all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

How hard do you have it in the zercher squat bottom position, after the deadlift? I wouldn't say that it's comfortable, but I don't know if it's so bad. I can easily take my time there in the squat before starting the ascent. I checked it and I think there was 15 seconds between getting the bar on my thighs and me starting the ascent from the squat. I just wonder if we're doing it somehow differently.[/QUOTEi

It is usually no problem. With 315, no issue. 335, terrible. But I rushed the deadlift part and lowering into legs because it felt heavy. There were many factors too. Lack of sleep, first time doing direct heavy quad work week before, too big of weight jump. I think overall my body was just saying nope, don't even wanna do this at all right now

Day 1

Upper Body R.E. Day

Arm Circles, Pushups, Cat/Camels

2 Rounds
Plyo Pushup x 3
K.B. Armbars
Band Y's, E.R.s, Reverse Flies

A1) K-Bell Floor Press on Foam Roller
53 lbs. x 20, 10, 7

B1) Pullups
12, 10, 10, 10

B2) BTN Press
95 lbs x 12, 10, 10

C1) High Pulls
65 lbs. x 20, 12

C2) E.z Bar Curls
65 lbs. x 12, 8

D1) Cable pressdowns
20 x 25, 25

Did the floor presses with the foam roller up my T-spine. Allows a longer R.O.M and more scapular movement. My strength after the first set dropped a bit. Slow eccentrics, a pause and squeeze. Good chest work and tri's. Pullups with double overhand felt strong, been doing chins of some sort every cycle and they're getting stronger. BTN press was a bit harder than I expected, because it's been a while but nonetheless one of my favorites. Some more upper back and arm work for light pump and done.

Day 2

M.E. Lower

Hip Swings, Ankle Circles

2 Rounds
Vertical Leap x 3
D.B. K-Bell B.U. Front Squat x 25 lbs. x 3
H.F. Stretch

M.E. Lift
A1) Front Squat
Bar x 3, 95 x 3, 135 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 3, 205 x 3, 225 x 3, 235 x 3, 245 x 3

B1) RDL off platform w/ pause at bottom
185 x 8, 225 x 8 x 3 sets

C1) Hack Squat
2 Plates 15 x 2 sets

D1) Weighted Crunches
35 lbs x 5,5,5

Good Front squat session. Definitely a P.R. and the most I've front squatted. I like to keep front squats to 3 reps or less, as form goes a little bit from back fatigue. Thus 3's will be where I do them. Did a lot of warmup sets and the first few didn't rest very much, but I got a lot of top sets in over 90 %. Next week, I will do less volume but a higher max set. RDL's off platform to really get the bottom for deadlift strength off the floor. Feel my hammies lack strength in the stretched position and this had me feeling it. Should help off the floor, my weakest portion. In fact, all my pulling will be off elevation. After front squats, I will do conventional off a platform for my M.E. for a single. hack squats never really get easier...but also did them after heavy front squats so my quads were a bit tired anyways. Got an ab cramp from weighted crunches. Haven't done crunches since the old high school days of bi's bench and abs.

Last edited:
Day 3 Week 2

Westside for Chippy Matadors

Arm Circles, Cat/Camels, Shoulder rolls

2 Rounds
Plyo Pushup x 3
B.U. K.B. Press x 3
Band Y's, E.R.s, Rear Delt Flies x 10 each

M.E. Lift
Close Grip Bench (Feet up)
Bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 165 x 3, 185 x 2, 205 x 1, 215 x 4

A1) Inc D-bell Press
45 lbs. x 18, 11

B1) Inverted Rows
BW x 25, 18, 12

B2) Rear Cable Flies
10 lbs x 15, 12, 12

C1) French Press
65 lbs. x 15, 12

C2) Hammer Curl
30 x 6, 6

A little sluggish today, last day of work week. CGB didn't feel as solid but managed to up the weight 10 lbs. and almost match the reps. The rest was business as usual. Incline dumbbells with a bit more weight than last week. Back and arms, the usual. Next M.E. lifgt will be incline press, then I will start the cycle over again, using two weeks for lifts, or one. We shall see. I feel one may be enough, even for incline press because I really feel the freshest and strongest o n each lift the first week, except for decline, which I haven't done in ages. The others seem to be good for one week, and even after doing decline this last cycle, I may move to one week again now that I've gone through all of them. We shall see, I may have to play it by ear. if I P.R. on incline, I'll leave it where it is and move back to floor press the following week. My best set of 5 on incline is 190 so we will do 195 next week. While most of my lifts are geared for a raw, they are in the same ballpark as one another in terms of load. I am flirting with the idea of alternating a lighter lift (close grip bench, incline press) with a heavier lift (Board press) for a bit of variety, but I will hold off and push the lifts I have right now for a while. Probably to the extent of 1RM's across the board.

Day 4

D.E. Lower

A1) Speed Deadlift (Elevated Conventional)
225 + Red Bands
1 x 8 sets

B1) Zercher box Squat
5 x 3 sets @ 225 lbs

3 rounds
C1) Hyperextensions
BW x 10

C2) Tug O War Row
60 x 10, 80 x 10, 100 x 12

C3) Leg Raises
BW x 5

Doing some more pulls. Getting some groove for my deadlift and working on my starting speed. I am beginning to find my dynamic effort day a good opportunity to work the main lifts with light-ish weights. Wanted to cut the fat on accessory work a little bit. In rethinking these exercises, instead of thinking in terms of "hypertrophy", which is indeed welcome, I am thinking of them as movement amplifiers and weak position enhancement. The zercher box squat is light enough to enforce a good technique and focus on leg drive off floor, while the hyperextensions are for hamstring end range strength. It's easy to cheat and use my back on this lift, but when done aiming for the hammies, it makes a killer hamstring strengthener. I feel back work is important, so I've added this to the second assistance spot. A lot of extra leg work is really draining, especially when doing "pump" work. I may cycle in single leg lifts for the supplemental move at certain points. The point is doing what I believe my body needs at certain times. Leg raises also are a grind movement instead of pump, and lifting your hips a bit at the end really get the tension going, or else I just feel my hip flexors doing too much. It is nice to pull and not feel hit by a truck afterwards. The practice is need, and I was trying to pay attention to hip position, which I thought was a bit too low, but on reflection, if it's any higher, my hips will be parallel to my shoulders...Also, I am on a deficit, so I need to get a little lower to start the lift.

Thoughts on speed work

While my intent is to move as fast as possible, I am also aware of the fact that a heavy deadlift will not move as fast as possible, but the intent to do so is still there. These D.E. sessions not only allow me to work technique with a lighter weight, but they allow me to practice the ritual, aggression, and the mindset of going to pull the bar with everything. Grinding is worked on Friday, in a less demanding lift, but I think another deadstop lift may be incorporated for the deadlift, like Anderson Squats or box squats. We will see.

This program is never set in stone, though there is a basic framework. You have to fire from the hip and make adjustments a lot of the time. however, the principal remains the same. We are aiming to always improve, in one way or another.

Hey @Antti! Life has been busy as of late, work in particular. I've found myself somewhat rolling with many changes at once. As such, I have been training on a different schedule. I've returned to the mostly primitive and basic "home gym" training, i.e. just the barbell. It seems a return to simplicity was needed for me to balance everything right now.

Despite my desire to focus and follow through on specific programs, plans, life keeps throwin' me the curve. As I've navigated through the labyrinth of plotting my progress and growth, I 've found that returning to the basics becomes crucial. Every now and then, it's important to fortify your base.

What I'm doing currently is just heavy lifting often. The lifts are the floor press, clean and press, squat, Pendlay row, and deadlift. The benefits of the home gym has been travel time and an ability for me to take very long breaks in between sets. I'll do a set of deads, some yardwork, clean some dishes, or other chores/tasks then do another set maybe 10-15 minutes later. Since I don't have a rack for squats, an occasional trip to the gym is essential, as well as my occasional need to be social and see some fellows lifters. So far, I clean and press 3 days a week, and floor press 3 days a week, on different days. 6 days of pressing. I do Pendlay Rows with floor press. I squat and pull about every 3 days, alternating each. Some days are heavier and low reps, others are medium/volume i.e. 5 x 5, 3 x 5 or low 2 x 3-5. Here's been my training schedule so far.

Day 1

A1) Pendlay Row
95 x 8, 115 x 8, 135 x 8, 165 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 215 x 5 (Top Set)
165 x 5 x 3 sets (Back off Sets)

A2) Floor Press
95 x 8, 115 x 8, 135 x 8, 165 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 4, 215 x 3 (Top Set)
165 x 5 x 3 sets (B.O. Sets)

Day 2
Clean and Press (narrower grip)
95 x 5, 115 x 5 x 5 (for time < 10 minutes)

Deadlifts (Conventional/D.O.)
115 x 5, 165 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5 x 3 sets

Day 3

A1) Pendlay Rows
95 x 8, 115 x 8, 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5 x 3 sets

A2) Floor Press
95 x 8, 115 x 8, 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5 x 3 sets

Day 4
Clean and Press
95 x 5, 115 x 5, 135 x 5, 145 x 3, 155 x 1

Push Press
155 x 3, 170 x 1

Squat
135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5, 255 x 5, 275 x 5

These last training days have been great because I never push to exhaustion. No high reps, no pump or burn, just the big basic lifts. I will vary volume and intensity as I chug along. So far, doing the lifts everyday has been therapeutic. My neck has felt a little strained, mainly from floor press. The "bridging the bar into position" really can stress this area, but alas after pressing today it feels better. These floor press aren't done with a rack, so they are a bit tougher. It really takes precision to get the bar into proper position to start the lift. I could remedy all of these problems by simply elevating the plates on a raised surface to place the barbell into the proper starting position artificially, but I like the skill part of the lift.

I've found on the floor press, sometimes my elbows feel better in different positions, slight changes help keep me from being stale. I did close grip one of these days, but don't recall which. I like the dead start nature of the floor press. It is easier on my shoulders compared to a bench press. This makes it more appealing, and if I pushup this strength, my pressing gets stronger while my shoulders get to relax from full range benching. I will return to it again, of course, but when it's time. Maybe next phase, maybe not.

My clean and press feels solid, however my push press feels odd. I realize I don't understand how to stabilize the weight after the jump. I rise onto my toes, and for that brief moment, the weight feels not in a strong controlled position to me. I may do some push press practice before pressing next time.

Some of my practices sessions have taken hours. I do not mind this. Even though it's only two lifts, I do things in between and really take my time. I've found breathing exercise that open my chest very useful. I learned this from John Grimek, who used such a method during high rep squatting to "expand his rib cage" and also aid in recovery between sets. I like to lay over a stability ball and just take deep breaths. It works very well. I allow my body to drape and open up over the ball and feel each breath as relaxing and energy enhancing.

I've also tossed in random odd lifts for strictly practice, the bent press being one. My shoulder was hurting the other day, and for some reason I thought the bent press would help and it did. It really did.
I've been treating training sessions more like a simple task one focuses on to execute in the most efficient way. In fact, I've been trying to practice this with all things I do. In this way, I've slowed myself down from rushing through things with anxiety ridden, frantic restlessness. It's been soothing.

In the future of my training, I hope to focus on it as a meditation. And I've enjoyed it very much so far

Day 5
Session 1

Barbell Rows:
95 x 10, 10

Single Arm K-bell Rows
45 lbs. x 10 (or so) per side

Wide Grip Rows:
95 x 10, 10

Rear Delt Plate Flies:
10, 10 x 10 lbs

Plate hang Holds:
35 lbs in both hands + Side Bends

Power clean to press position holds :
95 x 1 hold, 165 x 1, 185 x 1 hold

All pulling exercises today. All light and easy but working the rowing motion. I feel, although they probably build a little muscle, these moves just help me grease the gears of the machine. I also have been practicing a different breathing motion on the rows and breath into the chest, almost like puffing up my chest. I've become interested in "ribcage expansion", in a sense that, for so long I've always breathed into my stomach to prepare for max lifts!

I believe these moves will help strengthen postural patterns and the muscles responsible for them as well. It's a very different lifting approach then the Pendlay rows, which I use for power and aggression. They are a strength lift to me. The plate hold is basically just for stretching and breathing. It's a farmers hold and I let my body uncoil on either side. It's actually quite nice for decompression. Similar to a combo of the Russian hockey deadlift and the Tommy Kono "loosening deadlift"

Cleans were done before presses yesterday, but not enough to tax the movement because my press is weaker than my clean. However, in my clean and press I use a false grip and different catch position. When I clean and don't expect to press, the rack position is more similar to a front squat whereas when I intend to press, my elbows are under the bar. Thus, these holds are at a much lighter weight then I can power clean. The hold is a stability/posture/position lift to help hold heavier weights, in better position for the press. As 185 is my goal, I will hold it often., A clean with a false grip is also more difficult and the catch must be precise. Now, I may do some horizontal pressing later, but now I rest, watch Giants Baseball and drink my shake, which consists of one bananas, oatmeal, peanut butter, ice cream, milk, and some good protein powder made from meat.

Power clean hold in press position

Last edited:
Day 5
Session 2

Floor Press (Close grip, thumb s length from smooth)
95 x 10,
115 x 10,
135 x 10,
150 x8,
165 x 5

Easy sets, all paused. No heavy pressing today, as it was getting dark out, the skeeters/fleas are abound and I'm pressing several days a week. These light sessions are underrated. Got a little pump in the first few sets, then nice solid tight reps. A little volume/lower load and nothing near fatiguing, but getting easy, paused rep work in.

Session 3 (separated by meal + baseball)

Pull to knees (deadlift)
165 x 5
235 x 5

Used to develop a strong deadlift start. It's okay to pull often, if you keep form and use moderate intensity. These are relatively light and only two sets of practice, but a little goes a long ways, especially if you train often. Will need to do light work, a lot of the time. Nothing was really heavy. Heavy, but not hard. Almost seems like a deload day, but it's just practice with lifts that require lighter weights. Pauses, closer grip, starting speed. The pulling work was moderate to heavy, but never too taxing. I liked the last clean hold. Sometimes holding a heavier weight is therapy, and I do like the feeling of holding a heavy weight.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a good program. If I understood it right it's much like GTG. Very nice. Good exercise selection as well.

Later this year, I'm likely also set to have to train a lot at home and make the most of my time in the gym when I get there. I'll do squat, bench and carries on the days I get to the gym, and at home I do rows, presses, zercher squats, shrugs, deadlifts, what else.

Day 6

Day off, work around the house. Room to randomly insert training in between tasks

Task 1
Awake, Brush teeth, restroom, coffee, read news.
Dishes to clean because dishwasher broken and pipe backing up. Very little water usage and hand scrubbing of all utensils, plates, and dishware.

Lifting Break

53 lbs. K-Bell swings x 20
45 lbs. K-bell curls/concentration curls

Task 2:
Trim Fig tree, as branches have grown heavy and draped to the ground, then clear branches off lawn.
IMG_2422.JPG

Lifting Break
Bent Press holds
95 lbs. Barbell to shoulder

Clean and press
95 x 5

First meal of day (around 2 P.M. now)

One large slice of quiche (spinach/cheese, eggs)
Post meal shake (Banana, oatmeal, blueberries, milk, 2 scoops protein)

Task 3:
Tidy room, box all random electronic items, laundry.

Lifting Break
1 set of each @ 95 lbs.

Muscle clean x 8
Close grip floor press x 8
Goblet squats x 8 (45 lbs. k-bell)

Current task:
I am slowly but surely writing a mass message on facebook to invoke my relatives/friends into helping support me financially for school. It is the hardest task I currently face, as this simple act of asking for family for help seems daunting, as many are distant relatives. This puts me in a rather vulnerable position, but it is necessary as I need someone to back me for a loan. Writing this is perhaps the greatest exercise I face currently. It may take me some time before I can send it. Gym later, for Barbell Squats and press practice.

Barbell Bent Press practice 95 lbs.

Sounds like you got a good program. If I understood it right it's much like GTG. Very nice. Good exercise selection as well.

Later this year, I'm likely also set to have to train a lot at home and make the most of my time in the gym when I get there. I'll do squat, bench and carries on the days I get to the gym, and at home I do rows, presses, zercher squats, shrugs, deadlifts, what else.

Yes it is very much GTG inspired. I suppose the practices aren't always specific to just max strength, as some days are light/tonic/neural workouts, however the staying away from failure/fatigue is definitely present. I also do practice many different exercises, even though they are somewhat mutations of the same basic lifts.

I love training at the home gym, there are very many advantages as well as a few tradeoffs. However, going minimal sometimes reminds one of the very essence of focused practice towards a simple goal.

Day 6 Evening Session

Squats
Anderson Squat at Parallel
135 x 3, 225 x 3, 275 x 2,2 295 x 1, 1, 1

Paused Squats
225 x 5 x 3 sets

Push Press
135 x 5 x 3 sets

Practiced some good old Anderson Squat. Did this today to try and find my ideal bottom position. Want to improve my form out of the hole, as what tends to happen is I start the concentric portion, but my hips go up first and the bar makes a little S like shape path. I am trying to make everything arrive at the same time, and find my power out of the hole position. However, I must say, Pin Squats so low put you in a very disadvantageous position.

The goal was to work the bottom position first, then practice reaching it via the pause squats. It's the principle of wedging here. It's hard so low, and it's hard to tell if you're balanced and many reps the bar was not perfectly in the middle of my back. Maybe less weight, and a more profound rep would be better. But loading this higher won't be as draining I feel. Also, I want to practice pushing my back into the bar with this. As opposed to just driving with my legs and doing a good morning like lift. The 295 was okay, but once again, I wasn't perfectly under the bar, so bar path wasn't perfect. It's harder than a regular squat because of lack of stretch reflex as well. Even a pause squat offers more power out of the bottom then the dead squat.

Paused squats felt really powerful after the Anderson squats. I don't feel like my legs are actually the weak point, but more so my torso stability. This is why a belt helps me so much, and I am training without one currently. So my bracing is constantly being challenged. I want to load my legs on the descent, but actually the weight feels light on my legs and heavy on my back and stomach. I went down very slowly on the pause squats and did pretty extended pauses. The ascent felt very strong.

Push presses weren't the best. I've got to remind myself not to use the squat bar for this, as the center knurling really chews up my clavicles and detracts from an optimal session for this lift. It is quite painful to lower the bar with the rough knurling colliding with my collarbone leaving an ugly hickey on my chest. Nonetheless, just 3 sets of 5 with my best press set of 5 so far. I think my best is actually 140 x 5, but that was some time ago. Need to practice this lift more in a more optimal state, as today 135 push presses felt less solid then my 135 x 5 presses the other day. Also, didn't warmup for them after squats.

Tomorrow, floor press, rows and deads and probably some other random stuff.

A work in progress

Back
Top Bottom