all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Consolidated training Schedule (starting next week)

Day 1: Bench Press (heavy) +Assistance
Day 2: DL (Intensity) Press (Light/SV) Squat (Volume)
Day 3: Bench Press (Volume) DL + Squat (Recovery/SV)
Day 4: Press (intensity) + Assistance
Day 5: Squat (intensity) Bench Press (Light/SV) DL (volume)
Day 6: Press (Volume) DL+ Squat (Light/Recovery/SV)
Day 7:No lifting/light cardio/stretches/etc

Training protocol remains, I just combine the heavy lower days instead of having them on sequential days. Then the pressing is organized so the heavy days are far apart from one another.

What does SV stand for?

Specialized variety.

I.e for bench SV would be incline bench, close grip bench or other similar but different variations.

For squat and deadlift it could be belt squats or pauses or if I need recovery light swings/pull throughs. We'll have to see how I feel after my first condensed squat/DL day. Probably will be lifts with less spinal compression.

Specialized variety.

I.e for bench SV would be incline bench, close grip bench or other similar but different variations.

For squat and deadlift it could be belt squats or pauses or if I need recovery light swings/pull throughs. We'll have to see how I feel after my first condensed squat/DL day. Probably will be lifts with less spinal compression.
Got it. Thanks!

Day 4 Week 2

Protyazhka-Warmup
Muscle Snatch, Wide grip press Behind neck, Overhead Squat

Press (intensity)
95 x 3, 115 x 3, 130 x 2, 145 x 1, 155 x 1, 160 x miss

P.P.
165 x 3, 175 x 2, 185 x1 (long hold)

Box Deadlifts (pause off floor)
225 x 4 x 4 sets

Alt close grip/Wide Grip press
100 lbs x (5 + 5) x 2 rounds

Double K.B. Swing
2 x 25 lbs. x 20 x 2 sets

Dips
8 x 4 sets

Double K.B. Rows (on incline bench)
25 lbs. x 15 x 3 sets

Hammer Curls
20 lbs. x 20 x 2 sets

Hanging, Knee Raises, stretching

Quite a bit today. 155 felt very solid on press, 160 stalled at same forehead point after flying off bottom. Same sticking point as bench. That's okay. I don't expect to hit a P.R. mid cycle but it felt very doable. Practice holding back. I'll adjust intensity day to get more reps at 90 % and above. Obliques very sore from side bends and back a little stiff. The warmup actually really made everything feel better. Just can't expect to push the press poundages each week. Not too worried about missing max presses. The overall strain on the body isn't incredible compared to other lifts. I know I can press BW fresh, Will just have to wait for the day and accrue volume. Box deadlifts were a neat, new SV. Light deadlift day, so wanted to focus on keeping hips down at start. So I practiced using the box as my indicator. Also helped me practice my wedge and it felt much better today. I need to remember the cue that makes my lift....knee's out. This helps me get my hips closer to the bar and get a great leg drive in the lift. Glutes were definitely activated.

Wide and close grip presses were next. both felt good. hard to know if I'd be stronger at either one then my current grip. Wide is pointer on the rings and narrow is thumb just outside smooth. K.B. swings to get the glutes/low back some blood flow. Not too ballistic or straining. Dips after for triceps and spine decompression. Rows for the upper back and the works to even out the rest. Some biceps work and hanging, easy abs, light cardio.

First Press @ 155, easy and smooth. Next time, repeat a few singles here.

Second press, stalled at usual spot to no avail.

"Box Deadlift"- to practice perfect wedge and hip position. Make the bar pop, pause, then lift.

Day 5 Week 2

Squat (intensity)
155 x 3, 225 x 3, 265 x 2
295 x 2 x 4 sets (belt)

Close grip bench (slow descent, pause 1"above chest)
Bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 4 x 3 sets

Flies
10 x 2 w/ 10 lbs.

Pull Throughs
12 x 2 sets

Standing cable ER
12 x 2 sets

Incline Curl Stretch for a while, mobility flow (squats, renegade lunges, twisting lunges, GM, squats OH etc.)

Was tired today before training. But got better. Back was a bit stiff, as well as hips. Seems to clear up when I start lifting. Squats felt good and strong. Wore a belt to spare my back a little bit. My upper back was quite sore from rows yesterday. Noticed on my first squat set, that my stance is soooo wide. Tried to narrow it in the middle of my 295 sets, just a tad, but I think the original stance is best for now. Knees out would help me a bit as I could get a better spring on the bottom with a close stance, as everything is not so spread out and hanging on a limb like in my wide stance. I don't have a lot of mass, so the wide stance doesn't give me any real tissue leverage i.e. my thighs pushing up against my torso and my hammies and calves getting squished together would all help just a little. These little things add up. Squats felt good nonetheless, and this was my highest intensity day of this three week phase and I'm already itching for heavier weights. Patience.

Close grip bench wasn't the best. Felt my shoulder acting up again with the slow descent. Had to widen my grip just a tad. A faster descent kind of bypasses these joint issues, so a slow descent really forces the muscles to hold position. Front of shoulder was talking to me. So I did flies after, and they helped. I believe since my pec tear, my right anterior delt has gotten tight. it has been forced to pick up slack for my weakened chest. Getting a little chest activation may be helpful, so my shoulder isn't a one man army against the bar. Glad the light flies, focusing on squeezing but not necessarily fatiguing the chest, may help it get it's butt in gear.

Pull throughs for glutes to recover, as they get very tight. When I poke them, they get very reactive. Some E.R work and stretching to loosen the tension from the session.

Feeling good so far. Did a few very heavy partial lifts today as well. A 425 lbs. 1/4 front squat off a rack, a zercher with 365 off the bench, and a bench lockout and hold with 365. Feels good to just hold and partial lift with some really heavy weights.

Filmed all three squat sets to see if my stance adjustments yielded any benefits, Nothing incredibly telling, all my stances looked similar. But solid amount of reps.

Set 1 (didn't record)

Set 2

Set 3

Set 4

Last edited:
Day 6 Week 2

Warmup- dumbbell circles, rear flies, etc.

Press
Bar x 5, (95 x 3, 115 x 3) x 4 sets

Snatch Grip DL
155 x 5
235 x 5 x 5 sets

Press (w/pauses)
105 x 3 x 5 sets (pause @forehead, lockout, lower to forehead, lockout, then lower to chest+1 full rep)

Low Body Mobility/Balance drills
Pistol to box, side lunges, single leg RDL

Close Grip Bench press
135 x 8 x 3 sets

Pulldowns, D-Bell Curls, Rear Delt Flies, Chest Flies w K.B., stretching, arm circles, delt work with light K.B.

Stretch

Saturday session. late and no one really about. Everyone has social plans but not I. I lift in solitude, maybe too much I lift. But it has taken a higher place in my life. I have no wife, kids, girlfriend or close friends I spend much time with. Work is social, gym is my time.

Press for volume today. Nearing 50 TBL. I haven't found the volume/frequency/intensity detract. My physique is becoming quite developed combined with my I.F. and HF training schedule. I doubt there is a better way to train for me right now. But then again, aside from work and taking care of home, lifting is where my energy has been channeled. Sometimes I wonder if my solitary nature has been a detriment or salvation to myself. If I had a family, kids, close friends, I wouldn't be able to train like I do. I suppose that's my trade.

Waved the weight. Looking to get more reps at lower intensity. Groove wasn't the tightest, as I used the rack not the clean. Had trouble figuring my rack position out. I notice by my video, my hips aren't driven forward enough and chest not opened up. This got better when I got to my second press exercise of the day.

Snatch Deads were murder. I am understanding why this movement has been described by Charles Poliquin as the deadlift from hell. Program calls for TnG but I cannot commit great reps with this. After using the high tension method for my first set, I felt roasted. Position at start demands very high mobility. The back arch is hard to maintain, the grip is constantly strained and the back has a lot to contend with. I did light pause on floor sets to alleviate all this. TnG doesn't seem to help with start position, as the bounce throws it all off. Good for hypertrophy. Glutes were getting work and after these, mobility for the sumo should be a breeze.

Second press to work on my weak spot, right at forehead. Found my torso and hip position improved. The lowering of the bar felt much better on these reps to. My shoulders found the proper groove and my chest opened up well for the final rep.

Some light movement for my legs to open hips and work on single leg discrepancies. CGBP for some tri's, and the usual light pump work.

Press set 115 (poor torso, upper back position and start) these looked better than they felt.

First SGDL set (grind style, very hard)

Later set SGDL (not touch and go, and a little rest between reps. better)

Press Sv

Day 7 Week 2

Warmups-shoulder circles, B.U. K-Bell press, prying squats, rows

Bench Press (intensity)
Bar x 3, 95 x 3, 135 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 2, 205 x 1
225 x 1, 225 x 2 (1 board) 225 x 3, ( 2 board) 225 x 2 (1 board) 225 x 1, 1

Pause Bench (2 second pause)
185 x 3 x 3 sets

Cable Rows (neutral grip)
20 x 3 sets

Feet Up K-Bell Bench Press
5 x 3 @ 45 lbs.

Rear Delt Flies w/ light K.B.
12, 10

Elbows Out Ext
25 lbs. x 15, 15

Concentration curl
25 lbs. x 8, 6

Feeling good today. bench session took quite some time. No work today, lazy Sunday. After cleaning up home, watching football, baseball, felt like lifting, even though I haven't taken a day off this week. Bench session practice with high intensity (90%). Since this was a practice, wanted to iron out heavy weight technique. Made a lot of bench notes. Took a few singles @ 225 lbs. to get the "feel of the weight". Toyed with bar speed, elbow position, tension, etc. FOund the best groove on the very last rep, after all the others. First rep @ 205 very solid, but I was trying too hard to keep tension on my chest, so my reps were slower earlier on. Got the speed+ tension groove later on. Discovered unracking with elbows flared works way better for me. Tucked elbow unrack on first video vs. flared on last video. Too slow on lowering in first rep, good speed on last rep. Try not to use too much lower body on board preses, as this is where leg drive starts running out and pressing muscles must be ready to carry it on.

Some more practice with 185. Instead of full body tension, the best for me is practicing the bottom position, where tension is at it's greatest. My bench is better as more of a jump + throw rather than a slow grind. Chest/lats/ legs and glutes must be tight at bottom but the arms loose. Really got a better feel of this with these extra volume sets.

Some bodybuilding afterwards. K.B. presses to stretch the pecs and practice lowering onto lats without leg drive. I.e. my upper body needs more drive.

First single @ 225. Elbows tucked on unrack, harder and too tight on descent to be explosive. However, still felt strong

Board press set. Trying to keep lower body help to minimum.

Last single @ 225. Unrack b etter with elbows flared a la JW technique. Better eccentric and stronger drive off chest.

Bench Press technique analysis. This seems to be the best way for me.

• Toes planted, pull into arch into upper back and unrack bar by flexing glutes, driving back into bench w/elbows flared.
  • Guide bar above sternum with lats and lower hips.
  • Allow shoulders to retract.
  • Lower bar loosely to sternum. Load the legs, and push chest up as bar descends.
  • Allow bar to sink into chest without losing arch. Legs, back and chest are tight at bottom, arms relaxed.
  • Drive myself into my arch. Shock wave from legs to lats to chest, shoulders and triceps.
  • Push yourself into the bench after drive.
  • Elbows flare after halfway.

Day 1 Week 3 (cycle 1)

DL (sumo)
155 x 1, 265 x 1, 335 x 3, 365 x 2
385 x 1 x 3 sets

Press (after clean)
95 x 5
(115 x 4, 135 x 3) x 3 (NBL-21)

Squat
155 x 1
265 x 5 x 4 sets

Incline Press
135 x 8 x 2 sets

Chins, Dips (20 x 2), Pulldowns, Bent Press, Windmills, stretching.

Deads were tough. Hips still going up before bar. Knees were too far forward. A mostly vertical shin will be better. Once again knees out and pulling into hips, not squatting into bar. Will practice. Grip became issue. First set, mixed grip not bad. Next two were D.O. Lost last single at top because of grip. Mixed grip will be handy. Press was in a good groove today. Squats as well. Did not need much warmup after the deadlift singles. On to assistance. Incline then dips/chins for spine relief. Some flow stretching plus H.F.,Outerhip, quad, chest, everything.

First rep 385 lbs. D.O (ugh the hips.., back took a punch)

2nd Rep Felt the best

3rd, lost grip at top. Called it.

Press groove 135. Feels solid.

Squats usually not done after heavy dads, but got the volume done quickly. My squats and deadlifts share a similar stance width. The hips also rise in the squat before the upper back. What to do?

Do you think your back is significantly stronger than your legs? How does your narrow stance high bar squat compare to your wider stance low bar squat?

Do you think your back is significantly stronger than your legs? How does your narrow stance high bar squat compare to your wider stance low bar squat?

I think it's asset up issue. My knees are too forward, scapula behind bar more like a weightlifter would be. Instead of pulling into my hips, I push my knees forward, in effect, inhibiting my hips from a "power position". My hams and glutes aren't loaded at all. Trying to squat the bar too much I think.

Practiced the wedge at home. I'm amazed of how often I have overlooked my deadlift technique as compared to my other lifts. My shins should be vertical, hips higher, and torso further over the bar. Then I can use my hips to their greatest capacity, instead of overriding them in my start and having just my quads and back pick up the slack. I'd love it if @kennycro@@aol.com could give it a look.

Day 3 Week 3

Bench Press
Bar x 5, 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5
205 x 3 x 3

K.B. DL's, Chins, B.U. K.B. Carries (25 lbs.), Flies- Delts, chest, incline curl hang

Easy bench day, intensity goes up a notch, but drops a bit next week for lighter volume. Back a bit stiff from deads. Some loosening drills and hip movements. Focused on keeping chest up on bottom of bench and not allowing my arch to collapse at bottom.

I think it's asset up issue. My knees are too forward, scapula behind bar more like a weightlifter would be. Instead of pulling into my hips, I push my knees forward, in effect, inhibiting my hips from a "power position". My hams and glutes aren't loaded at all. Trying to squat the bar too much I think.

Practiced the wedge at home. I'm amazed of how often I have overlooked my deadlift technique as compared to my other lifts. My shins should be vertical, hips higher, and torso further over the bar. Then I can use my hips to their greatest capacity, instead of overriding them in my start and having just my quads and back pick up the slack. I'd love it if @kennycro@@aol.com could give it a look.

Sure, having the hips rise in the deadlift can be a setup issue. And yes, the hips should start high, provided the hips stay close to the bar.

The sumo deadlift is the most technical of the powerlifts.

You mention your hips rise first from the bottom of your squat as well. Why do you think that is?

Sure, having the hips rise in the deadlift can be a setup issue. And yes, the hips should start high, provided the hips stay close to the bar.

The sumo deadlift is the most technical of the powerlifts.

You mention your hips rise first from the bottom of your squat as well. Why do you think that is?

To gain leverage, simply. My back is short and my legs are long. My hips rising, keeps the bar over the c.o.g while allowing my shorter torso to get into a power position to use more hip then quads. The difference between my squat and deadlift hip issue, is my back doesn't round at all during the squat.

Day 4 Week 3

Bench (Spoto off chest)=/comp grip)
185 x 6 x 3 sets

Clean + Press
135 x 1, 145 x 1, 155 x 1, 140 x 2

Sumo Dead
265 x 2 x 3 sets

CGBP-95 x 5, 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5, Guillotine Press -135 x 8 x 3 sets, Cable Rows 3 x 20 ish, Dumbbell Sumo Dl-120 x 10 x 2 sets, Delts, flies, stretches

Heavy presses, working up to 1rm. Felt solid, no rush. Shoulder was a mess from other day...from pushing delt work a little too far, but the main lifts are therapeutic. No pain on benches or OHP. Got good sumo work in today, practicing setup before lift. Getting the hang of it. Glutes/hips/hamstrings will be more of a focus for Squat/DL assistance work. GM, Box squats, K-Bell drills, swings, etc. Looking at my current DL setup, it is very similar to the start of a swing. Working on integrating those hips better which will take practice.

DL Checklist-Vertical shin, bar close. Torso over bar. Grip. Knees out/chest up, pull into hips.

Good back angle, hips are loaded and bar is directly below scapula. Shins are vertical, bar close. No torso angle change until bar passes knees. Setups felt good and I'm getting the feel.

Day 5 Week 3

Bench
Sets up to a few singles @ 215

Duck Deads
255 x 5 x 5 sets

CGBP-10 x 4 @ 135, rows, swings, movement, pump (flies/reverse)

Day 6 Week 3 (unloading)

Press -(95 x 5 + 115 x 3) x 3
Squats- 185 x 3 x 3

Bench
165 x 3 x 3

Bands/stretching.

Went 10 days straight, now feeling it. Should feel a bit beat, but now adjustments for next cycle. Shoulder and hip need a couple days, then reduced variety of lifts next week. Press schedule needs review (both bench/o.h) while squat/dl remains and heavy assistance is lowered. Assistance focus on recovery/technique help next phase. Two days of rest, than heavy bench Monday. Today's light sets to keep groove greased and be easy, even though when you're not excited for them, they're not. But they heal when done smoothly and regain the proper groove. Squat feels great...took me the third bench for it to feel "right". SO it was not in vain. Press felt crummy, then fine after first compound set. Wasn't moving my head out of the way :rolleyes:

Day 1 Week 1 Cycle 2

Bench Press
210 x 3
195 x 3 x 3

Cable Rows, Bench Starts (185 x 6 x 3), Pulldowns, Tri Ext, Shoulder drills (Club swings, windmills, flies)

After two days rest, bench doesn't feel bad. More control of bar on eccentric. Losing strong bottom position on last reps and relying on leg drive.

210 top set. Losing it a bit on bottom.

Back off sets with slow eccentric/pause. Shoulder position stronger. Try not to rush reps on top set.

Day 2 Week 1

Sumo DL- 385 x 2 x 3 sets

Press-115 x 3 x 5, 125 x 3, 135 x 3, 125 x 3, 115 x 3

Squat-265 x 5 x 4 sets

Pulldowns, Pushdowns, Rear Delts

Got my deadlift back. Best heavy set I've done in a while. Am pleased as I was a tad fearful prior to training. Press was hard, after bench day and deads. This is to be expected. Fatigue cycling at work here. Squat felt heavy but not hard. Gives me confidence for heavy squat day since I pulled and pressed before. Light pump after. Solid day, session took quite a while though.

Deadlift felt grooving.

I'm happy this lift has been so low maintenance. DL and bench not so lucky, but now I've figured my deadlift out. I am optimistic about letting these two lifts ride. Pressing needs work, or perhaps less/better/more focused work?

Day 3 Week 1

Bench Press - 185 x 5 x 5 (slow eccentric/pause)

Double K-Bell C+P- 6 x 3 (35 lbs)

Rows, Pullover/Extensions/ Rear Delts

Day 4 Week 1

Press
95 x 5, 115 x 3, 135 x 2, 145 x 1, 155 x 1

Push Press
155 x 3, 175 x 3, 185 x 2

Feet up bench (3 grips)
135 x 10, 8, 6

Chins-10,8,6, D-Bell Cleans, French Press, Stretch

Last edited:
Back