all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Haven't posted in a while and forgot some of the sessions but here's the meat and taters of the past few.

Day 5 Week 2

Squat 300 x 3 x 3 sets
DL (conventional) 275 x 4 x 4 sets

Day 6+7 off

Day 1
Bench 225 x 5 singles
Press- 120 x 5 x 5
Rows/delts/etc

Day 2
Deadlift (sumo) 405 x 1 x 3 sets
Squat- 245 x 6 x 3 sets
Bench - 185 x 5 x (many sets)
Rows, band work.

Day 3 Week 3

Light/Restoration

Band Work/Mobility drills
Bench-135 x 5 x 3 sets (leg raises between sets)
1H Swings- 20 x 2 sets
K.B. C+P - 35 x 8 x 2 sets
Barbell Pullovers, Cuban press

Stretching/Hanging

Light bench grooving. Bench has been worked hard. Time or short unloading/taper to allow that work to be realized. Back tired from DL's and squats so light swings/core work to restore. Squats and DL's on one day are a lot but feel fine during. Sometimes I forget to use my belt and warm-up enough. Bench accessory work will drop and be let to only the main lift, a light day and one accessory lit on the heavy day. DL and Squat improving well, so will leave alone. I will take longer on the main lifts now as weight climbs, and less on the other. preparation for the heavy lifts will take more time to ensure proper technique/activation/movements and positioning are optimal before the heavy sets.

3 x1 @ 405 was the most I'd done in a single DL session and it's 2 x 3 sets next week. Squat is climbing high too. Technique adjustments or DL's have paid off and the volume day will include my competition stance after this week followed by a max test for DL's and squats on different days.

here is my last single @405, not the fastest, but position holds strong and no unwanted hip/back action

Last edited:
Day 4 Week 3

Squat-315 x 2 x3 sets
Press-95 x 5 x 5
DL (conventional)- 295 x 4 x 4
BP 135 x 5 x 3
Face Pulls-25 x 4 sets

Last heavy day of this cycle and I'm glad. back was very tired and squats weren't the finest. Oddly deadlifts not affected. Next phase, there will still be two DL and squats sessions a week each but only 1 heavy per lift, alternating weeks. So heavy, medium, light will be in full affect here.

Next Cycle Schedule

Week 1
Day 1: Bench press (heavy) Squat (light 65 % @ 5x5) BP SV
Day 2: DL (heavy), Press (light 65 % @ 5 x 5), DL Sv
Day 3:Off
Day 4: Squat (medium volume) BP (light 65 % a 5 x 5) Squat SV
Day 5: Press (Heavy) DL (light 65 % a 5 x 5) Press SV

Week 2
Day 1 (same)
Day 2: Dl (medium volume) Press light, DL SV
Day 3: Off
Day 4: Squat (Heavy) BP Light Squat SV
Day 5: Same

Day 2

Deadlifts (Sumo)
335 x 3, 375 x 2, 405 x 1

Bench Press
180 x 3, 165 x 5 x 2

Reverse Lunge (Front rack) 95 lbs. x 6 x 3
Chinups-25 lbs. x 5 x 3 sets
O.H. D-Bell Carry- 45 lbs. 2 x 40 yards per arm

Day 3 Off

Day 4
Clean + Press- 120 lbs. x 5 x 5 sets
Deadlift (Conventional)- 275 lbs. 5 x 5
C.G.B.P- 165 x 5 x 3 sets
Snatch Grip Jump Shrug- 135 lbs x 10 x 3
Leg Raises- 5 x 3

Back has been bothered, along with hip. Could go no higher on Sumo's. Been doing some unilateral work to iron out imbalances. Glutes/back seem tight. Hip and ankle mobility need some attention. Press feels good. Back not bothered by this, mostly feel it after sitting. I've had some PP tilt issues, resulting in a loss of lumbar curve. Making sure to pay extra attention to lower back. It's been bad before, where times my girlfriend would have to put my socks on for me. Always as a result of the loss of my arch under load.

Consequently, a poor hip hinge ability seems possible. My hamstrings and glutes and calves are probably a bit tight, and my H.F. need a little boost. Conventional deadlifts were not a bother at the light weight day. Bench feels fast and locked in. Snatch grip shrugs were tricky...I had difficulty not hitting myself in sensitive areas, but I like the upper back work. Did some band work as well and abs. Ab work is something I've neglected in the past and perhaps can be helpful in restoring my back and aiding in heavier lifting to come. I've even found my IAP on bench press is starting to make sense. Single leg work will make up Dead/Squat assistance exercises, or may just be activation exercises later on. We shall see. Squats tomorrow. Been toying with my squat stance, as it seems my back/hip started acting up after the 315 sets last week., which came after 3 sets of 405 on DL. My spine has been taking a lot, too often. Tomorrow is a bit lighter. I find paying more attention to my feet as sensory indicators will help me performed more balanced and even lifts., along with the less frequent heavy sessions. Light sessions actually leave me feeling refreshed. I am re-discovering their importance once again.

Last edited:
Day 5

Squat- 275 x 5 x 5

Single Leg DL- 6 x 3 (25 lbs. DB)
See Saw Press- 5 x 3 per arm (35 lbs. DB)
Renegade Rows 5 x 2 (50 lbs. DB)

Band work, mobility, stretching, hangs.

Productive squat session. Used Oly. Shoes. Don't know why. It was much harder this way. I suppose I feel working my knees a bit would help with my back issue? Back had no problem during session, but a few occurrences throughout the day where I'm momentarily frozen in stiff pain. I was helping my grandma fix her car, and upon completion, arose from the squat position I was in and it somewhat paralyzed me. I writhed a bit and winced. M grandma, looking concerned but empathetic, simply stated "I know how that feels."

. I suspect the tightness in my right glute is related.

My squat technique gained some review. My Power stance is somewhat wide, toes flared. By power, I mean the stance I can handle the most weight. In fact, as far as speed were to go, if I were to jump as high as possible, my stance and technique would be close stance, high knee bend, the opposite of what I call my "Power stance". A pure hip hinge to start. Knees bending only once the torso is positioned. This happens on it's own. In the bottom, my torso is literally squished into my thighs.

The Good morning, Power squat combo would be a good exercise for me to warm-up with. My knees bend as an afterthought, but they still do. They help me out of the bottom. I discovered watching my old squat videos, this has been my strongest method. Bar is better kept over midfoot, and the stronger hips take the load. It makes me have to worry less about the descent. I went very slow on my Oly shoe squats today to get little or no reflex. This is because, with my back, I've feared a faster descent. Maybe practicing slow will help, but I definitely don't want to lose my ability to utilize the S.R. in the squat, if I have any plans of lifting maximal weights...which I certainly do.

Have considered the idea of Anderson style squatting. Taking a heavy weight and lowering only a little ways to a rack, practicing this groove. Have a light day on Monday for squats, so I will be practicing my power groove for the upcoming heavy day next Friday. This is under the presumption my back will not be an issue. I believe I;ve been smart....I must continue to be.

Unilaterl exercises have been a nice change. My midsection as definitely working big time. I've been conscious of my abs contracting ever since my back problem. All the accessory work today had a very strong core component...aside the band work...which I actually still became core conscience.

Stretching is important now. I need to release excess tension Sometimes I tense before a lift...relaxing a bit makes the lift actually easier. I can't carry tension constantly...stretching makes me feel like I can leave it at the gym.

Next workout goals,

Bench 195 x 5 x 5, Squat (light day practicing power groove)

Bench Notes:
  • Back tight, chest up. My body is huge as can be. Legs tightly arched. Enough to support a bridge.
  • Breath into belly, lats, fists. Body as inflated as can be.
  • The top is like the descent before a jump. I'm going to absorb the weight into my body.
  • Bar pushes body into tightest spring position, ready to fire.
  • My strongest muscles hold the weight, forcing me into the perfect position to propel it back to where it came.
  • I explode into the bar from my legs. My whole body attacks the bar in unison, like a perfectly executed sting operation.
  • The bar flies. I wedge myself into the bench, my legs, torso, a bridge, setting me up for the perfect position to finish the bar off. I push harder into the bench, until the bar is like a crazy ex who gave back the keys.
  • "Locked out."

Day 1

Bridge press 225 x 5 (top set)
Bench Press 195 x 5 x 5
Press 95 x 5 x 5
Chins/Pendlay Rows/Arms

Day 2
DL Conv 315 x 4 x 4
Zercher Cycle 315 x 1
Single Leg DL 5 x 3

Day 3
Overhead Rack Lockout 135 x 5, 150 x 3, 160 x miss (misloaded bar on one side), 150 x 2 x 1, 135 x 3 x 2 sets
Bench Press - 185 x 3 x 10 sets
D-bell Rows - 55 lbs x 10 x 5 sets
Power Snatch - 115 x 5 x 3 sets

Rotation of main heavy lifts seems very pleasing right now, as I'm burnt on the main lifts. However, practicing them for many low rep/high sets such as the bench day on day 3 are good. Conjugate style coming right now. The zercher felt easy, as did the bridge press. This shows me that my other lifts seem to get stronger from the powerlifts, more so than the powerlifts because they are trained too often and the emotional stress is less with rotating main lifts. The usual will be present on ME days.

Floor press, incline, Close grip, declines, rack lockouts sometimes dumbbells for higher reps on bench ME.
Zercher squats, Front squats, Anderson Squats, Oly, Box for squat
Snatch Grip, Block pulls, Behind the back, Jefferson are all options for Dl.
Overhead day will be push press, lockouts, dumbbells, strict military, grip variations

One day will be bench and one OH, followed by main lift volume at medium load, like D.E, but heavier and not focused on speed but perfect execution. Lower day will rotate squats and deads and the second lower day will be a volume day as well.

Day 4

M.E. Lower

Anderson Pin Squat (above parallel)
135 x 5, 225 x 5, 275 x 5, 315 x 5, 345 x 3, 375 x 1, 385 x (miss)
315 x 3 x 3 sets

GM-135 x 10 x 5 sets
Split Squat- 20 lbs x 10 x 3 sets
Shrugs- 2 x 55 lbs K.B. x 20, 15
Cable woodchop- 80 lbs. x 5 x 3 sets

Back feeling fine with shorter R.O.M. An ego lifts, perhaps, but the supramax work is good for a psychological edge. Squatting to the pin is a it tough as when the bar rests, position can be lost. Will work on doing the descent more slowly, so I can focus on getting the proper groove and not losing position at the bottom. Accessory work felt fine.

Day 6 (technically 7 but I mislabeled earlier posts)

Off from Barbell Training

Conditioning- 30 min
running outside in park (800 meters, 60 meter all out sprint), Jumps on objects
Squat stretches, easy pushups) Walk, home.

K-Bell Drills -15 minutes
45 lbs. - DL's, side lunges

Needed some easy training because M.E. Lower beat me up. Some easy cardio and flow movements. Felt good. Refreshing...
Autumn is here now, and reminds me of how much time has passed. Many memories seem as fresh as yesterday's Spring, yet so much has changed so quickly. Some things have not changed at all.

I love lifting...but sometimes that love has come with a price. But I never want to stop...even when the iron doesn't want me, chews me up and spits me out. I still come crawling and crippling back. The iron is a heavier dose of punch then it once was. However, I've gained a lot from it.

These light sessions, I feel will keep me lifting heavy, mixed with the variety and template in place. The pin squat was incredibly taxing...because the weight was far more than I'd ever squatted. However, I lifted it. This gave me confidence. But my M.E. days don't always have to include such demanding variations. They are test, in a sense. Can I grind a lift out?...but not the competition lift! That can only be practiced and with modest loads.

After a few months of reckless experimentation and heavy demands forced on my body from high frequency, loads, volumes and variations, I think my system has finally become a bit more clear. This is not a test now. It will just be training.

Day 1

M.E. Upper

Close Grip Bench Press
Bar x 5, 95 x5, 135 x 5, 170 x 5, 190 x 5, 200 x 3, 210 x 1, 215 x 1, 220 x (miss)
185 x 4 x 2 sets

Double-K.B. Press
25 lbs. x 10, 35 x 8, 45 x 6
53 x 6, 5 4

Double K.B. Rows on Incline Bench
25 lbs. x 10, 35 lbs. x 10, 45 lbs. x 10
53 lbs. x 10, 10, 8

Snatch Grip high Pulls, Band Scarecrows, Some tri work, Chins, Incline D-Bell

Bench felt good. The closer grip is a lot more difficult for me. Alignment and elbow position become a it more precarious, as my long arms tend to move all over. A thumbs distance from smooth, about 5 inches closer than my competition grip. A longer R.O.M, a leverage disadvantage and more triceps stress. 215 flew up s smoothly, 220 seemed easy. But my mind state maybe unfocused or too rushed. I lost my tension at that bottom and the groove on the way up was lost. I find when the weight is getting heavier, I rush my descent, which is psychological. At the bottom, I feel most vulnerable and try to quickly "surpass" this zone. I will need to spend more time getting comfortable here.

My weight is pretty low. The fasting phase definitely made me leaner, and energetic, but lost pounds mean lost stability, especially in shoulder based movements. Most of the year, I was up around 175. Now, I sit at 165. The leanness has been nice, I won't lie. However, with temperatures dropping, I've found I get cold so easily! A good time to put my weight back on, especially if I want to see improvements on my upper body lifts.

Assistance work for upper body will aid in putting on mass where I need it, mostly my back, chest and shoulders. Eating will be key. Came home after lifting and was famished. Cooked the following.
  • Two pieces of French toast, topped with banana, blueberries and maple syrup (naturally)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 piece of ham
  • 4 slices of thick bacon
I feel much more stable on the bench with more bodyweight. I also did many more sets to warmup for the close grip, so I can have more records to beat i.e. instead of just 1RM, 3Rm or even 5Rm can be options, and possibly even better than just a 1RM, since I haven't done these movements in a while and a bit more reps may help expand my base strength. I'll allow myself to do some light upper work on off or lower days as well, namely dips or pushups, with a large buffer as not over train, but get a little more work and movement.

Did a few sets of squats today as well. Worked up to 275 x 3 for a couple sets. Felt easy and the back had no problems without the belt. I am allowing myself a lot of leeway with my training right now, however there is structure. But if I need to audible, it won't run a thing. My next day is lower day which can mean a few things. I can Push max efforts often, if the movements are varied enough but overall mood must be noted. I plan on doing lower work, but what work will depend on that day, that moment.

Day 2

Upper- R.E.

Bench Starts off chest-
95 x 10, 135 x 10, 185 x 8, 8,
135 x 15, 95 x 15

Front Squat
135 x 3, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 245 x 1, 265 x 1, 275 x 1 (P.R.!)

K.B. Floor Press
53 lbs x 20, 15

G.H.R - 15, 12, 8

Cable Rows 4 x 12-15, Face Pulls 25 x 3 sets, Pressdowns, cable curls.

Upper body work again, more light and pump focused. Pecs need some work for my bench as yesterdays close grip didn't really fatigue my chest much. Worked the bottom with bench starts, stopping each rep just above halfway. Worked the other half with K.B. floor press.

Hit a lifetime front squat P.R. today. Felt like the day. Front squats are a great accessory for me. They always lagged behind my back squat. I didn't always like them, but now I find them much more appealing then back squats. Th groove just seems so much easier and the bar placement makes more sense to me. A good M.E. lift, as it uses less weight than the others, like the close grip bench. Alternating Supramaximal lifts with such seems like a good idea.

Some hamstring work and basic pump afterwards. I've increased my calories by quite a bit. I expect to be up to 175 in about 6 weeks, if all goes well. Will do a bit of pulling tomorrow I expect, as it would make sense.

Congrats on the PR!

Thanks @Antti! This just kind of re-affirms what I felt was true. The less I do a lift, the more it improves from my other lifts. ROFL
It's kind of like when I was young and I really liked a girl, Id give her so much attention, it'd drive her away. Then when I stopped...
all the sudden she'd be interested!:D:D This is why Conjugate seems to suit me

Day 3

Pull emphasis

Hip + shoulder circles, sprint drills, rolls

Power Snatch
95 x 3, 115 x 3, 125 x 3, 135 x 3, 145 x 2, 155 x 1 (P.R.)

Axle Deadlift
185 x 5, 275 x 5
315 x 15, 10 (P.R.)

Narrow/Parallel Chins

Incline D-Bell Rows
25 lbs. x 20, 15, 15

Band exercises, lat stretches, hammie stretch, light dumbbell press (35 bs x 40+?)

Decided I'd emphasize working my back and all it's constituent parts today. Had fun doing snatches, which I haven't in a while and set a P.R. Felt I could've done at least 10 more lbs., but left it for another day. We got wagon wheels yesterday at the gym and was really excited to try out pulls from the elevated height, as I'd figured it'd be better for my back issues, which seem to be almost gone now. Had fun with those ones. Technically a P.R., but I haven't done rack pulls in a long while so I never really set records with them but a good base to improve on. Kept reps high and weight lower, as I'm trying to get a little more volume and build my back a bit. Plus it's less taxing this way, which I need.

The rest was just more work for the back. Hamstrings weren't as sore from Glute Ham raises as I thought they'd be. Been doing a lot of very light chest work on off days. High frequency has always helped me build muscle fast and now that I'm eating a lot more than I was, I feel recovery is happening much better now. Don't know what tomorrow. Maybe easy conditioning, maybe overhead work? Maybe a day off. We'll see.

Front Squat...went deeper then I expected to.

Snatch felt good.

So did wagon wheels, but grip became a limiting factor.

That front squat was really, really fast. And yes, it was deep. No need for weightlifting shoes in that regard.

Looks like the bar wants to run away from you on some reps with the wagon wheels. Makes it a bit annoying to do longer sets when one needs stamina and doing a total reset between reps takes too much time and effort.

That front squat was really, really fast. And yes, it was deep. No need for weightlifting shoes in that regard.

Looks like the bar wants to run away from you on some reps with the wagon wheels. Makes it a bit annoying to do longer sets when one needs stamina and doing a total reset between reps takes too much time and effort.

Yes I agree, it gets away sometimes. I think this is a constant issue with my knees pushing it out a bit. I've been working on my hamstring flexibility so there's less bend in my knees, but I feel so much less powerful off the floor without some forward knee travel. I can't seem to really be able to do touch and go reps very well anymore for whatever reason. Maybe it's that reason?

Yes I agree, it gets away sometimes. I think this is a constant issue with my knees pushing it out a bit. I've been working on my hamstring flexibility so there's less bend in my knees, but I feel so much less powerful off the floor without some forward knee travel. I can't seem to really be able to do touch and go reps very well anymore for whatever reason. Maybe it's that reason?

You think your knees push the bar instead of the bar landing a bit further, making your knees go forward to meet it?

I think it's only natural and beneficial to have a small degree of knee travel. We're stronger that way.

Have you tried stiff leg deadlifts and good mornings for both hamstring strength and flexibility? It appears to me you're big on the Westside training, and they do the good morning a lot, if I understood right it's like their second favourite exercise after the box squat.

You think your knees push the bar instead of the bar landing a bit further, making your knees go forward to meet it?

I think it's only natural and beneficial to have a small degree of knee travel. We're stronger that way.

Have you tried stiff leg deadlifts and good mornings for both hamstring strength and flexibility? It appears to me you're big on the Westside training, and they do the good morning a lot, if I understood right it's like their second favourite exercise after the box squat.

I think in this case the bar just kind of rolled forward. Yes I do GM a bit and RDLs every now and then. It seems my flexibility is actually quite good as I can touch the floor with my palms while ceding over. It may be my short torso or ankles as well. It's hard to say.

I think in this case the bar just kind of rolled forward. Yes I do GM a bit and RDLs every now and then. It seems my flexibility is actually quite good as I can touch the floor with my palms while ceding over. It may be my short torso or ankles as well. It's hard to say.

Sounds like you don't have a flexibility issue there either. You're likely well covered all over in that area.

The stiff leg is a bit different from the RDL and the GM. All worthwhile exercises, though I suspect the GM has become my favorite of late.

Back
Top Bottom