all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

I read up on the Westside method, and one of the questions I had is when is a lifter sufficiently advanced to switch to it. Perhaps this was discussed in the write up and I missed it. Also, it's not like I'm considering switching to the program, my curiosity is just insatiable ;)

I did find the Weightlifting Performance Standards for each of the main lifts, which I found quite interesting. I was a little below "untrained" in pretty much every lift before beginning lifting weights again ~5 months ago. Now I'm ~"novice" in everything except the squat, which I haven't been training. I guess that tracks about right, and it's helpful to have some general guidelines on progress.

If you know how to strain and go for a PR and can do it with a single lift two weeks or more in a row routinely, you're not advanced.

It's best to take those standards with a grain of salt. But sure, nothing bad in general guidelines.

I read up on the Westside method, and one of the questions I had is when is a lifter sufficiently advanced to switch to it. Perhaps this was discussed in the write up and I missed it. Also, it's not like I'm considering switching to the program, my curiosity is just insatiable ;)

I did find the Weightlifting Performance Standards for each of the main lifts, which I found quite interesting. I was a little below "untrained" in pretty much every lift before beginning lifting weights again ~5 months ago. Now I'm ~"novice" in everything except the squat, which I haven't been training. I guess that tracks about right, and it's helpful to have some general guidelines on progress.

For the first ten years of my training, I pretty much eschewed Westside. I think you're ready for it when "it finally makes sense". You must go through a lot of training to get to that point. You need to really understand programming, what lifts work for you and don't. Even then, what I'm doing isn't "true" westside, as only such is done at the actual Westside facility. There is no reason for anyone in beginner status to rotate lifts every week or three weeks even.

Mark Rippetoe somewhere posted how Westside was a good step after completing Starting Strength and the Texas Method. Even in such programs, one will not be very proficient in Supplemental lifts like front squats and incline presses. I would say a good method that is "kind of" westside would be to just utilize a linear progression of 5's with a supplemental lift like FS or IP over the course of weeks until the lift doesn't progress, than either cycle back and go for another P.R. over the course of weeks again, or do another lift like Floor Press and High Bar squats. Rinse and repeat. Pretty much like "Reload" here at SF. Also, D.E. is much more effective for super strong dudes, who's numbers are so high that getting volume in the main lifts is better done with very low weights like 50%. The D.E. day was implemented to replace a second M.E. day because the lifters were feeling so beat up. Honestly, I think for intermediates, a volume day or R.E. day would be better here, especially for upper body. I utilize power movements, ab work and single leg work on my D.E. lower day.

Day 2 Week 2

Westside for Sinister Pastures

ME Upper

Warmup
Circles, Neck Rolls, Shoulder Rolls

Explosive Bench Pushup, B.U. K-Bell Floor Press, Band No Money's/Straight Arm Pulldowns

A1) Decline Bench
135 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 1, 225 x 3

B1) Flat Dumbbell Press (feet up)
60 x 10, 50 x 10 (20)

C1)Seal Rows
95 x 12, 135 x 12,12,10 (46)

C2)Prone Trap Raise
2.5 lbs x 12,12,12,12 (48)

D1)Seated Dumbbell Cleans
15 lbs x 20, 15 (35

D3)Incline Curl
15 lbs. x 15, 10 (25)

Interesting day. Decline felt pretty good but I overestimated my strength. The warmup sets felt very solid. According to most the Decline bench should be a bit stronger than the regular bench, however, mine's just on par with my regular bench it seems. The decline I was using wasn't actually that slanted, not too dissimilar to a flat bench. It does feel better on the shoulders. I feel it's a good ME move for a few reasons. It takes away a few of my strengths. My shoulders are stronger than my chest, as evidence of my incline and overhead numbers in comparison to my bench press. It takes the shoulders a bit more out of the lift on the decline, as flexion demands are lowered as the torso angle closes the arm angle. So my weaker chest is forced to do more. Leg drive is also not possible with the decline meaning my actual pressing muscles get more work. It also is very easy on the shoulders. These are plusses. The only issue with the bench I used is that the upper portion where my back sits is narrower than where the legs rest. It's hard for me to stable on the bench, and looking at the video, I can see my right shoulder "off of the bench". This made me feel a bit unstable. So I'll try to work on my back tightness for subsequent M.E. days. Also, I'm not sure what to do for the next one, as I only hit 3 reps. I could continue with the low reps, or drop to a heavy 5 next week then try to go heavier on week 3. We shall see.

Dumbbell presses are a bit tough for me. You can see my past weeks, incline kettlebell presses with not much more weight allowed more reps than the dumbbells. I think this is once again a shoulder stability issue which I am ever attempting to remedy. The kettlebell is so much more stable to me. I'll drop the weight next week for these, probably to the 50's and do more reps.

I really like the seal rows. The back works hard! The prone trap raises are in actuality very difficult, but they hit the sad, neglected lower traps which will hopefully help my sad little bench press.

More upper back work with the seated cleans to help strengthen all those back muscles/rotators. Incline curls sure do burn!

Day 4 Week 1 Cycle 2

Westside for Hippy Cadavers

D.E. Lower

A1) Power Snatch to Hang Power Snatch
115 lbs. x 1+1 x 10 sets (20)

B1) Front Rack Reverse Lunge
2 x 25 lbs. K-bell
15 x 3 sets (45)

C1) Glute Ham Raise
12, 7 (19)

D1) Russian Twists
Bar x 5, 65 x 5 x 3 sets

Man the Power Snatches felt great. The one thing I love about the D.E. Lower day is how violent, aggressive and explosive the lifts feel. 115 sounded about right, although I haven't done them in a while. Didn't warmup, just threw it on and threw em up. Started from the floor for the first rep, then did a hang rep for the second part, mimicking the great Pyrros Dimas' training. Felt really great to throw a bar overhead. Primal.

Did my single leg work and G.H. raises, which were harder today than the previous cycle. I think the pad in which the knees are supported were in a different spot, and this time I practiced extending the hips more and squeezing the glutes. This made it more challenging and incredibly hard on the hams and glutes. I think I'm going to trade in the single leg work on Friday's workout for a more "quad" specific move, like hack squats and leg presses. I haven't done either in probably over a decade. SO it'll be a new stimulus, and it's been hard to grow my quads on just squats, of any type really. My glutes just keep getting bigger though...

Russian twists were an interesting challenge. Very hard on the sides of the midsection. A nice new exercise for these guys. So today is becoming an explosive lower, plus single leg, single joint and obliques work, while M.E. day will be all heavier moves, GM, RDL's for assistance number 1, Hack Squats/Leg Presses for assistance number 2 and abdominal work for the last lift.

Snatches

Day 1 Week 2

Westside for Chinny Waxers

Arm Circles, Neck Rolls, Yoga Pushups, T Pushups

2 Rounds
1) Ballistic Smith Machine Bench Throws
105 x 3, 3

2) B.U. K.B. Bench Press
25 lbs x 5, 5

3) Band Circuit
Overhead Y, Reverse Flies, Elbows out Rows, Elbows in Rows

A1) Bench Press
Bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 12, 10, 8 (30)

B1) Chinups
13, 10, 10, 8 (41)

B2) Single Arm K.B. O.H. Press
45 lbs. x 17, 15, 12 (44)

C1) Cuban Press
65 lb. 10, 10

C2) K-Bell Ext on Floor
35 x 10, 10

C3)Barbell Curls
65 lbs. x 8, 8

D1) D-bell incline Flies
10 lbs. x 10, 10

Good session today. Was feeling tired before training but did pretty well. Upped my first bench set by two reps and overall reps by 5. 30 this week vs. 25 last week. Nice. Upper back band work seems to be helping something on my bench, although for some unknown reason I had soreness in my front delt. Russian twists perhaps? Noticed my arms are locking out at the same time. This is good, as my right arm usually has lagged behind since my injury. I think I've realized the reason. Since that injury, I've always focused on just my right side during bench press. Made sure my right side shoulder was placed correctly, squeezed tight in the upper back, etc. Today during warmup I was doing the same then I thought, what would happen if I focused on my left side harder? When I did so, my right side was actually locking out first! I think the focus on my right side actually made it take more of the weight! My torso would lean in that direction and I'd expect my right arm to be the weak side. In doing so, my left arm would cruise and my right arm would struggle. Now, with this thought, maybe forcing my left arm to do more will help my strength overall. We shall see. Bench felt strong and I had a few more reps in there for the R.E. move.

After benching did the rest. Did quite a bit more on the shoulder press today than last week. Then some upper back work. Chins felt better as I went a long. I usually die out after one high rep set but seemed to maintain strength a bit better today. Added in some flies. Feel some extra isolation for the chest ma y do some good. Nothing crazy, just some light stretches and squeezes.

Day 3 Week 2

Westside for Winning Raptors

ME Lower

Warmup
Leg Circles, Hip Openers, Ankle Rotations

2 Rounds
Broad Jump x 3
Double K-Bell F.S. - 2 x 53 K.B.s x 3
H.F. Stretches

A1) Zercher Squat
135 x 3, 225 x 2, 275 x 1, 315 x 5

B1) Good Mornings
135 x 15, 15, 15

C1) Hack Squat
Drop set -2 Plates x 10, 1 Plate x 10, Machine x 10

D1) Ab Wheel Rollouts
8 x 3 sets

Zerchers today. Strong but I was a little off balance. A few reps, the bar touches my right side knee before my left side. So my left side doesn't get as deep. It's hard to be perfectly symmetrical on this lift, doing it from the floor, but I believe it will transfer better to the deadlift this way. I sometimes have an issue grabbing the bar evenly too. The nature of my lifting style, and my feet often point in different angles. Nevertheless, the last reps were better than the second and third because of this. The bar was really killing my arms today! It's odd, I don't know which muscle group struggles the most when it gets hard, as the lift disperses the weight among so many muscle groups. I think my upper back actually gets it the hardest, as well as abs, as the weight feels heavy in my arms, but not too bad on my legs and hips.

Good mornings were next and instead of upping the weight or reps, I slowed the eccentric until I could lower no more than exploded. Once again, it's hard to get both legs to feel the same on every rep. Sometimes my left feels it more, sometimes my right. One thing's for sure as that my "core" seems to get a lot of work from these.

Hack Squat was really great. I haven't felt my "quads" work so hard in so long. I was so weak on these, I only loaded two plates on each side for my top set, and just did drop sets from there because I wanted to be done with them. I actually had some thighs after doing them. Still, I felt a little glute kicking in when the going got tough. I have no idea how, as very little, if any, hip extension occurs through the movement. Anyways, I'll keep it.

Got better at ab rollouts. Found tightening my lats definitely helped. Had an abdominal pump after, whatever that means.

Day 3 Week 2

Westside for Pimply Track Stars

Warmup
Arm Circles, K-Bell Halos, Yoga Pushups, Cat Camels

2 Rounds
Explosive Pushup off Bench - 3,3
K-Bell B.U. Bench 25 lbs. - x 5,5
Band Ys, External Rotations, Rear Flies

A1) Decline Bench
Bar x 3, 95 x 3, 135 x 3, 185 x 3, 215 x 1, 230 x 4 (last week 225 x 3)

B1) D-Bell Feet Up Bench
50 lbs. - 15, 9 (24)

C1) Seal Rows
95 x 15, 115 x 12, 12, 15

C2)Seated D-Bell Cleans
15 lbs. x 15 x 3 sets

D1) Incline Curls
15 lbs. x 15,15

D2)Overhead Tri Extensions
Light weight x 20, 30

Decline Bench went very well today. Added 5 lbs. and a rep to last weeks' lift. Only expected to get three MAYBE, but ended up hitting it for 4 reps. This is good. I felt a bit better on the bench. Maybe I've just adjusted a bit to the odd angle but I paid a little more attention to the set up, technique, bench position. I feel I've always thought a bit too much about the lowering phase. Instead today, I really just gripped the bar hard and tried to pull it apart. The bar path took care of itself after that and the 215 single went up really fast.

Lowered the weight on dumbbells. Paused reps at the bottom and squeezed the weights up. My right arm still locks out a bit slowly compared to my left. I also focused harder on my left in these sets because I feel my left side never really gets pushed to it's limits, as my right side holds it back a bit. So it helped to actually feel that side working. This was a much better working weight and got a good chest pump.

Dropped the Y's and instead put the dumbbell cleans here so I could do light triceps work at the end. I all ready do Band Y's which I think give the lower traps a nice little "pick me up". Also lowered the weight on the rows and really squeezed the back hard. A little asymmetrical on this lift as well. My right arm tucks more and my left arm flares. Tried hard to make them work in unison and was successful.

Light arm work for a light pump, then a bit of stair master just cuz. Really happy with the M.E. work today as last week felt like a true max effort and wasn't sure if I'd improve but I did by a good bit!

Day 4 Week 2 Cycle 2

Westside for Mini Grafters

D.E. Lower

Warmup
Empty Bar-PBN/O.H Squat

A1)Snatch grip High Pull + Power Snatch
135 x 1+1 x 8 sets

B1)Front Rack DBLE K.B. Reverse Lunge
2 x 25 lbs K.B. x 12 x 3 sets

B2)G.H. Raises

C1)Russian Twists
95 x 5,5

Was tired today. Almost talked myself out of going to train but I always end up going. School stuff has been relentless. Moving to a different country is a lot of work! It can be exhausting, frustrating and anxiety inducing. I have been on edge as deadlines are approaching, but I'm getting there slowly and surely. Today is not my favorite day, and in actuality is very demanding despite not much heavy lifting or volume. The snatch was strong and feels good, but afterwards I feel drained. Did a high pull, let the bar down then power snatch. It's quite fun. Some reps feel better than others.

Single leg work is hard. I'd rather do a compound lift to be honest, but I think it'll benefit in the long run. It helps iron out imbalances and while forcing each limb to work separately, I can't compensate as much as I do in my squats and deads, as I've found my right side takes more on these lifts. G.H. raises, also tiring and on top of that after super-setting these, Russian twists are heck when you're out of breath. Came in quick and left quicker. I'm usually glad to get this one out of the way, while I usually excitedly await every other training day.

Day 1 Week 3 Cycle 2

Westside for Dwindling Haggards

R.E. Upper

Warmup
Arm Circles/Rotations/Cat-Camel/Pushups with T-Rot

2 Rounds
Band Y's/E.R's/Reverse Flies
Ballistic Bench 105 lbs. x 3
K.B. B.U. Press 25 lbs x 3

A1) Bench Press
Bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 13.9, 9, 9

B1) Chin-ups
15,12,10,8 (45)

B2) One Arm K-Bell O.H. Press
45 lbs. x 20, 12, 20 (52)

C1) Cuban Press
65 lbs. x 10,10

C2) Tri Ext.
35 lbs. x 10, 10

C3)Barbell Curls
65 lbs. x 10,6

13.9 rep 185 bench P.R.
My spotter and I had a good laugh about this one.

Day 2 Week 3 Cycle 2

M.E. Lower

Warmup
Hip Circles, Ankle Rolls,

2 Rounds
Vertical Jumps x 3
D.K.B. F.S. 2 x 55 lbs x 3
H.F. Stretch

Zercher Squat
135 x 2, 225 x 2, 295 x 1, 335 x 0,0 335 x 3 off rack

Good Mornings
135 x 10 x 3 sets

Hack Squat
2 Plates x 15, 1 plate x 15, Empty x 15 (triple drop set)

Hanging Knee Raises
15 x 2 sets

Oh man, terribly exhausted today. Work started at 4 A.M. so up by 3, and I probably got to bed by 11. An odd occurrence on Zerchers which has never happened. After the lift to knees, my legs could not take the 335 for the transition! They literally buckled, and I'm lucky to not have torn anything. Needless to say, this was unexpected. I did my set off the racks today. Not the same, but close enough. 335 was a bit ambitious after 315 last week, but even the pull off the floor didn't feel solid. I think two weeks is better for this lift. For comparison, my previous 5RM on this lift was 275, so it's gotten wayyyy better. Also, I feel these first cycles for each lift are to see where I'm at. thus, this let's me know what to aim for in upcoming cycles. 315 felt easy, 335 felt impossible, as far as the full cycle went. 335 was a nightmare to my arms. I believe upper back strength may have been a key factor in this lift. Also, the fact that my knees were incredibly taxed when I set the bar on them, I think this may have been because I rushed the initial transition phase and didn't place them in the correct spot. I felt off balance, forward on my feet. There is a right place to set the bar, and I didn't find it after two fails. So now I know what to beat next time. Was pretty beat after this, but I did manage to up my hack squat volume. Everything else, I took it easy on. Front Squats next M.E. I am thinking I want to incorporate some sort of pull on M.E. day and have 4 lifts in rotation for a while. To knee dominant and two hip dominant, alternated for two weeks each. I'm thinking either deficit pulls (conventional) or Snatch Grip Deadlifts. We shall see. So it'd be set up like so

Safety Bar Squat-2 weeks
Zercher Squat- 2 weeks
Front Squat - two weeks
Dead Var- 2 weeks

I would adjust the assistance work to target muscles/patterns not worked as hard in the main lift in doing so. I.e GM/Rdl's after front/safety bar squats and Goblet/Leg Press after zerchers/deads.

New M.E. Upper Day, week 6

Westside for Singing Baritones

Warmup
Arm Circles, shoulder rolls, neck rolls, pushups (yoga, AT, cat camels)

2 Rounds
Plyo Pushup x 3
K.b. Arm Bar
Band Y, E.R.'s, Reverse Flies

A1) Close Grip Bench, Feet on bench (Pinky on rings)
Bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5, 195 x 5, 205 x 5

B2) Inc Dumbbell Press
40 lbs x 20, 12

C1) Inverted Rows (BW)
20, 15, 12

C2)Rear Delt Cable Flies
10 lbs x 12,12,10

D1) French Press
65 lbs x 15, 12

D2) Hammer Curls
35 lbs x 8, 6

A little rushed today as it was my uncle's bday and family was going out to eat (great post workout meal coming up!) Close grip bench felt good. Oddly, my regular, strong grip bench p.r. before this was 215 x 5, leg drive, wide grip et al. My close grip is not that far behind, for me not training it for a while. The feet up takes a bit of my arch away and the ability to heave the bar with my body. The close grip makes the lift longer. Good ways to take away my strengths. Happy with the top set. May try 215 next week. Going lighter with dumbbells. I feel this is better after the heavier work and is easy on my poor shoulder. I also feel the muscle working better. Inverted rows are harder than I recall. I was very near the ground, but my best set is the same as my overhand pullup. This should not be, but it tells me what I all ready knew. My lats are stronger than my upper back. Hit a couple sets of arms and motored off to dinner. We ate at a Japaenese Grill where the chefs cook on a large grill right in front of you. I ordered sushi, knowing full well I'd be asked to finish everyone else's meal....plus the ice cream my uncle got for his 86th birthday. All in all I ate one flaming dragon roll (which was literally lit on fire), garlic fried rice with eggs, some steak, some bbq chicken, an assortment of vegetables (zuchinni, carrots, broccoli, grilled onions plus a raw piece of broccoli that the chef flung into my mouth and I caught), some shrimp, one Tsingtao and the ice cream sundae. I was nearly satisfied afterwards.

Literal flaming dragon roll- salmon, tuna, avocado, grilled onions, jalapenos, imitation crab and I always eat sushi with wasabi! I was wondering how I'd unwrap the scorching aluminum foil and realized they had peppered it with dry ice. Nice! Also, this picture is blurry...sorry.
IMG_2403.JPG

How hard do you have it in the zercher squat bottom position, after the deadlift? I wouldn't say that it's comfortable, but I don't know if it's so bad. I can easily take my time there in the squat before starting the ascent. I checked it and I think there was 15 seconds between getting the bar on my thighs and me starting the ascent from the squat. I just wonder if we're doing it somehow differently.

Back
Top Bottom