. I know I can, so why not just get a good workout and let it be until I should do it? Of course it's important to push every now and then, but I've pushed too hard for too long. These workouts are much more refreshing, and I need to remind myself I don't have to kill myself in the gym to get stronger. Sometimes, it's the opposite. Good session today.

Day 2 Week 6

Bench
135 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 3, 225 x 2 (Miss 3rd)

185 x 5 x5 (paused)

Incline Bench
95 x 10, 115 x 10, 135 x 10

Single Arm Cable Row
20 x 3 sets

Incline Curl
15 lbs x 12,10

SO I missed my third bench rep, but I didn't sweat it too much. it's obvious my volume has been high and I just need my deload week and more reps with lighter weights. The paused sets felt oddly easy, obviously with far less weight. Lowering all assistance volume to 60 % for the week, and probably will only do easy stuff on deload week like Face Pulls, Pull Throughs, Renegade lunges. My volume and intensity have both been very high and I actually haven't been eating/ sleeping as much as I should. The good news is I don't feel run down, and I know after my rest, my lifts will likely improve greatly. I remember the first time I benched after not doing it for months, I easily set a 5 rep P.R. With squats it was the same. Odd how that works? Maybe a block of training where I substitute similar lifts like Inclines/Floor Presses and Zerchers/Good Mornings would do me well. We'll see, but I am excited todo 5 x 5 x 5. I think it's the radical change of pace I seek and need.

Day 3 Week 6

Deadlifts
135 x 1, 245 x 1, 355 x 1 (Top set)
295 x 3, 245 x 3 (Halting)

Front Squat
135 x 10 x 3 sets

Incline Rows
35 lbs x 15 x 2 sets

Band Rows, Y's
2 sets

Nice easy session. Just did singles for all the main deadlift sets up to the 5/3/1 single. It was nice and solid. Not tiring, no huffing and puffing and blowing the house down, just nice tight steady reps. Did some extra work on deads since 1 rep isn't very much practice with an impromptu halting practice. This is to help nail down my starting position and make for a tight start as opposed to an explosive one. I realize explosiveness helps but my problem seems to be when I try to explode the weight up and my hips swing up, because I didn't create adequate tension. I think it's better to practice starting as tight as possible, and then learn to explode from this position.

Light on the front squats, pausing each rep. I was practicing more on staying rigid and owning the reps. They were performed quite slowly, better transfer to deadlifts I believe. Did some upper back work and left the dips alone. Also did some easy bench sets. I think for the 5 x 5 x5 I'm going to switch my bench style from on the toes to heels down, and bring my grip in a few fingers.

Last edited:
Day 4 Week 6

Press
Bar x 8, 75 x 6, 95 x 6, 115 x 5, 130 x 3, 140 x 3

CGBP
135 x 10 x 3 sets

Chinups
10 x 3 sets

Barbell Curls
65 x 5, 85 x 5

Band Work

Ended with a solid, tight triple @ 140, which I think was a good place to finish. Light and slow on Close grip bench. This lift kind of irritates my wrists, maybe because I have long clavicles. Perhaps that is why I bench so wide in the first place. Used about a thumbs grip from knurling, maybe just a tad wider would be better. Did chins today for the first time in a while. Felt good, easy on the spine. A couple sets of curls to wrap it up and my upper back band work. Although this week was easier than normal, still going for the deload next week to give myself time for a proper rest and body reset, then 5 x 5 x 5. Overall, I think this cycle taught me a lot, and just in time for a strength phase. My challenge in 5 x 5 x 5 will be to focus on high tension lifting. Every lift will emulate a max effort, without any psych up. Practice is the key word. Also, I must focus on not going too high in the intensity, and instead doing it only when my body feels as though it's a good time to push. Waviness will be key, as will listening to my body. I look forward to this type of training, as I've always found it meditative and it's been a while since I've enjoyed training that way.

Mind Over Muscle 5 x 5 x 5

Day 1 Week 1

Warmup
Goblet Squat to Sots Press x 3 per arm
K-Bell Windmill x 3 per arm
K-Bell Behind Back GM x 3

Squat - 135 x 1, 225 x 1, 275 x 5
Bench- 135 x 1, 185 x 1, 185 x 5
Deadlift - 135 x 1, 225 x 1, 335 x 5
Sternum Chinup- BW x 5
Hanging Leg Raise - x 5

Was feeling too good to take a deload. Felt the volume reduction last week was all I needed, and it appears it was. I love training this way. I felt strong and not tired at all. I think I picked the weights well today, and these are good baselines to work with. In essence, I will "dance around" these weights, waving them as fit. The chins and leg raises were definitely refreshing. It's nice to do such low volume.

Squat- Felt very solid. SLow and tight, with a focus on the liftoff and steady descent and strong ascent. I do these reps slowly, squeezing everything, as the point is to get used to tension and strengthen the ability to summon, especially under load.

Bench Press- Felt hard because of the squeezing and lowering slowly, but actually this made the weight feel heavier than it was as the ascent was easier than the descent. Make light weights hard, so heavy weights feel light.

Deadlift - will need to use lower weights then today, although the set wasn't too heavy. Just really need to nail my foot position in setup and solid start position, gaining tension before the lift. I'm using the wedge style of Andy Bolton, where you do a few wedge reps, memorizing the starting position and then rock into it to start. I also feel I may have tight glutes, which may or may not be bad.

The two other lifts were done in the same style. The leg raises are actually pretty tough, as I haven't done an abdominal exercise in...can't remember the last time.

Day 2 Week 1

Warmup Drills
Prying Goblet Squat to Sots Press - 3 Squats/3 presses per arm
K-Bell Windmills - 3 per side
K-Bell GM - 3

Squat - Bar x 1, 135 x 1, 225 x 1, 295 x 5
Bench Press - Bar x 1, 135 x 1, 185 x 5
Deadlift - 135 x 1, 225 x 1, 275 x 5
Sternum Chins - BW x 5
Hanging Leg Raises - BW x 5

Back was a bit tired but that's okay, just reduce the weight on deadlifts. Squats didn't seem to be affected at all by this and 295 was a solid tight set. Bench was easier than yesterday with same weight and slight pause. Going to reduce weight on all three powerlifts for rest of week. Think deadlifts should be kept in the 70 - 80 % of 5 RM range, so most of the time, I will be pulling 225 - 275 x 5. Squat never seems to suffer from fatigue for some reason, bench and deadlift do. I will also rotate the order of exercises to keep things fresh. Since I don't plan on going heavier than I did today on squats, I may very well do deadlifts first, since this lift rarely gets to be trained fresh. Also, may do the assistance first on some days to better transfer those skills to the lifts, i.e. doing the pullups before bench, squat, deads will help lat tension in all three as well as the hanging leg raises to help IAP. Will also slow down the reps a bit more for the lowered weights to better practice perfect grooves and tension.

Day 3 Week 1

Warmup
Double Kettlebell Squat to Sots press x 3/3
Windmill x 3 per side
K-Bell Good Morning - x 3

Bench Press - Bar x 5, 135 x 1, 185 x 1, 165 x 5 (Long Pause)
Sternum Chins - x 5
Deadlift - 135 x 1, 225 x 5
Hanging Knee Raises - x 5
Squat - 135 x 1, 225 x 1, 185 x 5 (Paused)

Other

More windmills, Arm Bar's, hanging from Pullup Bar, Yoga chest openers, stretching

Easy day. Like training early because I don't feel the need to rush. Was going to deadlift first, but all the platforms were taken so decided to bench. Re-arranged the lifts a bit, putting in the accessory type lifts in between the big lifts. This does a few things. It helps coordinate the effort of these lifts into the big lifts, so sternum chins help my lat activity in my deadlift, and they allow a little decompression in between heavy spinal loading. Bench press felt a little odd on the 5 set, not hard, but not perfect. I went back after everything and did a few easy reps with 135, pausing and realized it was merely because of my bar path. Up and back seems to work much better, but I was attempting to push straight up on my initial sets. So I redrilled it with some very light pause reps, pausing at the point of flare and chest. Deadlift was good. I may never go above 275 during this entire program, but we'll see. It just feels nice to deadlift without truly struggling, and that makes my reps feel a bit better and technique will be better learned. When it comes time to actually pull heavy, I will be fresher as well. Split the deads and squats with some" easier than straight leg raises" knee raises. Squat was a very slow descent and pause, maintaining tension, and full force concentric motion. Not tiring, but slightly hard because of the long reps. Messed around after with the 53 lbs k-bell doing some windmills, arm bars, nothing taxing These do seem to stretch my pecs and open me up a bit more and provide some good reinforcement for upper back posture. Stretched out everything and now food time.

Day 4 Week 1

Foam Rolled Glutes
Renegade Lunge

Deadlift - 135 x 1, 225 x 1, 255 x 5
Sternum Chins - x 5
Bench Press - Bar x 1, 135 x 1, 165 x 1, 175 x 5
Hanging Leg Raises - x 5
Squat - 135 x 1, 225 x 1, 205 x 5

Deadlifts felt really solid today. The weight almost levitated, which made me feel good. My hips stayed down, mainly because I started them in the right position, instead of trying to squat the deadlift. I think that I found today that my lower back soreness was actually a product of my sternum chins, and trying to lean to far back. Remedied this today. Bench Press was in a much better groove today, as I slowed the descent. Although I descend rather quickly normally, slowing it down will allow me to do so more accurately, and get accustomed to the strength necessary to stabilize the bar into the right path. bench was paused as well. Leg raises to decompress the spine after benches and a set of squats after. Lowered slowly, and exploded up today as opposed to the usual full tension, slow move. I kept tension, but drove harder into the bar. Most of the time on 5 x 5 x 5, I squat in slow motion, up and down, just focusing on tension, so this was a refreshing variation.

Last edited:
Day 5 Week 1

Squat - 135 x 1, 225 x 1, 240 x 5
Sternum Pullup - x 5
Bench Press - 135 x 1, 185 x 1, 155 x 5
Hanging Leg Raises - x 5
Deadlift - 135 x 1, 225 x 1, 295 x 5

Last day of week but some weights needed to go up a bit, as you have to lift a bit heavier every now and then. Squats felt really solid. Did them beltless today, as it was a low percentage. Helps get better at full body tension. Bench, really slow reps, squeezing the bar, finding the perfect spot. Odd to feel every muscle working, which is what I aim for. But my bench is explosive so I need to practice this way every now and then too. Deadlifts felt really solid because they were hard, because of full body tension. Really squeezed my body hard, so it's almost impossible to judge how the weight even feels because you're squeezing your body so hard. In 5/3/1, this would be a weight I'd hit easily for 10 + reps, but to do so, you do not keep such high tension, only tension necessary. Right now, I'm really drilling in the feeling of lifting a max weight, without it being maximal.

Breakdown of Avg. intensity for week

Squat- 240 lbs. from 365 lbs. (Estimated 1 Rm) = 67 %
Bench Press - 173 lbs. of 250 lbs. (estimated 1 RM) = 69 %
Deadlift - 277 lbs. of 405 (Estimated 1 RM) = 68 %

So these numbers are just about where I want to be. These practices are meant to be around 60 - 80 % average intensity so it's nice to see for the first week, I'm just under 70 % average.

Back
Top Bottom