all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

First of all, I think there is general strength. Maybe also what we should call slow strength - as opposed to weightlifting. And I think it is universally the best developed by the powerlifts. They are the best squat, press and hinge.

Now, to me, to see if I progress or not I should make an improvement in the powerlifts. If my squat is 2,5kg better after three months, I have improved. It's as simple as that. I also see this as an improvement in the general strength. As the better my back squat is, the better practically everything is for me.

I'll use the zercher squat as a personal example. I started using it as an accessory exercise in my previous cycle, and I soon managed to do some relatively decent numbers with it. I think I progressed from 140kg to 200kg in short order, or something like that. But I don't think I got that much stronger - I learned how to express my strength with the exercise. The strength was already there from the back squats and the deadlifts. Now, of course, I won't say I didn't get stronger per se. But it is a relative improvement, like always. The key is whether I get stronger or better in expressing the strength. A fine line, but it is there. I must stress it; it's a good idea to include variety, especially training the weak spots helps, but it must be accountable.

When it comes to the required deadlift training volume, I agree, it needs little, if one does enough of something else that's suitable. Squat, power clean, good morning, etc.

I agree about the mental side, the freshness, of doing a brand new exercise. Don't look online what's good or not, just lift it. If you hear a friend say someone did something, lift more. Etc. Some times it's better to not know.

Yes, I think I understand. However, we must define general strength. Why is it some have more strength in the powerlifts when starting then others do? Where did this general strength come from? Possibly athletics, genetics, etc. How do I define general strength? I like to be strong outside the weight room. I like the idea of going to help someone move some heavy stuff, do yard work, etc. I feel the better I've gotten at the powerlifts and the more iv'e specialized in them, the more they take out of me outside the gym. Heavy deadlifts have drained me, benching has taken a toll on my all ready injured shoulder and if you recall in previous posts, my knee has been bothered by squats. My point being if you want to be extremely good at the powerlifts, you must specialize. You must really not worry about any other strength qualities except your max in those lifts. This comes at the expense of other qualities. Jim Wendler has stated how he used to waddle up to the monolift and squat 1000 lbs. but he couldn't do much else. He didn't feel strong at all! He wanted to kick butt at many things. 5/3/1 was born. This is what I mean about powerlifting strength vs regular strength. A powerlifter doesn't nor shouldn't care about being able to farmer's walk 200 lbs. for distance or deadlift 500 lbs. for reps like a strongman. It doesn't matter what he can clean or press overhead even. Is the press not a legitimate strength move because it's not a powerlift? Trap Bar deadlift, Front squat, incline press?

I do believe that those big lifts are great for developing general strength. Namely because you can load them heavy and progress for some time. They teach you to use the body as a coordinated unit while stimulating a lot of mass, and they're relatively simple to do....at first, if developing base strength is merely your goal, at least compared to oly lifts or squats with specialty bars, . Becoming a powerlifter, is a different goal. Arthur B Jones quipped that there is a difference between getting stronger and lifting more. For strength, the former is more important but for a powerlifter, I'd say they'd rather lift more yes?

Powerlifters also look for the easiest way to lift a weight. This means, cutting the range of motion via arches, bar position, finding the ideal leverage. This is where technique comes in. This is my qualm. That developing technique to lift more weight may not make someone stronger in general, outside of the specific exercise they do so in. I believe it is at this point that training for strength and ultra specialization in the power lifts split. By optimizing technique, you can lift more without getting stronger.

The idea of my specialized variety is to actually use lifts that I am weaker at, thus using less weight. Of course, every now and then I may add a supramaximal lift to get the "heavy weight" feeling. A thought on why zercher's may not have helped your squat. Paul Anderson loved the good morning. He found great gains in pulling and squatting from doing it. However, at a certain point, his good morning were going up while his big lifts didn't move. He discovered he learned to cheat the movement by pushing the hips back as opposed to "bending over", thus creating a better leverage advantage. He lifted more. But he didn't get stronger.

Louie Simmons has stated "It is not as important to improve your good mornings as it is to improve your deadlift by doing good mornings. Thus the groove in your assistance lifts should mimic the precise movement of the main lift." Pavel has seconded this notion.

Variety has it's place in "all sports". I don't know of any sport, and I've played a few, where "practice" is literally just playing the sport. In my track days, I barely if ever ran a 100 meter dash or did a long jump in training. Most of the training was sprinkled with standing broad jumps, short sprint strides, sprints of varying distance, jumping drills, practice off the blocks etc. Westside rarely ever does the competition lifts in training, and they have dominated in the past. However, I must discern that this is only possible, if someone has spent adequate time with a linear progression and technique practice of the main lifts for many years. I have. Before even posting on strongfirst, I trained the big lifts for years. Some who are built to powerlift can ride that wave forever. I have heard on numerous occasion..."you don't look like the typical powerlifter." Those who say it are right.

My special variety exercises have not been chosen without purpose. The yoke bar squats are similar to high bar squat with an added bonus of stability challenge and it's very nice on the shoulder and back. The floor press, as I've stated before, always seems to help my bench and allow my shoulders that breathing room on the bottom. My deadlift seems to improve the less I do it, and I feel much better in general. I had more points to make, but I've rambled. i'll leave it here for now.

Last edited:
Westside for Slender Beanpoles

ME Lower Body

Yoke bar Squat
Bar x 5, 155 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 5, 245 x 5

RDL
135 x 12, 12 ,12

B.S.S
25 lbs. K-bell x 12, 12, 12

Standing Cable Crunch
3 x 5 (heavy, obviously)

I honestly am not sure how much the yoke bar is. I looked online and it said 65 lbs. I had what would usually be 225 on a standard bar. If this is so, it is definitely a bit trickier then a regular squat and lots weaker. I could've done more but I think I'll leave some room for improvement for a couple weeks. A nice thing about the SV lifts is that it felt hard, but I really didn't feel very tired after my top set. I went in to my other lifts pretty quickly. My hamstrings will be sore tomorrow, of this I am sure. probably my glutes too. I really hate B.S.S. but they seem to help my leg strength, so I'll do them. Haven't done many ab exercises except the hanging leg raises in 5 x 5 x 5 for some time. Took Pavel's advice and did them heavy, as opposed to high rep burn ones. Feel it transfer better to heavier lifting. I will repeat the yoke squats next week, and floor press on Monday.

Yes, I think I understand. However, we must define general strength. Why is it some have more strength in the powerlifts when starting then others do? Where did this general strength come from? Possibly athletics, genetics, etc. How do I define general strength? I like to be strong outside the weight room. I like the idea of going to help someone move some heavy stuff, do yard work, etc. I feel the better I've gotten at the powerlifts and the more iv'e specialized in them, the more they take out of me outside the gym. Heavy deadlifts have drained me, benching has taken a toll on my all ready injured shoulder and if you recall in previous posts, my knee has been bothered by squats. My point being if you want to be extremely good at the powerlifts, you must specialize. You must really not worry about any other strength qualities except your max in those lifts. This comes at the expense of other qualities. Jim Wendler has stated how he used to waddle up to the monolift and squat 1000 lbs. but he couldn't do much else. He didn't feel strong at all! He wanted to kick butt at many things. 5/3/1 was born. This is what I mean about powerlifting strength vs regular strength. A powerlifter doesn't nor shouldn't care about being able to farmer's walk 200 lbs. for distance or deadlift 500 lbs. for reps like a strongman. It doesn't matter what he can clean or press overhead even. Is the press not a legitimate strength move because it's not a powerlift? Trap Bar deadlift, Front squat, incline press?

I do believe that those big lifts are great for developing general strength. Namely because you can load them heavy and progress for some time. They teach you to use the body as a coordinated unit while stimulating a lot of mass, and they're relatively simple to do....at first, if developing base strength is merely your goal, at least compared to oly lifts or squats with specialty bars, . Becoming a powerlifter, is a different goal. Arthur B Jones quipped that there is a difference between getting stronger and lifting more. For strength, the latter is more important but for a powerlifter, I'd say they'd rather lift more yes?

Powerlifters also look for the easiest way to lift a weight. This means, cutting the range of motion via arches, bar position, finding the ideal leverage. This is where technique comes in. This is my qualm. That developing technique to lift more weight may not make someone stronger in general, outside of the specific exercise they do so in. I believe it is at this point that training for strength and ultra specialization in the power lifts split. By optimizing technique, you can lift more without getting stronger.

The idea of my specialized variety is to actually use lifts that I am weaker at, thus using less weight. Of course, every now and then I may add a supramaximal lift to get the "heavy weight" feeling. A thought on why zercher's may not have helped your squat. Paul Anderson loved the good morning. He found great gains in pulling and squatting from doing it. However, at a certain point, his good morning were going up while his big lifts didn't move. He discovered he learned to cheat the movement by pushing the hips back as opposed to "bending over", thus creating a better leverage advantage. He lifted more. But he didn't get stronger.

Louie Simmons has stated "It is not as important to improve your good mornings as it is to improve your deadlift by doing good mornings. Thus the groove in your assistance lifts should mimic the precise movement of the main lift." Pavel has seconded this notion.

Variety has it's place in "all sports". I don't know of any sport, and I've played a few, where "practice" is literally just playing the sport. In my track days, I barely if ever ran a 100 meter dash or did a long jump in training. Most of the training was sprinkled with standing broad jumps, short sprint strides, sprints of varying distance, jumping drills, practice off the blocks etc. Westside rarely ever does the competition lifts in training, and they have dominated in the past. However, I must discern that this is only possible, if someone has spent adequate time with a linear progression and technique practice of the main lifts for many years. I have. Before even posting on strongfirst, I trained the big lifts for years. Some who are built to powerlift can ride that wave forever. I have heard on numerous occasion..."you don't look like the typical powerlifter." Those who say it are right.

My special variety exercises have not been chosen without purpose. The yoke bar squats are similar to high bar squat with an added bonus of stability challenge and it's very nice on the shoulder and back. The floor press, as I've stated before, always seems to help my bench and allow my shoulders that breathing room on the bottom. My deadlift seems to improve the less I do it, and I feel much better in general. I had more points to make, but I've rambled. i'll leave it here for now.

It's hard to define general strength. I think there's at least muscle, muscle attachment, nervous efficiency, skill, etc that go into how strong one is. The muscle attachment is one case where it's purely genetics.

I totally get the desire about wanting to be able to do other than just powerlift. I've read and heard the Tate and Wendler stories. I'm not sure if it stands for the typical top powerlifter anymore. For example, a certain standard of conditioning is typically seen only as beneficial for the aspiring powerlifter, as it aids in recovery and makes it possible to train with more volume. I'd also argue that a competitive powerlifter has to take joint health etc in to the big picture, as for example it may be beneficial to train in a less optimal way in the long term, if it means more healthy training volume over a long period of time, so for example a narrower bench grip may lead to a bigger bench, even if it doesn't do it at first. But your, and personal, injuries are always something to take good care of and take into account. And in the Tate & Wendler etc stories I wouldn't blame the powerlifts for their condition. They would have been in an even worse condition if they didn't do the powerlifts and didn't do anything. They should have done something more on top of the powerlifting, and I believe they would have been better off with some extra, even in the powerlifting.

I think in the big picture, it doesn't matter what angle we press with, or where we hold the bar when we squat, or exactly how long the range of motion is when we deadlift. The most important thing is to squat, press, deadlift etc and do it heavy. Some people get very fit and strong without any kind of weights at all. But in the end, like with the very fine end, there may be some minor differences between the lifts, which is optimal, which is not. For the layman, it matters not, for a competitive athlete, it may give an edge in a longer period of time.

I think it's a good thing to include a variety of different lifts to everyone, even the competitive powerlifter. Yes, even better if we can target the weak points. Identifying the weak points and picking the correct way to correct them is another case. I am planning on my next cycle to include different variations of every top lift. For example, I will likely do deficit snatch grip deadlifts for four weeks, then snatch grip deadlifts for four weeks, and in the end conventional deadlifts. Each with it's own wave of progression, and each one done heavy for the exercise itself. That way I don't have to have such a long period of lighter weights ramping up, and I get a bit of a different stimulus, yet for a good period of time.

When it comes to powerlifters looking for the easiest way to lift a weight, I'm not sure I see it as a problem. Sure, the most extreme bench press arch is a problem, but it's rare. But even if the powerlifter uses technique to use the most weight; like a narrow deadlift grip instead of a wide one, I don't see it as a problem as the powerlifter then uses more weight. So the training effect remains the most effective because the most weight is used.

But let me get to my main point, both now and earlier on, and mention again my zercher squat experience. The key word was accountability, and the difficulty with it with a too varied exercise selection. Of course the zercher squat is good for me. I got stronger with it. But the strength gain doesn't correlate with the development of the zercher squat alone; the strength was 99% there already, I just learned how to put it into use with this exercise. If I had done the ZS for only two weeks, two times, I believe I wouldn't have got stronger. The time was too short for such a new exercise. I can pick any exercise that's new for me, and I will of course lift more weight during the first weeks training it. But it may not necessarily make me stronger. In my, admittedly inexperienced, viewpoint the Westside method is a really hard method for an advanced athlete. It demands a high level of technical proficiency in each lift done and it must be done really hard, there are no easy maximum effort days, I should put everything on the line two days a week. I'm not sure I'm up to it. In a sense I have been doing something similar after my last meet, I've done 1-3RM days with floor press, close grip bench, bench, deadlift, snatch grip deadlift, high bar narrow stance beltless pause squat (ugh!), zercher lift, wide stance low bar squat, overhead press, behind the neck press, good morning and maybe something else I've forgotten. But in the end I will decide if I've been successful or not by whether my powerlifts get better or not. They are the baseline. I need a spot to measure from, the various lifts on their own won't do on such a program.

But I think we're pretty much on the same page.

Indeed @ Antti. A lot of valid points and I always enjoy strength talk. Your contributions definitely add to this forum and I appreciate them, for such is the reason an interactive forum exists. I would very much like to extend this discussion but it is late and I must work tomorrow but I'm sure we'll have other great ones in the future. Stay strong, my friend!

One last thing, it's interesting to note the number of strength athletes who seem to jump between multiple disciplines of strength and excel. We've all ready covered the Bill Starr coming from Olympic lifting and out deadlifting all the seasoned lifters but we also have the likes of Eddie Hall, Thor, Kaz, Larry Wheels who go from strongman, to oly lifting, to powerlifting to bodybuilding, etc. It seems that "strength" can transcend specific disciplines quite well.

Westside for Stinky Bachelors

ME Upper Body

Warmup
Arm Circles, Push-Up Plus, rotations, cat/camels

A1)Med Ball Throw x 3
A2)K-Bell Arm bars
A3) Band Ys, Rows

B1) Floor Press (ring finger on rings)
Bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 175 x 5, 185 x , 195 x 5, 200 x 5, 205 x 5

C1) Dips (Bw)
25, 15

D1) Chest Supported Rows
45 x 15, 55 x 15, 12, 12

D2) Rear Delt FLies
10 lbs x 10, 5 lbs. x 10,10,10

E1) Elbows Out Ext
35 lbs x 12, 10, 8

E2) D-bell Curls
35 lbs x 6, 5, 4

Good day. Floor press was the specialty exercise today. I've decided that moving my grip in on horizontal presses will be done. I've used a fairly wide grip on all my benches but the close grip is weaker for me and puts the press through a greater range of motion. Also, I haven't done much triceps work in the past. I wonder if they are a weak link in my bench press chain, but I can't say what is for sure. Everything is probably a bit weak. My best floor press is 225 x 5 with my wide comp grip (Pointer on rings). I did many more sets today for the ME than I did last Friday for ME Lower. I think it's good to get a little more volume in. Floor press felt pretty good. I'll repeat it again next week. The 205 felt strong, close to failure but form didn't break. If I'd attempted another rep, I would've grinded. I know typical Westside is to truly grind that last rep. I think this should be reserved for more advanced powerlifters who are all ready really strong and proficient in their ME exercises. I have a ways to go motor learning wise, and I believe my floor press will improve for at least a couple more weeks just from training it, as well as my Yoke Bar Squats.

Did dips as my RE second move. I think it's good to do one BW movement for this a week, as the second week is pressing the free weights. That way I get a bit more variety and don't overstress my shoulders with repetitive movements. Hit back pretty good. Did a few more sets to even out the pressing and got a nice back pump! Arms were last. Nothing crazy, just more pump work.

Overall, good training session! Next Tuesday is DE Lower day, power cleans and a few assistance as to not detract from ME day on Friday.

Westside for Sinking Badgers

DE Lower Day

Power Cleans
135 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 3 x 5 sets

Step Ups
20 lbs x 10,10 30 lbs x 10

GHR
Bw x 20, 15

Suitcase DL
135 x 6, 6

Good training day. LOVE doing power cleans. Forgot how much the power exercises make me feel....powerful? 185 felt like the perfect weight. Explosive and fast but a bit tiring as I took pretty short rest breaks. Also, my thighs and clavicle are a bit beat up by the bar as I contact both during this lift! That's okay, felt very strong. My traps will probably be sore.

I've included step ups to work on single leg balance. I have definite asymmetries between my right and left side. Interesting comparisons here. My left leg is a lot more stable during single leg Rdl's. My right leg seems to do better during knee extension moves like pistols. During squats, I feel my right leg does a lot more work, and my right side has felt a little beat up at times near the hip, oblique glute area. Also interesting to note, in high school I long jumped off my left foot and high jumped off my right. Clearly, both have different strengths and weakness. I've included some easy single leg work in my warmups like single leg RDL's and "shrimp squats" to balance them out.

Step ups are more like step down. I don't actually put any weight on the non working leg when I get to the bottom, so it's a very controlled eccentric, light tap and fast return. Definitely easier on the right leg, so I did the left leg first. It started coming around balance wise, and felt okay to up the weight for last set.

Was stronger on GHR than I thought. Thought about doing swings because people were lingering around the GHR machine, but swings were too similar to the power cleans so instead did these bad boys. Once again, my hamstrings will be sore tomorrow. Hopefully they will recover fast enough to not interfere with ME day on Friday.

Suitcase DL's were last as my "ab" exercise. I wanted a lift that trained core and grip simultaneously, as suggested by Dan John. The lats get a little work here too. I think it is also a good move to balance out other strength discrepancies that may be apparent from bilateral work. Felt good today! Next day, RE day on Thursday!

Interesting discoveries so far.

-The power clean is an underrated bicep exercise. I notice today my biceps are sore and the only explanation is the eccentric portion of the power clean caused this Pavel mentioned in BB that the power clean is a "manly" arm exercise. I didn't understand until now. You basically do a reverse curl eccentric with 185 pounds when returning to the start.

-I've neglected the importance of unilateral work until recently. Despite my thoughts my hams would be sore, today my legs are in solid shape, now it's my traps, biceps and midsection that are feeling it. Unilateral work is not only great for evening out balances, but it may be the best way to train "the core" and unload the spine.

-Variety has left me feeling incredibly fresh. In the past week, I know nearly every major muscle group has been sore, but my overall body's "mood" has been greatly positive. I look much more muscular, despite not putting on any weight really. if I can "get bigger" without gaining weight, that would be something. My stomach seems to have tightened up for whatever reason. probably because of more work via volume and accessory lifts. But I am nearly always hungry at the same time.

-I deadlifted a bar that was loaded to 305 yesterday to demonstrate technique to a newer lifter who was struggling. No warmup, no prep, no psych. It felt like there was no effort whatsoever. It has been the easiest deadlift I've done in months.

While I am all ready feeling the urge to do my main lifts, I can not. The plan forbids it. I do feel there has been some delayed adaptation response to the 5 x 5 x 5 program. I just think I would've been better off performing it at the end of a westside style cycle or SV type training, instead of after 5/3/1 where I was working them quite regularly anyways.

Week 2 Day 1

Westside for Skimpy Bass Fishermen

Warmup
Arm Circles, Cat Camels

2 rounds
Explosive Pushup x 3
B.U. K-Bell Walks
Bands rows and Y's

A1) Incline K-bell Press
Week1- 53 lbs. - 15, 9, 6 (31)
Week 2- 53 lbs. - 20, 10, 8 (38)

B1) Chinups
Week 1 -10, 8, 6, 6 (30)
Week 2 - 10,10,8,7 (35)

B2)2 Hand K-bell O.H. Press
Week 1 - 35 lbs. - 9, 8, 8 (25)
Week 2 - 35 lbs. - 12, 10, 11 (33)

C1) K-bell High Pull w/ rope
Week 1 - 53 lbs. - 15, 12 (27)
Week 2 - 53 lbs. - 20, 15 (35)

C2) K-bell Rope Curls
Week 1 -53 lbs - 8, 6 (14)
Week2 - 53 lbs. 8, 6 (14)

D1)Triceps Pushdown
Week 1 - A light weight 20, 12
Week 2 - 20, 15

Today was a long day. Before training had a lot going on and getting all my things ready to move to France is definitely becoming stressful, so I've carried a bit of anxiety. It was my last work party with my company and I was a bit sad as I had to leave early to "beat traffic", which didn't happen. I was going to get home early to work on my necessary student work and found there is nothing I can do right now as I'm awaiting several documents, Financial aid apps, my official acceptance letter (I got an email but not the physical copy) to be verified, etc. I wish I'd stayed, as the traffic returning home was just a nightmare. Thus, I was a bit zapped. I've been a little sad despite my new journey to come. I think of all the people, my cats, friends, family that I'm leaving behind. I wonder if it's the last time I'll see my grandmother, who is getting old. My life is going to change radically, assuming that I am able to get all my stuff together!!! I don't have much time and a lot to do before this move. It's constantly on my mind. The problem is I put the pro in procrastinate. Ugh, I'm just hoping I can get it all done on time. I'm putting a lot on the line here.

Training was good. I need it right now to release some of this anxiety. Most of my lifts went up in volume this week with the same weights. That's good and also to be expected, but the main lifts are still the true measure. The only lift that didn't improve was curls, which is okay. Things felt good t the gym. I haven't gained much weight but I know that takes time. I'm thinking in a few weeks, I'll have a little growth spurt, as long as I eat. Times are very strange in my life right now. Not necessarily bad, mostly great in fact. There's just so much going on, so many changes crawling out of the woodworks all the sudden. I just need to keep rolling with them.

I just clicked your name and saw you live in Sacramento. For some reason I thought you were French or lived somewhere nearby France. Pretty big and exciting move for you then. How old are you now? Good job on the lift increases from the first week too!

I just clicked your name and saw you live in Sacramento. For some reason I thought you were French or lived somewhere nearby France. Pretty big and exciting move for you then. How old are you now? Good job on the lift increases from the first week too!

Haha my name is most certainly French! But my father was from Canada, and I've always lived in California. Never finished my higher education as I was unsure of what I wanted to pursue. Just worked many, many different jobs for the past 15 years after graduating high school and some community college. I had all the units needed to transfer and my trip to Paris finally opened my eyes as to where I wanted to go. I am 30!!!! Unbelievable.... thanks man I appreciate it!

Haha my name is most certainly French! But my father was from Canada, and I've always lived in California. Never finished my higher education as I was unsure of what I wanted to pursue. Just worked many, many different jobs for the past 15 years after graduating high school and some community college. I had all the units needed to transfer and my trip to Paris finally opened my eyes as to where I wanted to go. I am 30!!!! Unbelievable.... thanks man I appreciate it!
Good stuff man. I think that age is a good time to study. Still young but more mature than the 18-21 year old crowd that goes straight into university. Should be awesome!

I don't have much time and a lot to do before this move. It's constantly on my mind.

I understand you have mixed feelings about leaving your old life (for a while) with all the habits, people and familiar stuff. But man, moving to Paris with all the amazing food, the beautiful temperamental women, the special parisian light that hits the 800 year old buildings and the opportunity to learn new interesting things ... sounds like a very good time to be you. (y)
Have you considered just getting rid of all your old stuff and just taking a single bag with you, leaving nothing behind?
I did this when I built my tiny house. Sold everything I owned of value, threw or gave away the rest, bought building materials and slept at the construction site until I had finished building. It's a very liberating feeling not having all this stuff weighing you down, just hurts a little bit when selling them. ;)
Sure, I sometimes miss my record collection, but everything is on spotify, all my books is available online, old family heirlooms and "cool stuff" have been sold and transformed into a nice living and sometimes happiness. And I still have the pictures of the stuff that brings back the same emotions and memories as the things them selfs, and looking forward and doing new things is more fun than looking back.

And another thing... pressing a 24kg 20 times in one set? Isn't it time to up the weight then?

Bonne chance!

I understand you have mixed feelings about leaving your old life (for a while) with all the habits, people and familiar stuff. But man, moving to Paris with all the amazing food, the beautiful temperamental women, the special parisian light that hits the 800 year old buildings and the opportunity to learn new interesting things ... sounds like a very good time to be you. (y)
Have you considered just getting rid of all your old stuff and just taking a single bag with you, leaving nothing behind?
I did this when I built my tiny house. Sold everything I owned of value, threw or gave away the rest, bought building materials and slept at the construction site until I had finished building. It's a very liberating feeling not having all this stuff weighing you down, just hurts a little bit when selling them. ;)
Sure, I sometimes miss my record collection, but everything is on spotify, all my books is available online, old family heirlooms and "cool stuff" have been sold and transformed into a nice living and sometimes happiness. And I still have the pictures of the stuff that brings back the same emotions and memories as the things them selfs, and looking forward and doing new things is more fun than looking back.

And another thing... pressing a 24kg 20 times in one set? Isn't it time to up the weight then?

Bonne chance!

Ha yes. It is just my old ways clinging to me. I am ecstatic about having this opportunity to move to Paris for all those reasons!!!. I know it is the place I want to be. I would give away, sell, toss, my stuff, but honestly there's not much! I am certainly bringing my guitar and enough clothes. Laptop because I need it for school, but yeah not much else!

And yes, it is rather light! Sadly...it's the heaviest k-bell at the gym! :( But I also feel for the assistance lifts on Repetition day, I prefer to up the reps with the same weight then up the weight! It's easier to calculate progress this way for me and keeps me less grizzled by heavier weights, especially with my shoulder thing going on. I feel the RE day is supposed to have much contrast to the ME day as well and higher reps fit the bill here.

Last edited:
Day 2 Week 2

Westside for Flimsy Platters

ME Lower Body
Warmup
Leg, Ankle, hip circles

2 Rounds
High Jump x 3
Double-K-bell B.U. Squat x 3
H.F. Stretch

Yoke bar Squat
Week 1-Bar x 5, 155 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 5, 245 x 5
Week 2- Bar x 5, 115 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 225 x 3, 245 x 1, 260 x 5

RDL
Week 1 - 135 x 12, 12 ,12 (36)
Week 2 - 135 x 15, 15, 12 (42)

B.S.S
Week 1 - 25 lbs. K-bell x 12, 12, 12 (36)
Week 2 - 25 lbs. K-bell x 15, 12, 10 (37)

Standing Cable Crunch
Week 1 -3 x 5 (heavy, obviously)
Week 2 - 3 x 5 (heavy again)

Many more sets with the main lift today than last week. This is good, but tiring. Dropped the reps on the last warmup sets so I'd have the freshness for the main set, which went well. I think next week, I'll put the belt on for the main set and try 275. A good improvement so far. Haven't dine anything in Olympic shoes in a while. Widened my grip on the RDl's a bit, as the bar was reaching the floor with the regular grip. Focused a little more on pushing my knee over toes on the B.S.S as opposed to sitting back, to bias the quads a little more. Heavy cable crunches, then stretching and home to eat!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom