all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

I can't imagine doing bench, squat, and deadlift 4x a week! I'll have to catch up on your training logs and follow your progress tip se how it works out for you.

5x a week!!! It's the 5 x 5 x 5 program Pavel wrote about. It's all over the internet so it's easy to find! The key is waving the intensity and practicing as perfect as you can. It's only 1 set of 5 everyday and doesn't have to be super heavy but somewhat heavy, around the 70 - 80 % range of an all out effort. Check it out sometime! I've used it to great success in the past.

Day 3 Week 4 (Unloading)

Still a bit of quad strain though it did not bother me much.

Warmup- Goblet Squats, Prying Squats

Squat - Bar x 3, 135 x 3, 225 x 3
HLR- x 3
Bench Press - 135 x 3, 185 x 3 (long pause)
Deadlift - 155 x 1, 265 x 3
Chins - 53 lbs. kettlebell x 3

Refreshing workout. I was actually a bit tired earlier as I went to bed late and whilst today was supposed to be a day off, work called me in. Was a tad cranky and was contemplating taking a rest day, but didn't. I remember Pavel writing somewhere how light sessions are better for recovery then a pure break. Continuity of he training process! I actually feel very revitalized after today's session. Weights were easy. Pretty much the only bother was my quads which I actually found were caused by my deadlift more so than my squat. Odd, but I suppose it makes sense. Basically just put weight on that was easy to load. We have 25 kilo plates so I used those for the deads. Everything felt good, even with quad a little strained. I'll have to focus a bit more on those muscles next phase. Found my chinup strength is quite good now. This was the heaviest kettlebell and was not a problem at all. Maybe I'll test my 1 rep chin up max later! ROFL

Last edited:
Day 4 Week 4 (unloading)

Deadlifts- 155 x 2, 265 x 2, 335 x 3
Chins- 45 lbs x 3
Bench Press- 155 x 2, 175 x 3 (paused)
HLR - x 3
Squat - 155 x 3, 265 x 3

Pretty routine day. It's hard to say where I'm at progress wise. I'm slightly worried but nothing seems especially heavy. I suppose I'm just not used to using a program that progresses linearly. With such, you see clear progress, but this one is day to day and feels like a crab shoot sometimes. I'll just have to wait and see.

Day 5 Week 4 (unloading)

Squat - 135 x 3, 225 x 3
Bench - 135 x 3, 165 x 3
Deadlift - 135 x 3, 245 x 3
Chins - 25 lbs x 3
HLR - x 3

A nice ending to the week. Feeling pretty good right now. I realize the need for aggression in a max deadlift. I felt in my mind when visualizing that the quicker I get to the bar, grip and go, the less time there is for doubt to kick in. I think this will be important for a big pull. The same goes for the other lifts. A little psyching is necessary but not so much that it drains. I may go for a max, or just a heavy single, depending on what I feel. But since I don't do it often, I may go all out too. We shall see. Right now, I feel pretty good about it. I hope the optimism lasts.

Monday, I'm supposed to ramp up to a moderately heavy single in each lift, but not maximal. Tuesday I will max. I don't want to go too heavy or too light on Monday, so this will be a judgement. Just

Day1 Week 5 (Warmup Singles)

Squat - 135 x 3, 225 x 2, 275 x 1, 315 x 1
Bench Press - 135 x 3, 185 x2, 205 x 1, 225 x 1
Deadlift - 135 x 3, 225 x 3, 275 x 2, 315 x 1, 365 x 1
Chins + HLR - x5

Very interesting. Basically today the goal is to ramp up to a moderately heavy single around 80 - 90 % of a max lift. I erred on the lighter side as I wanted no mental arousal for any lift. I can't even really tell how the weight felt to be honest. Every rep seemed pretty routine, no grinds no strains, It was quite odd. I'm not sure if this good or bad. Nothing felt heavy, they just felt like lifts I've been doing for weeks, which I have been. Not sure yet if I will test my squat tomorrow. I'm sure it would test quite well, however, I wish to get a better reading on my deadlift and seeing as I don't want to spend hours at the gym waiting between lifts lie a meet, I may just let it ride. Tomorrow will be interesting.

That was a heavy session! Were those squat and deadlift PRs?

Also, are you still hovering around the same bodyweight? On the 1st few pages of your log you mentioned you got up to 178 I believe.

That was a heavy session! Were those squat and deadlift PRs?

Also, are you still hovering around the same bodyweight? On the 1st few pages of your log you mentioned you got up to 178 I believe.

Haha it was heavy-ish! Those were about 80 % of a maximal weight. Im actually down to a little over 170 lbs right now! But yesterdays workout is more of like a ramp up to today's heavy single session, where I go for my heaviest single. So yesterdays single was like the last warmup set before doing maxes.

Day 2 Week 5 (Test Day)

Warmup drills

Bench - 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 205 x 2, 225 x 1, 240 x 1
Deadlift - 135 x 3, 225 x 3, 275 x 2, 315 x 2, 365 x 1, 395 x Miss

Today didn't really go as planned but after taking a step back, I've figured the reasons why.
Leading up to today, I was kind of low on drive and wasn't really excited about testing. I had very little motivation to push really hard or energy or desire to do so. I believe this is caused by a burnout in specificity. I've just been doing these lifts for too long.

Bench was okay. 240 wasn't too hard but I had little desire to go up. It was early, I didn't have my usual partners in training and no spotter. Considering my BW has dropped from near 180 to just above 170, this isn't a big blow. After bench, I didn't feel really motivated to deadlift heavy. After 365, I felt like meh. Didn't put much effort into 395 to be honest.

Looking back on my training logs, I've realized that some of my best gains on the big lifts in recent years, is actually when I wasn't even performing them. I've been reading CT's work on Neuro types. I can say without a doubt, I fall into the 2A category, blend of neural and muscular system. The 5 x 5 x 5 is a good program, no doubt. But it may work better for me in a shorter time period and after a long period of not doing my competition lifts. It does focus mostly on the neural aspects and does disregard the muscular one. For me, this may not be best right now. After losing some size, I definitely felt a bit unstable un-racking my heavier bench attempts. Also, I haven't handled much heavier weights recently. This messed with me psychologically. As for the deadlift, I think @Dekapon had good advice about it earlier in my blog. I've "over deadlifted".

As far as neuro types go, according to CT, mine thrives on variety and a mixture of explosive, heavy and muscular training. I think this may be true. Also note, he stated programs must be changed often as I adapt very quickly. Note that my best week on 5 x 5 x 5 was week 2. After that, I felt like I wasn't really getting better. Good to know, will tuck it in my back pocket for later. I've all ready decided the best course of action for myself.

Last edited:
Reasons I did not improve my lifts

-Neural burnout
-Lack of muscle built (muscle lost in fact)
- Little variety (for some reason, variety seems to build my lifts, better than the lifts themselves)
- Lack of strength from not handling heavy weights (the lifts are moderate, heavy weights were quite shocking)

This program will work for a lot of people, no doubt, just not me at this time. However, I do know now what I will do.

I need a program that undoes what I've done too much of. The big lifts. Similar but different ones will be substituted to build strength. I will follow CT's advice and do the Westside for Skinny Bedheads (3rd edition).

This program will certainly suit my needs and allow me to get excited about doing other lifts, building muscle, strength and explosive. In effect, I will build the lifts, without ever performing them...at least for a few months. But I will do lifts similar to them and build strength and size there. Since I've found I can adapt to the lifts quickly, one week may suffice to bring them up to coordination and technique efficiency. I learned this from 5 x 5 x 5. I note my strongest bench came when I did only floor presses and overhead presses for months. My deadlift and squat also seem to thrive when I do unilateral leg work, like BSS or step ups. I am also excited to turn a page and do some new training that I think will definitely fit me. Although I did not receive the results I hoped for in 5 x 5 x 5, I learned a lot about myself in the process. I will use a similar procedure in the future to peak the technique of my lifts.

My 2 cents, to inspire some critical thinking. I apologize ahead of time if this is unsolicited advice.

It's important to figure out where you are at in programming. You've run a bunch of programs with different theories behind them.

I think it comes down to recovery to figure out where you are:

Recover allows you to add weight every session 3x a week: not likely for you but would be an LP where weights go up every workout

Recover allows you to add weight weekly: Something like Texas Method, HLM, with a volume day, a light recovery day, and an intensity day were weight is added 1x a week. A 4 day split would also work by splitting the same workouts into 4 days and giving you the time to do some accessory movements.

From there it would go monthly and blocks of longer periods like dup (Daily Undulating Periodization) and block training.

I'd predict that you could still do a weekly progression program, using the 4 day split you could do the main lifts with accessories that you are looking forward too. I have no idea where the program your looking at fits in with progression as I haven't looked at it in detail.

Ofcourse, it is more important to have a good program that motivates you rather than the perfect one (no such thing) that maybe doesn't motivate you. I'll be looking forward to where your training leads you!

Interesting, I think I understand what you're saying about recovery. The conjugate method actually tailors this to individual needs. It is not cookie cutter. I have chosen the conjugate method for a very simple reason. I want to do other lifts than the powerlifts.

The progression is pretty simple. Add weight to the main lift until you can't, then switch main lifts. This usually lasts 2-3 weeks. You max often, but rotate the lift you max on. I.e weeks 1-2 incline press, 3-5 floor press, etc. In conjugate training, there isn't much periodization. All physical qualities are trained simultaneously as opposed to working with an emphasis on speed/power, max strength and hypertrophy.

I've always seen myself as an experimenter, or one who is "seeking the best method, "as you stated there isn't one, but like a musician searching for the secret chord, I'm more looking for the one that 1)resonates with me 2) succeeds in building strength 3) can be done for the long haul.

If you refer back to my neural type posts, you will see why I've chosen the conjugate method. It doesn't have to be full blown westside, but it's a simple template with high customization potential to tailor individual needs, as opposed to say the Bulgarian system.

Also, I believe it opens up training a little bit. I can use front squats, zercher squats, high bar squats, etc as main squat lifts. I adapt to movements very quickly. The downside is, I stop progressing in them quite quickly. This method counters that. But we shall see. You're right I've done many programs in the past, but also I've learned quite a lot in the process.

Last edited:
Westside for Skinny Bass Players

Upper Body RE Day

Warmup
Mobility

2 rounds
Explosive Pushup x 3
B.U. K-Bell Walks
Bands rows and Y's

A1) Incline K-bell Press
53 lbs. - 15, 9, 6 (31)

B1) Chinups
10, 8, 6, 6 (30)

B2)2 Hand K-bell O.H. Press
35 lbs. - 9, 8, 8 (25)

C1) K-bell High Pull w/ rope
53 lbs. - 15, 12 (27)

C2) K-bell Rope Curls
53 lbs
8, 6 (14)

D1)Triceps Pushdown
A light weight 20, 12

For those of you who've followed me, you know I don't take long breaks between programs.
Maybe not ideal, but I feel fresh enough to go pretty quickly. Very quick workout today. Got a pump for the first time in over month, which was quite welcome. As you can see, a drastic change from the minimalist 5 x 5 x 5, but that's the point. While the goal is to improve strength, I am currently not specializing in the main lifts. If I had to pick between being strong on solely the powerlifts vs being strong in general, I think I'd choose the latter. This is not to spite the big lifts, but specialization has it's tradeoffs, as does generalization.

I feel more along the lines of a renaissance man. Not great at any one particular discipline, but pretty good in many. I've always had many interests and while powerlifting is one of them, strength reaches beyond. Of course, I do this program with the hopes that it will improve my total. I believe it will. But doing other lifts is exciting. Getting strong in a zercher squat, trap bar deadlift and incline press is still cool, even if it's not the main lift. Every now in then to measure progress, I may throw a main lift in on ME day, but not for a while, only when it feels time. I also will probably keep the bench press for the RE day as a main lift. This will probably be a while too, at least a few cycles.

I also see myself gaining back the size I've lost, and more. Size helps us lift more, no doubt. There'd be no weight classes if this wasn't the case. So size is welcome. I won't be my wiry self for a while, but that's fine for now. I'll probably come back to it eventually. Anyways, todays workout felt right. I am excited to run this program for a while. It's easy to adjust and a lot of auto regulation is necessary. Tomorrow is ME Lower body, and I think I'll do the Yoke bar for squats. I've never done these so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Another benefit to the specialty exercises is, I'm not as ego driven to P.R. in them right now. I have no idea what my yoke bar max is, so whatever I hit will be an indicator of something lacking in my previous training, or if I';m stronger in it then my regular back squat, I'll know my regular back squat is probably better than I think. But I'll leave the main lifts alone until a time in the future. Absence to make the heart grow fonder.

So here's some news.

After my trip to Paris, I was very intent on returning ASAP. It seems my wish has been granted. I have been accepted the American University of Paris as an undergraduate for this upcoming fall semester!!! I am very excited at this opportunity although I have much to do in very little time. I will continue training of course but just wanted to share this with y'all.

If there are any Parisians among us, please reach out. I'd be delighted to meet/train with you. Now, first order of business: Find a good gym in Paris!

Congratulations on the studies!

Interesting thoughts you have there regarding training and different exercises and carryover etc. There is a certain appeal in the Westside training philosophy but changing the exercises a lot means it gets hard to see if I progress or not and how efficiently if so. It takes a long time of running it to see if it works or not. Haven't ever truly tried it, though my current program hasn't been that far from it.

Congratulations on the studies!

Interesting thoughts you have there regarding training and different exercises and carryover etc. There is a certain appeal in the Westside training philosophy but changing the exercises a lot means it gets hard to see if I progress or not and how efficiently if so. It takes a long time of running it to see if it works or not. Haven't ever truly tried it, though my current program hasn't been that far from it.

In the beginning, I plan to stick with new ME exercises for at least 2 weeks. ME's can be for 3-5 reps. I won't do 1rm with them. Also, one must find the money ME exercises for them, and usually 3-4 will do the trick for each lift. Once you find those, stick with them until there's a new weakness in your lift. Reading about it, I found it to be a very interesting and endearing method. It just makes sense to me. I do not need the bands or chains or boxes really to follow a conjugate method and in the template I'm following, the DE day for upper is replaced with a RE (repeated effort_ day. The lower body DE day is done with Olympic lifts/power moves and light accessory).

Reading a "No Deadlift" deadlift training article by @kennycro@@aol.com has intrigued me and remembering my high school days as a track athlete (jumper and sprinter) and pulling 385 with little to no deadlift specific training has made me reconsider this method. I did a lot of explosive work in those days i.e sprints, jumps, power cleans and squats, and my deadlift was strong with nearly no training. I should've had this lightbulb moment years ago but hey, it takes time to learn and mistakes to find the right path.

Also, I must consider that I pulled 405 for the first time over 2 years ago at only 155. Now that I'm in the 170's, perhaps my style (deadlift stance/technique) needs to be changed as I have changed, body wise. Conventional was once my strong stance. Maybe all this sumo training has had good carryover to my conventional deadlift.

Thanks by the way!!!

Back
Top Bottom